So what have you bought lately?

Musigny 151

Re: So what have you bought lately?

Post by Musigny 151 »

An interesting 6 Pack of Prum Graacher. A vertical direct from the winery. Not cheap, but something to enjoy while my 2019 Prums mature.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

4 x 2017 Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissee
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Musigny 151 wrote:An interesting 6 Pack of Prum Graacher. A vertical direct from the winery. Not cheap, but something to enjoy while my 2019 Prums mature.
Musigny,

how long would you generally age your prums?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

A case of 2005 Chateau Magdelaine, to split with a buddy whose name is not Bobby Goulet.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

OrlandoRobert wrote:A case of 2005 Chateau Magdelaine, to split with a buddy whose name is not Bobby Goulet.
Super jealous! I bought just a few of these as futures ($45 per, sob) as I wasn’t really a Magdelaine guy that far back. But that’s it.

Have you tried the 05?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote:
OrlandoRobert wrote:A case of 2005 Chateau Magdelaine, to split with a buddy whose name is not Bobby Goulet.
Super jealous! I bought just a few of these as futures ($45 per, sob) as I wasn’t really a Magdelaine guy that far back. But that’s it.

Have you tried the 05?
It’s one of the very few vintages of note that I have not tried. Excited though.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I just checked wine searcher, and I don't even see any 2005 Magdelaine for sale in the USA at all. You must have cleaned them out!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote:I just checked wine searcher, and I don't even see any 2005 Magdelaine for sale in the USA at all. You must have cleaned them out!

We have friends in high places!

8-)
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Chateau Vin wrote:
Musigny 151 wrote:An interesting 6 Pack of Prum Graacher. A vertical direct from the winery. Not cheap, but something to enjoy while my 2019 Prums mature.
Musigny,

how long would you generally age your prums?
Start around 15 years, and they will improve for fifty plus. The 1971 Zeltinger Auslese not their best vineyard by any means, was sublime last year, and still amazingly fresh. I have gone very long on 2019, but these will likely enjoyed by my son.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
Blanquito wrote:I just checked wine searcher, and I don't even see any 2005 Magdelaine for sale in the USA at all. You must have cleaned them out!

We have friends in high places!

8-)
A brilliant Magdelaine.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Chateau Vin wrote:
Musigny 151 wrote: how long would you generally age your prums?
I drank a 1976 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese earlier this year. It was incredible.
Likewise, a 1979 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Auslese, was also in great form in August this year.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We used to have a fellow by the name of Pappa Doc here on BWE, RC, he was a lover of aged German wines...
Ah, we drank some beauties with him in the greater Scarsdale/Bronxville/Lower Manhattan neighborhoods, back in the day....
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

A bit of an assortment, ordered from Saratoga Wine this morning.
1 2015 Gérard Bertrand Picpoul de Pinet
1 2015 Le Baron de Brane
1 2016 Château La Tour de Mons
3 2016 Château du Retout
1 2016 Château Lanessan
3 2008 Château Lilian Ladouys
2 2018 Château Lilian Ladouys
1 2014 Pauillac de Pichon Lalande
2 2016 Château de Chantegrive Cuvée Caroline
1 NV Pol Roger Champagne Brut Réserve
1 NV Gaston Chiquet Champagne Premier Cru Tradition Brut
1 NV Pierre Moncuit Champagne Cuvée Hugues de Coulmet Blanc de Blancs Brut
jckba

Post by jckba »

Picked up a case of the 2014 d’Issan from Zachys @ $50.99/btl + tax using the ‘knockknock15’ coupon code and then with future consignment sale proceeds, I grabbed a 6er of mags of the 2019 Coudert Clos de la Roilette Cuvee Tardives @ $48.40/btl, a case of the 2017 Charvin CdP @ $46.20/btl, a case of the 2018 Saint Prefert Auguste Favier CdP @ $53.17/btl as well as a 6er of the 2018 Saint Prefert Charles Giraud CdP @ $96.07/btl.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I have not been able to get that Zachys coupon code to work...
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I bought quite a lot of 2019 en primeur Bordeaux, mainly Medocs but also some St Emilion and Pessac, a few months back.
Yes that included D'Issan, a wine I have not bought since (gulp) 1982 and 1983 vintages.
It was my intention to give the campaign a miss but I busted. Since I could not go to France this year I invested said funds in wine!

