What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

jckba

Re: What are we drinking in the booster boon?

Post by jckba »

Lovely bell pepper, black raspberry and gravelly scents that give way to an expressive blast of dark cherry that is light on its feet and finesse driven with an encompassing herbal touch that lingers. 93+
EAC35499-1BBA-45EB-B02C-04751CC753C1.jpeg
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

In the last week, opened a 2010 Chateau Carcannieux Médoc that was very nice for the price. A light evolution is started, but this is quite good, in a medium body philosophy.

Opened also a 2020 Chateau Castenet Entre-Deux-Mers. I though was ok and good, quaffable, but a bit light. Not as complex and less concentrated than the 2018 i had 18 months ago.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

2020 Mommessin Beaujolais-Villages. I know very little about Beaujolais but I tried a 17 Mommessin a few months back and enjoyed it very much. Now the 2020's have arrived I've stocked up. This is a very pleasant, mid week wine.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

2008 JF Mugnier NSG Clos Marechale 1er Cru.
This is the 6th and final bottle in the case, and was very dark in colour for a Burgundy, slight browing at the rim but very good condition.
Seemed younger than the last few I have drunk.
Nose was smoky, with vanilla, sawn wood, earth, dark fruits, forest floor and savoury notes.
Palate is medium bodied, and was initially a bit reticent. Took some time to develop in the Riedel glasses, revealing a complex palate of dark cherry, plum, cassis and redcurrant, with moderate tannin and acidity. The oak is quite firm, and seems a little dominant to me. The nose in some ways was better than the palate, though it was a very good wine without hitting any real highs. I'd like a bit more mid palate fruit and softer oak treatment.

Prior bottles had a more distinct iron/rust character and I think it was a bit overpowering. There was better fruit here, and more tannins.

2008 was a vintage beset with downy mildew. Although there is no evidence of rot or any form of spoilage, the wine showed quite well, but lacking the fruit intensity of better vintages such as 2005.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

This bottle was quite nice. Not too young, not too old.
9E702813-40B9-4D2B-8FB2-CEDD62C38C51.jpeg
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

0281DE49-08B6-49D5-9BE8-D35DFC19DE61.jpeg

In a perfect drinking window, an impeccable old world St Em. I’d say stock up on these wines pre-2012, as Uncle Rollo is now in charge.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Tell us more Robert about the 1998 Figeac. I have found it to be evolving at a glacial pace in recent years but have not popped one in quite a while. Is it in the sweet spot or will it continue to improve? I.e., does it need a Blanquito or two?
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

This in two different glasses, good in both and better in the 1855 than the Lehmann, which is superb for northern and southern rhone.

This Baudry married superbly with a veal chop flash fried seared then in the oven for a few minutes with herbs
C099D293-2526-4EE8-8F83-6328385318FF.jpeg
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:45 pm Tell us more Robert about the 1998 Figeac. I have found it to be evolving at a glacial pace in recent years but have not popped one in quite a while.

Absolutely gorgeous nose of rich dank earth, Maduro tobacco leaf, brambly dark fruits and some saddle leather. A hint of mint. Mouthfeel is broad, in impeccable balance, showing deep dark fruits with firm acid, wet earth tones, meat and some savory, briny notes. While the wine is perfectly ripe for my palate, shows a very subtle note of green, an herbaceous background that Figeac often shows, definitely more so in vintages like 99, 01 and 04. The whole package is framed by aged barn planks, adding a soft, subtle oak spice to the wine. Tannins close to fully integrated. This wine was just one small baby step above the 2000 Trotanoy that I had on Thursday with BobbyG.

(96 pts.)
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:52 pm This in two different glasses, good in both and better in the 1855 than the Lehmann, which is superb for northern and southern rhone.

This Baudry married superbly with a veal chop flash fried seared then in the oven for a few minutes with herbs

C099D293-2526-4EE8-8F83-6328385318FF.jpeg
Awesome, love this cuvée. Had the 2015 this past week just for shits and giggles, obviously needs way more time but still delish.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:54 pm
Comte Flaneur wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:45 pm Tell us more Robert about the 1998 Figeac. I have found it to be evolving at a glacial pace in recent years but have not popped one in quite a while.

