President Trump

Racer Chris

Re: President Trump

Post by Racer Chris »

I guess CNN is reporting that his bible photo op was a reaction to his thought that people were laughing at him for hiding in a bunker over the weekend.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I like this governor of Michigan.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just got word that the opera season in NYC is cancelled through Dec. 31st.
It is sad that hundreds of people will lose their jobs but thank goodness, heaven forbid that anyone should be in close proximity to each other....
I didn't catch any of the Fauci/Birx press conferences this week and CNN doesn't seem to be posting the latest death numbers anymore, what's the latest update on the world-ending pandemic?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Racer Chris wrote:I guess CNN is reporting that his bible photo op was a reaction to his thought that people were laughing at him for hiding in a bunker over the weekend.
Not only is he the biggest piece of trash that has ever occupied the office, he is now officially the biggest pussy.

God do I miss Obama. And God do I lament our choices for 2020.

Sorry Jim if I crossed the line here. Was so offensive to watch his presser. Delete my post if necessary, dinner is on me when you come to town!

8-)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lol...
No need to apologize, Bobby, I'm with you.
I think I rated Barack the 8th greatest president a while back.
My jaw was dropped tonight during that hour of prime time.
You have the peaceful crowd.
Then Barr shows up on the north lawn.
Then the military starts stepping forward towards the peaceful crowd.
Then we get word that Orange is going to do an address in the Rose Garden, with like 8 members of the press there.
Then he starts speaking about "protecting the peaceful protesters" at like the exact moment they start attacking the peaceful protesters.
And then, incredibly, he walks across the street and holds up a bible.
It truly was amazing to watch. We are truly a clown show.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote: pandemic?
Pandemic? What Pandemic?
At least the peaceful protesters tonight in Minneapolis are wearing masks.
dhp

Post by dhp »

JimHow wrote:Just got word that the opera season in NYC is cancelled through Dec. 31st.
It is sad that hundreds of people will lose their jobs but thank goodness, heaven forbid that anyone should be in close proximity to each other....
I didn't catch any of the Fauci/Birx press conferences this week and CNN doesn't seem to be posting the latest death numbers anymore, what's the latest update on the world-ending pandemic?
Jim,

Even in "lockdown", NYC still gets about 500 new cases of Coronavirus daily. I don't think it's necessary to try and minimize the danger of the virus in an extremely densely populated city like NYC that has already been devastated by the virus.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m in Maine, dhp, safely distanced like my governor tells me to be.
With the exception of one quick trip to the Portsmouth NH liquor store and one surgical strike into Manhattan in which I had contact with nobody, I have complied completely with the laws of Maine in the past three months. I have been isolated completely from all but one person for the past three months, except during my weekly masked trips to the supermarket. I didn’t quite see the same level of discipline in the streets across the country in the past week.
I comment only out of shock of the lack of social distancing that I’m seeing from New Yorkers in Union Square this past week, especially in light of the statistics you are citing. I’m very socially distanced where I am, here in the woods of Maine. The New Yorkers I’m watching on the news don’t seem to be. I hope there is a functioning society to return to when I come out of the woods. I know my clients who have been sitting in jail, some of them for more than a year now with no prospects of a trial date, hope so too. Hopefully all this pain will be worth only losing 77 people, mostly in nursing homes, out of our 1.4 million population.
dhp

Post by dhp »

Sorry Jim, thought it was a comment on the social distancing measures in place, not the lack thereof exhibited by the protesters. I don't doubt your own adherence to your region's guidelines.

I suspect that these social distancing measures will prove to have been overdone in less densely populated areas. Unfortunately, based on what I'm hearing from a couple hospitals here, there is still so much coronavirus prevalent at baseline in NYC that I'm not convinced this city will be able to fully open up for a sustained period of time.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I love New York City, dhp, it is the greatest place in the solar system.
It just breaks my heart to see what’s happening there.
I spend a lot of time there. I hope it recovers in some manageable amount of time in the not too distant future.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
Racer Chris wrote:I guess CNN is reporting that his bible photo op was a reaction to his thought that people were laughing at him for hiding in a bunker over the weekend.
Not only is he the biggest piece of trash that has ever occupied the office, he is now officially the biggest pussy.

God do I miss Obama. And God do I lament our choices for 2020.

Sorry Jim if I crossed the line here. Was so offensive to watch his presser. Delete my post if necessary, dinner is on me when you come to town!

8-)
Missing Obama? Everyone should be missing Dubya...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Heck, by current standards, Eisenhower was one of the great democrat presidents. And Nixon would have been too but for the whole abuse of power and racist thang.*

*I’m sure there have been racist Democrats who occupied the Oval Office, but the Ds haven’t run and governed that way probably since the 19th century... it was Truman after all who finally desegregated the military in 1948, just the first step in the long and ongoing road to end Jim Croce.
dhp

Post by dhp »

I've been mostly holed up at home and it's tough to assess the damage while everything is in lockdown. But I do dread the possibility that we'll emerge from lockdown to find a city we no longer recognize. I also believe that the city and many other cities will rebound very quickly once the virus is overcome. The hardest hit will also rebound fastest. Unfortunately, I'm not sure confident for the rest of the country.

