Award will now be known as: The Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts William "Stefan" Johnson Wine of the Year.

Blanquito

Re: Award will now be known as: The Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts William "Stefan" Johnson Wine of the Year.

Post by Blanquito »

This all inspired me to open one of my 98 Maggies. Giving it a little air first…
Attachments
CBCD01E0-C6C4-4943-BF82-FDA665F2A9A5.jpeg
JimHow

Re: Award will now be known as: The Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts William "Stefan" Johnson Wine of the Year.

Post by JimHow »

Look at you!
I think I’ll uncork something tonight to begin holiday festivities.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Very curious to hear how this is. Have you had any of the 98 Figeac score yet?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ll write up my impressions of the Magdelaine.

I had one of 98 Figeac winnings so far, and it was corked!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I like Branaire since a long time, from many vintages, but tried the 2018 lately and... outch, that showed me how 2018 is wrong,contaminating even the normally nice Branaire...

In the past, i drank many 1994 that was... excellent by the way.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When I think of Branaire in the context of BWE, I recall that 1996 Branaire you and I shared with Setab in the lobby of the Napa Marriott at BWE '02, Nicola, do you remember that Saturday afternoon? I bought six bottles of the 2016 Branaire Ducru based solely on BWE enablement, I thought I was done buying 2016s, I'm pretty sure these were my last six purchases from that vintages. I uncorked one and was not impressed, but it may have been in an awkward state. I will certainly double blanquito the remaining five bottles, as I will most of my 2016s.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Good to know about the 2018.. I see the 2019 in stock in denver for $52, I think I’ll buy two, one to try at home and the other to mail to Lewiston to get on the ballot.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:34 am When I think of Branaire in the context of BWE, I recall that 1996 Branaire you and I shared with Setab in the lobby of the Napa Marriott at BWE '02, Nicola, do you remember that Saturday afternoon? I bought six bottles of the 2016 Branaire Ducru based solely on BWE enablement, I thought I was done buying 2016s, I'm pretty sure these were my last six purchases from that vintages. I uncorked one and was not impressed, but it may have been in an awkward state. I will certainly double blanquito the remaining five bottles, as I will most of my 2016s.
The 82 Branaire is also part of BWE lore, at the Anonymous Benefactor night in 2003. The 82 Branaire is the shizzle.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh yes, the 1982 Branaire is legendary. Not just from NYC '03 and the Anonymous Benefactor. A few years later I uncorked a 1982 Branaire. I've told this story before. It was the most putrid, disgusting, dead as a door knob of wines. I was absolutely convinced it was the most corked, dead wine I've ever tasted. I went out to the supermarket, and came back an hour later. The wine had blossomed, and turned into a magical wine of NYC '03 proportions.... Francois used to tell stories of such experiences.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JimHow wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:34 am When I think of Branaire in the context of BWE, I recall that 1996 Branaire you and I shared with Setab in the lobby of the Napa Marriott at BWE '02, Nicola, do you remember that Saturday afternoon?
Yes i remember well, a nice moment. I opened that same afternoon a 1993 Malescot St-Exupéry (paid 18$ at that giant wine warehouse with the nice blonde). We were tasting these 2 wines and there was 2 persons working at a booth, where they made taste some California wines. We discussed a bit with them, taste their wines, while pouring some of our Bordeaux for them... typical for Bordeaux Wine Nutcases like us :-)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Setab…. He was a lawyer too.
He was WilliamP-like.
A solid guy.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Jeezus Christo Jim
..I thought stefan had died when I sw that ...phew

Happy Thanksgiving BWE 🦃 🍷🍗
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Happy holidays Bobby G.
I am pleased to report that the great Stefan is alive and well.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
I am pleased to report that the great Stefan is alive and well.
>>

I am relieved to learn that. I've got a lot of wine to work through and heard that you cannot BYOW to That Great Tasting Room in the Sky.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've been giving it some thought lately, I've narrowed down my choices to about 3-4 wines.
Any last minute recommendations, put them in now, I'm thinking I'll make the announcement by the end of next week.