In recent months I have however been using my cash to buy undervalued shares on the stock market instead.
However, I did today buy a mixed case of 2018 Justin Girardin red Burgundies (SLB, Santenay, etc), plus a mixed case of Australian Chardonnays and reds for everyday drinking.
Unless I expect to live a very long time, I really do not intend buying more en primeur stock.
I have a lot of en primeur purchases in the storage facility and the oldest in any quantity (with the exception of a few odd bottles here and there) is 2005.
Most are however 2009, 2010, 2016 with smaller amounts of 2014, a few 2012's and 2015's.
The very oldest wines I still have are one sole 1995 Haut Brion, a few 1998 Pape Clements, plus some 1995 Port and a few top 1996 Australian reds.
If I had my time over again, I would have held more of the older stock I liquidated in 2010 onwards from my storage unit in Australia. Yet moving wine here is risky (heat damage particularly) and expensive and that put me off.

Similarly, most of the Burgundies I have a relatively young (the oldest in any quantity is 2005) though 2005, 2009 and 2010 are very tasty now if you want more fruit and less aged characters.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

6 chateau d'issan 2016 at 41£ a bottle Vat and duty included,
stefan

Post by stefan »

4 Philippe Prie Brut Tradition @ $25

for drinking tonight through tomorrow morning.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

3 bottles of 2018 Glantenay Volnay.

Nic
Claret

Post by Claret »

JimHow wrote:We used to have a fellow by the name of Pappa Doc here on BWE, RC, he was a lover of aged German wines...
Ah, we drank some beauties with him in the greater Scarsdale/Bronxville/Lower Manhattan neighborhoods, back in the day....
A bottle of 1976 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese consumed at Gio's with PappaDoc(John Dawson), Wuzz_up, his brother Jon and others is indelibly etched into my memory bank.

John generously gifted me a nice 01 Auslese that I will open next year in his honor.
Glenn
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Because the 2014 and 2016 versions have gotten good press here and elsewhere, I caved to the temptation and purchased a case of the 2018 Lilian Ladouys.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Picked up a case of the 2015 Pian dell Orino BdM via wholesale through Polaner and while it is getting more expensive I still think it represents value.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

12 x 2017 Bernard Moreau Bourgogne Blanc @ £22 = $29 each
6 x 2017 Michel Niellon CM 1er Cru Chaumes CdlTruffiere @£58 =$76 each
jckba

Post by jckba »

I’d be a buyer of those Niellons at that price too as the 2018 1er Crus have ballooned to $127.50/cost through Bowler, ah the joys of our lovely 3 tiered system coupled with tariffs ...
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I am loading up on 2027 white burgs JC:

I also managed to buy some 2017 Louis Michel 1er Cru Chablis six of each Butteaux @£125ib and Montmains @110ib; these work out at £24/$32 and £28/$36 pb respectively after tax.

And also finally some GPL 2016 at £325ib for six, which works out at £68/$89 pb after tax.

Almost done now. For lifetime purchases.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ian, your prices make me want to move to the UK.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:Ian, your prices make me want to move to the UK.
Yes, that... and the weather.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Almost done now. For lifetime purchases.
I guess we're all liars on BWE.

I bought some car repairs this week. And I don't even drive my car, MC's driving it...

I was ok to get few bottles:

2015 Cantina di Montalcino Brunello di Montalcino
2016 La Pianette Fratorria Fabbiano
2016 Domaine des carabiniers Lirac blanc
2019 Anselmi San Vincenzo

Opened the Anselmi with sushis tonight, as it has been a long time since i had a basic Anselmi white, it is a good wine, commercial style to have success with the masses, well made. Nice melon, dry hay, citrus aromas, with a decent light mouth of salty mineral water, light lemon skin flavors. Not very long and after 15 min in the glass, is losing almost everything. Tn: a big NO.

I was ready to buy some Barbaresco from Chiarlo and/or Sottimano, but seems like they sold out already.

Nic
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I ordered a case of two different wines from a Chicago retailer where I used to shop. I had to travel to Chicago today, I planned was to pick up the two cases. When they went to bring out the wines, they were gone for several minutes, and then came back to tell me that whoever filled the order set aside one bottle of each wine rather than 1 case of each. And they had since sold out of both wines. I passed on the two bottles. :(
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ugh, sorry Jon. $hit happens, still sucks.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Fully agree with David, that’s $hitty and I would have probably looked to have seen whether they could extend some kind of goodwill discounted purchase considering their mistake but then again, I could see wanting to spend my money elsewhere too.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

If you had already paid for the two cases, I would think they were obligated to go back into the marketplace to replace them. If not obligated, then at the very least strongly motivated.