I am watching a video of President George W Bush's last press conference. A line that stuck out to me by President Bush: https://youtu.be/ZZkKTTZuxO8?t=195

"One common area in the four of us [himself and the previous 3 presidents]... we've all experienced what it means to assume the responsibility of the presidency."
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

George Will, who would never be mistaken as anything close to a liberal, wrote a blistering opinion piece in yesterday's Washington Post. Title was "Trump must be removed. So must his congressional enablers."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JCNorthway wrote:George Will, who would never be mistaken as anything close to a liberal, wrote a blistering opinion piece in yesterday's Washington Post. Title was "Trump must be removed. So must his congressional enablers."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Wow. Perfectly stated.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, and like he says at the end, "there is no such thing as rock bottom" with this clown.
And he wrote this article before last night, which was a new rock bottom for even Orange Head.
By the time this is over we will be in awe at the depths to which this guy will sink us.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Guess who was Attorney General the last time the Insurrection Act of 1807 was invoked?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Same dude, during Rodney King. That was quite a sight, last night, the general commanding his troops from the north lawn.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Jim, you’ve said you think Pence is worse than Trump, and he may well be, but for me it’s Barr. That guy is the Joseph Goebbels of the Trump administration. Beyond his policies, his speeches stoking the culture wars, calling the “struggle” between secular forces and the Christian Right a war between “good and evil”, are beyond odious and toxic.
AKR

Post by AKR »

dhp wrote:I've been mostly holed up at home and it's tough to assess the damage while everything is in lockdown. But I do dread the possibility that we'll emerge from lockdown to find a city we no longer recognize. I also believe that the city and many other cities will rebound very quickly once the virus is overcome. The hardest hit will also rebound fastest. Unfortunately, I'm not sure confident for the rest of the country.

I am watching a video of President George W Bush's last press conference. A line that stuck out to me by President Bush: https://youtu.be/ZZkKTTZuxO8?t=195

"One common area in the four of us [himself and the previous 3 presidents]... we've all experienced what it means to assume the responsibility of the presidency."
I think it's pretty optimistic to think burned out cities, infected subways, broken finances, suspended city services etc. are going to help cities recover faster than other areas, like suburbs etc. This whole Work From Home thing may not endure over the long haul, but I could see it being impactful over the next 5 years. A ton of firms are happy to relocated high paid staff out of high cost cities, and unlike the past, this time the employees are quite eager to get out, especially if they have school age kids / medical issues.

I used to have season tix to the opera (City Opera in NYC when Gotham could support two troupes) but if all those cultural activities are shut down, its hard to see any reason for staying in the city. (Unless one wants to toast marshmallows in the embers of Macys Herald Sq.)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just listened to Orange's phone conference with the governors. He is literally insane!

https://www.sunjournal.com/2020/06/01/l ... gov-mills/
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
ChannelNewsAsia is a pretty good source for the Covid-19 data:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/to ... 032020_cna

Total global cases now 3,364,200 and deaths are 379,627.

CNA has also reported numerous research articles since December regarding the varying strains of the virus which I have not seen elsewhere.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:I just listened to Orange's phone conference with the governors. He is literally insane!
Apparently so is about 33% of the American populace - All those who are willing to accept his reality as theirs.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Trump is only concerned with getting re-elected and the Repub agenda, nothing more. While DC was burning he panders to the gun people by mention the Second Amendment and then pulls the Major Frank Burns bible stunt to appeal to his base. His ego is so big he cannot allow himself to fathom the possibility of failure. Win at any cost.
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Joe up by 11 points in new Monmouth poll:

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-instit ... US_060320/

Even I'm starting to get excited.
Can we have the election next Tuesday?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

:cry:
Claret wrote:Trump is only concerned with getting re-elected and the Repub agenda, nothing more. While DC was burning he panders to the gun people by mention the Second Amendment and then pulls the Major Frank Burns bible stunt to appeal to his base. His ego is so big he cannot allow himself to fathom the possibility of failure. Win at any cost.
I would say “his agenda” in lieu “the Republican agenda”.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:Joe up by 11 points in new Monmouth poll:

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-instit ... US_060320/

Even I'm starting to get excited.
Can we have the election next Tuesday?
As they say in Chicago, let’s vote early and vote often!
jal

Post by jal »

After George Will, now James Mattis:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... on/612640/
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This is a big moment, Jacques, thanks for posting.

I think Herr Orange went one step too far in Lafayette Park.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Thanks for posting this, Jacques. Mattis’ remarks probably won’t make much (any?) difference, but reading this means a lot to me. Who knows, maybe people in the military are listening and are that much less likely to back a coup d’etat?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:This is a big moment, Jacques, thanks for posting.

I think Herr Orange went one step too far in Lafayette Park.
They say a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. It also ends with one.
If only Lafayette Park were his last.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We were all excited this time last night because General Mattis came forward.
Today, eh, the Republicans in Congress all say, what's the fuss....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think I spotted a new wrinkle on Murkowski's forehead.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Apropos of our recent comments:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/04/opin ... e=Homepage

I know Krugman is not everyone’s favorite here, but for me this sum up things nicely as they now stand: Trump is no Nixon, and the Republican Party lost the thread decades ago. I can only hope they (eventually) pay the price.
Last edited by Blanquito on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The economy rebounding nicely in June, still 5 months out.
We should be in full swing by November, no?
Claret

Post by Claret »

Is he coming to Bangor?
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

He came, and went.
They love him up here.
Trump signs everywhere, just like in '16.
I'm telling you, you guys, you have no idea what's coming.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Was there something about a cold or flu or some such thing a few weeks back?
Nobody seems to know anything about it up this way.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The story on Orange Head's trip up to Maine today:

https://www.sunjournal.com/2020/06/05/t ... -in-maine/
Claret

Post by Claret »

AKA He Who Shall Remain Maskless.
Glenn