BWE Zoom tasting, Friday, March 12th, 7pm eastern US time.

JoelD

Re: BWE Zoom tasting, Friday, March 12th, 7pm eastern US time.

Post by JoelD »

Nicklasss wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:05 pm I will say hello with a glass of 2016 Chateau Larose-Trintaudon. Me too I want to wait to be with other winelovers before opening a top Bordeaux.

Or maybe i should open a top Bordeaux tonight, as covid can still kill me as i'm not vaccinated...

Nic
Nic, per the benevolent dictator's instructions, you are to open one good Bordeaux this month. And we already almost halfway through, I say you do it :)
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Both of my wines - 86 Ducru and 95 PLL - corked. I have been up since 730am local time so I sadly going to bow out and go to bed. Have fun!
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

gene m. wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:03 pm I plan to join. Since drinking solo, I decided I would just check in on the 2003 Ch Gruaud Larose St Julien.
Finally, I will open Malescot St-Exupery 2003
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have uncorked my last bottle of 2003 Sociando....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ooh, baby doll, just took a sip, this is one of the good ones.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:05 pm Both of my wines - 86 Ducru and 95 PLL - corked. I have been up since 730am local time so I sadly going to bow out and go to bed. Have fun!
Terrible luck Ian, sorry to hear that. You were missed. Lets try to get an earlier VCC zoom sometime in the next month or so
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great fun with the group, I really appreciate it, you are the ones that make BWE great and unique.

Let's do it again soon.
stefan

Post by stefan »

It was great visiting with everyone. Sorry about your corked wines, Ian. We missed you.

Lucie and I choked down some 85 and 86 La Lagune. We recommend that no one try to buy either of these clunkers at auctions.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My 2003 Sociando ended up being corked, but fortunately I was able to still participate with a 2015 Corbin that I think is absolutely stunning. Great to share a couple precious hours with BWEers.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Sorry I missed it.
We were too busy enjoying the 1961 Latour and a 2010 d'Armailhac, and a 2010 Gruaud Larose, and a 2014 Meyney.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow!
We missed you and your Dad, Chris, was looking forward to raising a birthday toast.
But it sounds like a special night nonetheless.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Always good to see everyone, and with better Bordeaux than me. The 2016 Chateau Larose-Trintaudon was ok only. Mid weight, maybe a little bit closed, red and black fruits with touch of spices.

As you can feel, I'm not a lover of Zoom or Facetime or any virtual stuff, especially in my second language. But hey i appreciate to see you and hear your stories. And 7 pm with 3 kids...

I smile on screens, but I'm totally bored of the situation. And looking forward to:

1. Having our next dinner with JeanFred, or like i said, a BWE Zoom together with great Bordeaux.
2. A whoopie pie in Maine (with my pants up), with that guy called the BWE BD.
3. A cup of tea in London UK, and who knows, maybe a bottle of wine.
4. A visit to Washington DC, as i have BWE family there, it is like my second home.
5. Roadtrip from San Fransisco to Seattle, with lot of pit stops in between (or reverse, roadtrip from pit stop to another, with lots of San Francisco and Seattle in between).
6. Other crazy stuff, like bbq with The Instigators, pool party in Denver, Florida seçret mission, fun in Ampuis with a guy from Bordeaux or looking someone play golf in Ottawa, while I'm enjoying a 2009 Pontet Canet in the golf cart.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

All, sorry I missed this event. Next time! We both received our first Pfizer vaccines this week so heading for normality-whatever that is these days. The work on our future home should be finished by next week, finally!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:39 am Wow!
We missed you and your Dad, Chris, was looking forward to raising a birthday toast.
But it sounds like a special night nonetheless.
Our first family gathering in over a year was very special. My dad keeps going like the Eveready bunny but I know that's just an illusion and he'll be gone one day not too far into the future.
I'm so glad I got to share my most special bottle with them. It did not disappoint.
The young wines were fully enjoyed as well. We also somehow opened two bottles of champagne that Mary is finishing today - NV de Margerie Cuvee Speciale and NV Pol Roger Brut Reserve
We could have gone on all night but Chaz and Sheila had to get back to the farm in Maine more than 3 hours away. So at 10:30 I set off a couple fireworks in the driveway to see them off.

E1FF0465-20EE-476B-9B5C-FD5E9209D08F.jpeg
7EE026DB-3BF1-4420-86BF-3B5FDFF496E9.jpeg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You are a good son, RC, I remember sharing great wines with my father when he was 90.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy birthday to your father Racer.

And... wait a minute... a 1961 CHATEAU LATOUR! OMG.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Chris we cannot let you off the hook without a blow-by-blow tasting note of this legendary Latour...

Apologies again for my no show, I was so looking forward to it. But after the Pichon showed to be corked my mood shifted from ‘bright-eyed and bushy-tailed’ to ‘dark and introspective’ and I had a frantic week of early starts so I did not want to be a dragging anchor on the zoom. In reference to Oscar Wilde to have one corked bottle is unfortunate, to have two smacks of carelessness...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Good to see all a bunch of you again.
Chris, what a wonderful get-together.
Ian, sorry about your corked bottles and mood. Next time...
marcs

Post by marcs »

Your dad looks great Chris!

In addition to the Latour, how was the 2010 Gruaud Larose? I am sitting on a case of that

Fantastic evening last night, two and a half hours...unfortunately it left me trashed for today going into another wine dinner with Joel. Joel was right to have the half bottle last night!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

marcs wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:30 pm Your dad looks great Chris!
He still flies and maintains his own small airplane. In my youth I didn't want to know him. In my old age I hope to emulate him.
In addition to the Latour, how was the 2010 Gruaud Larose? I am sitting on a case of that
The Latour killed it.
I think there's a general consensus that the '10s will take a long time to be ready but IMO the Gruaud is open for business. First impression is that I liked it better than the '09 I opened a few months ago.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

As always great to reconnect with everyone. This last year has been a write off and like Nic said we're long over due to be done with this and start seeing people face to face. We miss our friends everywhere but these zoom sessions nevertheless fill the void until the borders open back up again and the coast clears. A little slow today after having 1/2 bottle Pouilly-Fusse at buddies sugarbush late afternoon, then a Montagny with scallop app before heading into a slow out of the gate then delicious 99 Conseillante with rack of lamb during the zoom. Heads a little foggy today. Thankfully its only Saturday.

Thanks to everyone in attendance to allow us to catch up. Missed some who didn't attend and too bad Ian had some corked wines to put him to bed earlier than anticipated. A few good wines shared virtually and not sure how Jim's 03 SM started out oh my god this is a good one to oops its corked changing to 05 Corbin?? but we had a fun time seeing everyone again. Until next time.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha ha yeah, I think I was a bit over exuberant after that first sip, it was pretty dead. The 15 and 16 Corbins are beauties. Great to see you and Danielle and everyone last night, thanks Michael P for lighting the fire to get it done.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Great seeing everyone last night! Looking forward to when we can reconnect in person old school.

Also a few new faces & names (for me) to connect last night, so that was nice too.
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

As the other member said. Its was great having good wines and times with the community!

And My Malescot was excellent that night.

JeanFred
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great to see the Canadian contingent as always.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Sorry to have missed this. We had another social commitment (via Zoom).