BWE London: Saturday night 2019 Blind Tasting....

JoelD

Re: BWE London: Saturday night 2019 Blind Tasting....

Post by JoelD »

No worries, Jim. It was just a fun thought and an extra wrinkle of the story to tell later. Of course, I'll defer to whatever the BD and our amazing host/organizer want to do for this great vertical.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

For my part, i guess the blind tasting of the 2019 would be enough.

Me too, i want to know which vintage of Lynch Bages i'm tasting as it is more a retrospective or "hommage" tasting. I guess, it is easy to taste them blind for those who want to do it that way, but i'm not.

And i have full confidence in BWEers telling which Lynch they prefer with integrity, even if the tasting is not blind.

Or silly me, i hereby declared that everyone that brings a bottle of Lynch Bages for the vertical tasting, have the choice to blind it or not. So my bottle of 1988 Château Lynch Bages, one of the unexpected great Lynch, that i want to taste, enjoy and appreciate with my great BWE friends, will be taste not blind!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We had an epic Lynch Bages vertical in NYC back in the day, I remember Eddie was there, there were like 18 vintages of Lynch, I almost want to say that the '88 edged out the '89 on that occasion.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I recall we had just taught a wine class at Harvard the day before and the '89 Lynch was smoking at that class. The bottle we uncorked the next day in NYC was more muted. This was in April 2004. There definitely was a change in style in Lynch Bages from 1982/83 to 1989/90, the likes of which we have not seen before or since, and it will be a thrill to drink the Cazes efforts from that Camelot era.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Participated in an 80’s Lynch Bages blind tasting with the 82, 83, 85, 86, 88 and 89 about 10 or so years ago in Maryland at a friends uncles and the 82, 85 and 88 were my favorites on the day and in that order as they were all so wonderfully expressive. The 89 by comparison was monolithic and not yielding all that much but would have probably benefited from an extended decant.

It will be interesting to see how your guys favorites rank next week and if unanimous.