Absolutely gorgeous nose of rich dank earth, Maduro tobacco leaf, brambly dark fruits and some saddle leather. A hint of mint. Mouthfeel is broad, in impeccable balance, showing deep dark fruits with firm acid, wet earth tones, meat and some savory, briny notes. While the wine is perfectly ripe for my palate, shows a very subtle note of green, an herbaceous background that Figeac often shows, definitely more so in vintages like 99, 01 and 04. The whole package is framed by aged barn planks, adding a soft, subtle oak spice to the wine. Tannins close to fully integrated. This wine was just one small baby step above the 2000 Trotanoy that I had on Thursday with BobbyG.

(96 pts.)
Nice! thanks!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I saved about 1/4 bottle of the 1998 Figeac since I was drinking solo. Gosh is it on fire right now. Reminds me more of the 1990, taking on even more rich dark wet soil tones. This is a magnificent wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think it was one of my wines of the night at a recent BWE convention, where were we, was that in DC or Denver that we had the little mini vertical of Figeac?
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

2020 Dos Minas Torrontes. If you want summer in a bottle, try some Torrontes from Salta, Argentina. Hugely floral, crisp, simple. I love Torrontes.

SF Ed
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:07 am I saved about 1/4 bottle of the 1998 Figeac since I was drinking solo. Gosh is it on fire right now. Reminds me more of the 1990, taking on even more rich dark wet soil tones. This is a magnificent wine.
Oh boy, this makes me a little giddy as the 90 Figeac is a come to heaven wine for me.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:30 am
OrlandoRobert wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:07 am I saved about 1/4 bottle of the 1998 Figeac since I was drinking solo. Gosh is it on fire right now. Reminds me more of the 1990, taking on even more rich dark wet soil tones. This is a magnificent wine.
Oh boy, this makes me a little giddy as the 90 Figeac is a come to heaven wine for me.
I think the 98 is better, more crisp acid. I love that 1990 as well, but it is definitely kissed by the sunshine of that vintage.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Last night, a really lovely bottle of the 01 Leoville Barton. Wonderful, classic bouquet and the palate isn’t far behind with good depth.

Also, a promising 05 Giscours that still needs 5 or probably 10 years to unwind, but has excellent depth and balance, it’s just buttoned up.

Finally, a disappointing 09 GPL, which was at once both mute and soft, with a slightly cloying overripe merlot profile that didn’t charm. It did firm up a little with air, but overall just boring. I have more, so I’ll hold and hope it just needs time.
jckba

Post by jckba »

3A3D9BDD-3DD5-4040-B1E6-7B5E7A051823.jpeg
2012 Malescot St Exupery; really superb aromomatics of blackberry, lavender and wet earth that leads to a sweet, plush, mouth coating black cherry fruited expression that is still a little too cedary and drying at present. 90
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:10 am I think it was one of my wines of the night at a recent BWE convention, where were we, was that in DC or Denver that we had the little mini vertical of Figeac?
DC March 2020, just before lockdown. One of my favorites that night too.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:38 pm
I think the 98 is better, more crisp acid. I love that 1990 as well, but it is definitely kissed by the sunshine of that vintage.
So, having won a 3 bottle lot of the 98 Figeac recently (for an irrational sum of money), I bid on another 3 bottle lot for the same amount, as your note on the 98 came right after I landed the first lot… well, my irrationally high bid on the second lot got crushed! Even though only a week later. I think your note was to blame/thank, OB!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:27 pm
OrlandoRobert wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:38 pm

So, having won a 3 bottle lot of the 98 Figeac recently (for an irrational sum of money), I bid on another 3 bottle lot for the same amount, as your note on the 98 came right after I landed the first lot… well, my irrationally high bid on the second lot got crushed! Even though only a week later. I think your note was to blame/thank, OB!
Yak palate #winning
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

1990 Albert Boxler Grand Cru Riesling Sommerberg.
Karl came by at lunchtime yesterday with this bottle. We had a couple small glasses while he talked about his travels in French wine country. I had to get a little more work done, so he left and I brought the 1/2 full bottle home to drink with turkey later today.
I've never had a GC dry riesling young or old, but I can say this was well worth waiting for.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Racer Chris wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:29 pm 1990 Albert Boxler Grand Cru Riesling Sommerberg.
Karl came by at lunchtime yesterday with this bottle. We had a couple small glasses while he talked about his travels in French wine country. I had to get a little more work done, so he left and I brought the 1/2 full bottle home to drink with turkey later today.
I've never had a GC dry riesling young or old, but I can say this was well worth waiting for.
We had the 2014 of this recently and it was great, one of the wines of the night (and one of the cheapest too, best value). I could see it going another 25 years easily, especially in a great vintage like 1990.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JoelD wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:08 pm
Racer Chris wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:29 pm 1990 Albert Boxler Grand Cru Riesling Sommerberg.
We had the 2014 of this recently and it was great, one of the wines of the night (and one of the cheapest too, best value). I could see it going another 25 years easily, especially in a great vintage like 1990.
This bottle had some complex flavors that Karl and I attributed to botrytis, but my dad thought he tasted sherry notes. Those attributes were less noticeable alongside dinner. My wife says she doesn't like Riesling but also she said she would drink this any time - until I told her about current vintage prices.
AKR

