89' Ch Lynch Bages.... Ouch!

Gerry M.

89' Ch Lynch Bages.... Ouch!

Post by Gerry M. »

Not sure how many are familiar with Cellar Raiders in CT but Ben, who runs it, is one of the good guys in the business. I've purchased over 100 bottles from him over the years and never had a dud. His pricing is usually very competitive frequently rivaling average auction cost.

I just checked his site and saw this:

https://cellaraiders.com/products/1989lynchbages

$475/btl, holy sh*t! Really? It's selling too, when I first saw this there were at least 6 bottles and now only 2.

Three years ago I paid $280/btl all-in for a case and thought I overpaid at the time, lol.
JoelD

Re: 89' Ch Lynch Bages.... Ouch!

Post by JoelD »

It's not just the 89 thats going up. A lot of other good vintages are too. The 90/96/2000 for sure. But across the board. Crazy confluence of scarcity and inflation when it comes to wine in general right now.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m not sure I understand the economics of this pandemic. I understand why food and supplies and energy costs have gone up, but I’m not sure I’m understanding the inflation in luxury items, art, wine, real estate, etc. My main house in Maine has doubled in value, and my other house has tripled. I was getting ‘89 Lynch in that $280 range a couple years ago, then in the past year it cost me $410 for three bottles all in.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My three bottles of '89 Lynch literally feel like gold bullion to me!
Attachments
IMG_0845.jpg
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

JimHow wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:13 pm I’m not sure I understand the economics of this pandemic. I understand why food and supplies and energy costs have gone up, but I’m not sure I’m understanding the inflation in luxury items, art, wine, real estate, etc. My main house in Maine has doubled in value, and my other house has tripled. I was getting ‘89 Lynch in that $280 range a couple years ago, then in the past year it cost me $410 for three bottles all in.
It's even more pronounced in those types of items because the rich have gotten richer and want to put their money into potentially appreciating scarce assets. A hedge to hold onto money better against inflation. Potential for beating stock market/hedge against a correction as well.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JoelD wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:10 pm
JimHow wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:13 pm I’m not sure I understand the economics of this pandemic. I understand why food and supplies and energy costs have gone up, but I’m not sure I’m understanding the inflation in luxury items, art, wine, real estate, etc. My main house in Maine has doubled in value, and my other house has tripled. I was getting ‘89 Lynch in that $280 range a couple years ago, then in the past year it cost me $410 for three bottles all in.
It's even more pronounced in those types of items because the rich have gotten richer and want to put their money into potentially appreciating scarce assets. A hedge to hold onto money better against inflation. Potential for beating stock market/hedge against a correction as well.
There’s that, plus the non-1%ers haven't spent much on travel or dining out. Buying luxury goods as a substitute for boredom?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Some people in emerging markets also face deteriorating stores of value in their 'money', so putting their resources into wine may be far more rational than it appears to Westerners. For example: If one was a Turkoman, and had paid an inflated price for a Lynch Bages last week, it would still be better than sitting on a pile of fast moldering Lira today.
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

JimHow wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:37 pm My three bottles of '89 Lynch literally feel like gold bullion to me!
Looks like they have their own bed and silk sheets!
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Gerry M. wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:51 am Not sure how many are familiar with Cellar Raiders in CT but Ben, who runs it, is one of the good guys in the business. I've purchased over 100 bottles from him over the years and never had a dud. His pricing is usually very competitive frequently rivaling average auction cost.
Gerry, have any of you bottles been old/very old? Ben’s prices are often well below auction for those. No photos unless requested and many have no descriptions. I’m tempted but nervous.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Ive had no problems. Most of my buys have been 80's or 90,'s Brdx or Cali Cab. He ships pretty quick 2nd day air. It's a live inventory and good deals move really fast. He has an email list for new cellars and you have to jump fast. He just had a 3 bottle vert of Laurel Glen cab from 92,93 and 94 for $49 bottle that I just missed out on
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Sounds like it is the time to get some counterfeit out....