Blanquito, Winona, Musigny-151, et al: Champagne tips?

JimHow

Re: Blanquito, Winona, Musigny-151, et al: Champagne tips?

Post by JimHow »

I just popped down to Porstmouth NH for their Champagne sale, I was looking to buy more Roederer Brut Premier but I only got the last two they had in stock. They had lots of 2008 Dom still in stock, though, and I got six more bottles (I now have ten!), plus some others...

2008 Dom Perignon x 6 @$127.49
Roederer Brut Premier x 2 @ $45.04
2012 Veuve Cliquot Gold Label @ $57.79
Charles Heidsieck Brut RS @ $50.99
2007 Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs @ $114.74
2007 Taittinger Comtes @ $118.99
2016 Capbern x 2 @ $27.49

Omg!!!!!!
It looks like the Krug 168 was mislabeled and she charged me only $29.49 for a Barolo instead. I'm sitting here trying to figure out this receipt....

Just went down and checked the bottle that was brought up to the counter from out back. There's no sticker on it, she must have typed in the wrong code!

Krug 168th @ $29.49!!!
Attachments
IMG_4234.jpg
IMG_4234.jpg (116.01 KiB) Viewed 736 times
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Now THAT is a deal!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm like, wait, I didn't order a Barolo!
Then I realized my Krug wasn't listed.
Yeah, it looks like she mistyped the code by one number.
I should probably call them.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I uncorked the Charles Heidsieck for the 4th, I liked it, though a different style from the Roederer, thanks for the tip Stefan, seems like a pretty good quality for the $50 I paid for it.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Glad you liked the CH, Jim. Indeed, it is very different from Roederer, but IMO the quality of the two wines are similar, and for me at a higher level than e.g. Moet, Mumm, or Veuve Cliquot.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Last night we drank Nicholas Feuillatte NV Brut.
It is a new label I had not seen before, a brighter mid blue color.
Very impressed with this quite inexpensive Champagne.
Lots of citrus, brioche and dry honey. Finished quite dry with a pithy lemon character.
I have not previously liked this producer much but it is drier and more citrusy than I recalled. Cost about $45 or about USD35.
Good value at that price for a pleasant aperitif style.
marcs

Post by marcs »

If I enjoy a bigger/richer/creamier/sweeter style of champagne as opposed to drier/more acidic/sharper (while still being balanced with some acidity!), which champagne houses should I look to?

Really enjoyed a 1999 Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque that was in that style...
stefan

Post by stefan »

Then you might enjoy Moet and Mumm more than I do, Marcus. Probably you will prefer Charles Heidsieck to Roederer. Also, hold an NV for at least a year, preferably two or three, before drinking.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Thanks Stefan. The Moet Brut Imperials are available for a semi-reasonable price locally, would that then be one of your recommendations?

I don't find Dom Perignon to necessarily be in that broader/richer style so had not tried the Moet NVs before but perhaps I should...
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

marcs wrote:Thanks Stefan. The Moet Brut Imperials are available for a semi-reasonable price locally, would that then be one of your recommendations?

I don't find Dom Perignon to necessarily be in that broader/richer style so had not tried the Moet NVs before but perhaps I should...
Dom Pérignon is from a completely different mold than other Moët. It’s austere when young, smoky, citrusy and minerally and very dry.

I haven’t tried Moët NV in a number of years but then it was sickly sweet and rich, almost like dessert. It said “brut” but it was more like a demi-sec. Maybe the style has changed more recently.

Stu
Last edited by s*d*r on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, try the Moet Brut Imperial, Marcus. Mumm is a bit creamier, but I think Moet is usually a bit better. If you find a bottle that has been sitting in an air conditioned shop a year or so, grab it rather than the newest arrival if you plan on drinking it soon. In my experience, NV Champagne that was at 70F for a year after release has gained more than it has lost. (Others here might disagree, though.) Of course, aging the Champagne in a cellar is better, but you are unlikely to find a NV at retail that has been kept in a cooler for a year.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Stu/Stefan
I like to hold NV champagne as I like the more mature flavors that it brings. Rarely will I drink it soon after delivery.
To my palate Moet Brut Imperial is a good wine and the company seems to be able to make millions of cases without compromising quality. I don’t put it in the same category as Bollinger, Gosset, Billecart or Louis Roederer though.
Recent attempts with Mumm however have not been so great. The wine is less complex than I’d like and even my Chinese friends say it is rather bland. I’d say it is most akin to Veuve Cliquot which I have never liked much.
marcs

Post by marcs »

So I just bought one bottle of NV Moet Brut Imperial, one bottle of NV Bollinger Special Cuvee, and a half-bottle of NV Roederer Brut Premier, to try out the different house styles.

Unfortunately could not figure out disgorgement dates, they didn't seem to list them clearly?

Looking forward to checking these out, if I love one of them then NV champagne prices are reasonable compared to what I spend on bottles of wine
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Have fun Marcus. We did a non-blind tasting with friends and Bollinger, Pol Roger, Veuve Clicquot, Roederer, Taittinger, Heidsieck, and Moet 33 years ago to choose a Champagne for our wedding. Bolly, Veuve, and Pol Roger all got a few first place votes. We had a blast - overindulged a bit on a Sunday afternoon. We went with Pol Roger, which is why that house remains a sentimental favorite.
stefan

Post by stefan »

NV PR was really good back then, David. I think it declined after Christian pulled back. It seems to have gotten better in the last couple of years, though.

Marcus, let us know your preference after you try the ones you bought. If you want to know disgorgement dates, buy Krug.
marcs

Post by marcs »

LOL Krug NV is like 4 times the price of the ones I bought, which were all $40-50 / bottle. That is why I'm excited, if I really love one of them I could potentially have it on a semi-regular basis.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Stefan, 33 years ago Veuve was also better than it is now.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I agree, David.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote:Stefan, 33 years ago Veuve was also better than it is now.
Big time.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

marcs wrote:LOL Krug NV is like 4 times the price of the ones I bought, which were all $40-50 / bottle. That is why I'm excited, if I really love one of them I could potentially have it on a semi-regular basis.
I love Stu’s work around for this — if the price is a concern, just enjoy your favorite champagne by the glass.