Post by AKR »

the PN has a pretty label
the PN has a pretty label
I arrived to family's house a little late for Thanksgiving, and everyone had already started pulling corks.

NV Michel Sarrazin [Cremant de Bourgogne] their feedstock for mimosas. it seemed a touch sweet to me
NV Roederer Estate [California] reliable as always
2018 Nielson Chardonnay [Santa Barbara] some tropical notes, but generally kind of dull. I think this is Byron's second label? someone liked it, saying it was the first Chardonnay they could tolerate -- they only drink Sauvignon Blanc for the last decade apparently. screwcapped
2017 Voix de la Vigne [Willamette Valley] pretty label, but a dilute pinot, that seems to be a multi AVA, multi vineyard grab bag. screwcapped
2018 Sea Smoke 'Southing Vyd' Pinot Noir [Sta Rita Hills] popped and poured, and perhaps some air or decanting would have helped, as it was tight and ungenerous.
maybe this needed some air?
maybe this needed some air?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

2015 Chateau Canon, St. Emilion

I assume eventually it may no longer be cool to be uncool and contrarian about these modern Bordeaux, but damn I did not like this wine. Sure, some of that could be vestiges of the past, knowing what this wine once was, but a merlot-dominant Bordeaux clocking in at 15%+ just ain’t for me. I found this massively-extracted, lush wine to be gloppy and clumsy. The Somm even called out “raisins,” which was apropos to me. Not the most ideal time to check in on a Bordeaux but when a friend brings it to dinner, a friend must drink it, right? CT notes are glowing over this wine, ever very recent notes. FWIW, I have not liked a single St Em from 2015, even the Ausone teetered over the brink to me. If you like this modernized style of Bordeaux, I actually think the 2014 and 2016 Canon are both better, with 2016 by far the winner of the trio.
Last edited by OrlandoRobert on Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I got two cases of the 2015 Canon, OB, at $94 per bottle.
I was just checking the wine searcher prices last night, averaging over $300.
I've never sold wine from my cellar but I don't know if I'll ever drink those cases.
I'll likely hold for at least another couple of blanquitos.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 pm I got two cases of the 2015 Canon, OB, at $94 per bottle.
I've never sold wine from my cellar but I don't know if I'll ever drink those cases.
Jim you may like this wine. I am clearly the outlier, if you look at CT.
marcs

Post by marcs »

What is the aging potential? I am sitting on three bottles in perfect condition, which I got cheaply from perhaps my all time best auction score :D
Last edited by marcs on Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcs

Post by marcs »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:12 pm
JimHow wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 pm I got two cases of the 2015 Canon, OB, at $94 per bottle.
Jim you may like this wine. I am clearly the outlier, if you look at CT.
The 2015 Canon was another of those recent vintage Bordeaux I experienced as super polished and deep fruit but essentially soulless/boring. It may unfurl with age though, and Jim likes his fruity right bankers so...
marcs

Post by marcs »

Blanquito wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:14 pm Last night, a really lovely bottle of the 01 Leoville Barton. Wonderful, classic bouquet and the palate isn’t far behind with good depth.

Also, a promising 05 Giscours that still needs 5 or probably 10 years to unwind, but has excellent depth and balance, it’s just buttoned up.