Stu
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
stefan

Post by stefan »

What Stuart said. If you had paid, they made a contract with you and have a legal obligation to provide you what they sold to you. In practice, it is too much of a hassle to try to enforce the contract, but bringing up the possibility should encourage the store to offer you a substitute that is too your satisfaction.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

9 cases arrived yesterday, 1 from WineBid, 8 from K&L. Mostly bubbly, Bojo and Baudry, and various chardonnay.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

They take a card, but do not charge until you pick up. Depending on which person you ask, they will hold them somewhere between 48 hours and 2 weeks. I've had them hold things for 2 weeks routinely. They just did not pull the stock correctly. The disappointment for me is that for one of the wines, they are the only retailer I can find that carries it. And the other case was just a very good price that will not be seen again for the current vintage.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Blanquito wrote:9 cases arrived yesterday, 1 from WineBid, 8 from K&L. Mostly bubbly, Bojo and Baudry, and various chardonnay.
Blanquito forgot this is a BORDEAUX group.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

S*d*r
Well yes but the question does allow for non-Bdx wines.
So in my case I’ve bought more red Burgundy and various white and red Aust wines.
I’m also single handedly trying to save Champagne by buying case loads of NV from Piper Heidseick, Nicolas Feuillatte and Billecart Salmon.

But have no fear as I did buy a half a pallet load of 2019 EP Bordeaux a few months ago. I just hope I last as long as the wine. I said that 2016 was going to be my last EP campaign but c’est la vie.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I broke my lifetime fast from more wine purchases and bought 12 bottles of 2017 Felsina Berardega chianti from Zach's at $21 per bottle based on the enablement of RC, JC, CF, and others here on BWE.
marcs

Post by marcs »

It's starting to sound like we should maybe revive the "moratorium" discussion for 2021 as I am seeing a number of people starting to refer to "lifetime bans". I too feel like I now have a lifetime supply, after perhaps my biggest buying year ever. The 2020 "moratorium" was the biggest failure in the entire history of moratoriums on anything, but hope springs eternal!

My buying is slowing down now but I did purchase 3*2016 Branaire Ducru (now up to 8 bottles of that wine and happy with that amount), 4*2014 Gruaud Larose (increasing interest in Gruaud after that sensational 2004 I had), 2*2013 PYCM Puligny Montrachet Champs Gain. The Bordeaux were $60-70, the PYCM was $130 but I had it and it is a fantastic wine that strikes me as being of grand cru weight.

I also learned that MacArthurs had re-opened for in person shopping and in a fit of nostalgia for pre-Covid days I dropped by. The damage was significant but not severe, a "sampler" type purchase of the kind that happens with in-person browsing. 1*2015 Gruaud Larose (possible gateway drug for more purchases of that wine, so the damage may not be limited to one bottle), 1*2017 Felettig Chambolle Musigny Vieille Vignes, 1*2017 Hudelot Noellat Chambolle Musigny, 1*2015 Remi Jobard Meursault Sous La Velle, 1*2017 PYCM Pernand Vergelesses Sous Fretilles. All around the $45-65 range except the Gruaud that was $80.

Last night I tried the 2017 Felettig (that was the $45 bottle) and it was very good in a charming villages kind of way. Took 60-90 minutes to open up (a lesson I have been slowly learning, with some pain along the way, is that unlike Bordeaux you HAVE to decant Burgundy). Cherry skins and subtly exotic spices as it opened up, dark-fruited, light but solidly substantial if that makes sense.

Also had the 2015 Remi Jobard Meursault, very nice if you like a lighter style of Meursault, not very 2015 or Meursault in that sense, but a sneaky pineapple-like sweetness mixed in with lemon lime freshness and good sustain throughout the palate. Clearly significantly better than a "standard" Chardonnay but in a subtle and not an obtrusive way.
marcs

Post by marcs »

s*d*r wrote:
Blanquito wrote:9 cases arrived yesterday, 1 from WineBid, 8 from K&L. Mostly bubbly, Bojo and Baudry, and various chardonnay.
Blanquito forgot this is a BORDEAUX group.
we've experienced significant slippage on that in recent years. With that said I feel like I'm rediscovering, as I periodically do, that aged Bordeaux is the best value wine in the world. That 2004 Gruaud I had -- no other wine region in the world gives you that quality for that price. To say nothing of the 2000 Lanessan I raved about a while ago. Something I left out of my post above -- I also reloaded on a half case of the 2000 Lanessan at $35/bottle.