Finally, a disappointing 09 GPL, which was at once both mute and soft, with a slightly cloying overripe merlot profile that didn’t charm. It did firm up a little with air, but overall just boring. I have more, so I’ll hold and hope it just needs time.
We don’t have identical palates, since I’ve been pretty turned off to Leoville Barton lately, and I like that 2009 GPL. I agree with you it has the 2009 voluptuous quality and lacks some left bank bite, but I like its balance and ease. I also think it is somewhat shut down and will reveal a lot more complexity with age. I’m intrigued by how the 2009s have been hedonistic and charming (although soft and a bit out of focus) even during their shut down phase and think their true nature is yet to be fully revealed. It’s kind of like the 2005s were intensely fruity even when shut down, except 09 doesn’t have all that stiff tannin and aggressive acidity that warned you off the 05s
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

marcs wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:43 pm
What is the aging potential? I am sitting on three bottles in perfect condition, which I got cheaply from perhaps my all time best auction score :D
There is zero rush. I think it is just starting its drinking window and will run for decades.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

marcs wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:54 pm
Blanquito wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:14 pm Last night, a really lovely bottle of the 01 Leoville Barton. Wonderful, classic bouquet and the palate isn’t far behind with good depth.

We don’t have identical palates, since I’ve been pretty turned off to Leoville Barton lately, and I like that 2009 GPL. I agree with you it has the 2009 voluptuous quality and lacks some left bank bite, but I like its balance and ease. I also think it is somewhat shut down and will reveal a lot more complexity with age. I’m intrigued by how the 2009s have been hedonistic and charming (although soft and a bit out of focus) even during their shut down phase and think their true nature is yet to be fully revealed. It’s kind of like the 2005s were intensely fruity even when shut down, except 09 doesn’t have all that stiff tannin and aggressive acidity that warned you off the 05s
I used to feel so-so about Leoville Barton. On paper, it seemed like a wine that should be in my wheelhouse and the pricing was/is fair for a 2nd Growth of good repute. So I tried plenty of their wines from the 80’s (but never the 85) snd some from the 70’s, and they were at best workman-like and plenty were quite bad during what was a glorious era for the Gironde at large (78-90). And while I do like the 90 and good bottles of that have really come on strong in recent years, the 90’s were otherwise never exciting at this address as well.

But something clicked around 2000. Unlike most chateau in Bordeaux, I actually believe that Barton did start making its best wine in its history.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Amazing how Magdelaine performs in so-called off-years! This 2007 is open for business and is so damn enjoyable. Impeccable balance and weight, so food friendly. Really pretty perfume of light Bordeaux funk, sous bois, petrichor and fragrant red fruits. Bramble and spice to the fruits, tobacco leaf, tilled soil, soft plums, and some closing blood orange citrus notes. Tannins largely resolved, just lovely round merlot fruit and earth in this elegant beauty. In the zone and likely not for the long haul.

(92 pts.)

DD481F11-65C7-4791-B3C8-6431F5BD6526.jpeg
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:32 am Amazing how Magdelaine performs in so-called off-years! This 2007 is open for business and is so damn enjoyable. Impeccable balance and weight, so food friendly. Really pretty perfume of light Bordeaux funk, sous bois, petrichor and fragrant red fruits. Bramble and spice to the fruits, tobacco leaf, tilled soil, soft plums, and some closing blood orange citrus notes. Tannins largely resolved, just lovely round merlot fruit and earth in this elegant beauty. In the zone and likely not for the long haul.

(92 pts.)

DD481F11-65C7-4791-B3C8-6431F5BD6526.jpeg
I was offered a case in London for around $60 a bottle. If interested, happy to pass on info.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Chateau Senejac 2016, Dark fruits, oak/smoke, great balance already some complexity there. Great QPR.
marcs

Post by marcs »

marcs wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:54 pm

Following up on my GPL comment -- I see the latest CT note on the 2009 GPL expresses my view on the wine exactly:
This is a work horse Pauillac. Full, ripe red and black fruits delivered with sublime acidity that nearly mirrors the acidity of the human palate. This is not a blockbuster wine of concentration. Nor is it a wine that is really ready to consume. Sure, it’s approachable now, but there is enough tension hidden behind the well balanced tannin, acidity, and fruit that it’s easy to dismiss this wine as boring. My hunch is that this is a wonderful GPL in a dumb phase, and it’s so easy drinking now that this phase seems incomprehensible as “dumb.”
That's my view, many 2009 left banks are "shut down" but they are so easy and voluptuous they just seem boring instead of closed.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I hope you’re right about the 09 GPL. I am definitely willing to give my remaining bottles more time to sort themselves out.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had a bottle of the 00 Tour Martillac yesterday. Solid, pleasant, good with steak but nothing to write home about. Still has some rustic structure to resolve but not sure it gets better
DavidG

Re: What are we drinking in the omicron crunch?

Post by DavidG »

2014 Lilian Ladouys - Good/very good, hoping it might show a bit more in a couple of years but a decent non-serious quaff.