Dad's 93rd Birthday Dinner, in Maine

Racer Chris

Dad's 93rd Birthday Dinner, in Maine

Post by Racer Chris »

7 of us gathered at my brother Charley's house in Poland to celebrate my dad's 93rd.
The drive up from CT for Mary and me was quite eventful, and may have left Mary mildly traumatized. Some of you may have seen the weather forecasts for New England, with a bomb cyclone event moving up the coast during the day. We left home in Mary's Prius before 10am for a 4hr max drive in what started out as light rain. I was predicting that we would arrive in Poland just as the rain changed to snow but the two of us were at odds as to which car to take. I wanted the great gas mileage and Mary wanted us to use the Subaru with all wheel drive.
Once we were on Interstate 84, there was a fair amount of wind blown mist but I've driven in much worse. However, we only got 5 miles or so when the red triangle of death came on. It happened as we approached Exit 68, so I immediately got off the highway and we drove home on surface roads without further drama. Everything we had packed was quickly transferred to the Outback and we resumed our trip an hour behind schedule.
We were still on course to arrive near 2pm according to WAZE. Traffic was moderate and not hard to maintain a safe space for good visibility. As we continued inland the rain was changing over to snow, with some slush accumulating on non traveled surfaces. We got almost to our I-95 exit at Gray, ME and decided to make a quick pit stop at the last service plaza. The parking lot driveway was already slick for walking as we went inside. Coming back out to our car, we noticed some commotion and looked toward the highway. An SUV was parked facing the wrong way and at least two other cars were stopped nearby. Driving carefully toward the highway entrance it became apparent the white SUV had spun out and made hard contact in several places. That was one of the most fortunate pit stops I've ever taken. We were able to continue in a long single file line at reduced speed the last few miles on I-95. The drive from Gray to Poland was taken with great care and we arrived by 2:30.
I had Charley pour everyone a glass of the Dame de Montrose right away to go with Allison's cheese platter appetizer. (One of Allison's cheeses recently won a gold medal at a national competition in Wisconsin) I re-decanted both the '14 Conseillante and the '15 Talbot to drink with dinner alongside the headlining 1982 Chateau Talbot.
My notes were written this morning almost 2 days afterward.
  • 1982 Château Talbot - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (3/12/2022)
    Oh my. This was a great bottle. I place this among the small number of very special wines I've been privileged to experience in the past few years.
    Double decanted in the morning before a long drive to our destination. Served from bottle with dinner of grilled swordfish, roasted potatoes, and baby greens.
    Dinner was fine, but entirely forgettable in the light of this wine. My eyes rolled back in my head after the first swallow. Each sip after that kept me in heaven thru the entire dinner. I was fully intoxicated even before the alcohol reached my veins.
    A day and a half later, writing this note, my knees still get week just thinking about it. (98 pts.)
  • 2014 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (3/12/2022)
    Double decanted ahead of a 5 hour travel to our destination, then splash decanted shortly before consuming with dinner.
    Full bodied, youthful, well balanced and showing great poise.
    This has a great future ahead. (94 pts.)
  • 2015 Château Talbot - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (3/12/2022)
    Double decanted ahead of a 5 hour drive to our dinner destination, then poured into a decanter for table service.
    It was open for business quickly, showing great Talbot typicity.
    Very enjoyable now and I think when the polish wears off a wonderful patina will develop. (93 pts.)
  • 2010 La Dame de Montrose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (3/12/2022)
    Double decanted ahead of traveling 5 hours to our dinner destination.
    Served from bottle, Opened up quickly in the glass.
    Very enjoyable now. Plenty of life ahead.
Last edited by Racer Chris on Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: Dad's 93rd Birthday Dinner, in Maine

Post by JimHow »

Those are some great wines, Chris, and it sounds like a great event in the great state of Maine. Yeah, the ‘82 Talbot is something special. It’s one of those fine northern Medocs, like Gruaud, Mouton, Pichon Lalande, and others, where we have debated which is better, the greatness of the 1982 or the 1986 vintage. It’s been cold as a bastard in the northeast this winter.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Sounds like you were fortunate to get there safely Chris. Weather has been off and on up north this winter with some hairy trips on the road for us as well. Glad to hear you made it safely to enjoy a few fine wines on a special day.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Glad that your ordeal had a happy ending, Chris.

How did your 93 year old father enjoy the great wines ya'll drank?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Some family photos. Dad looks great and is doing just fine.

With 3 Daughter in laws
With 3 Daughter in laws
With 3 sons
With 3 sons
My brothers are 5 and 11 years younger than I am. Neal, the youngest is on the left.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

stefan wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:41 pm Glad that your ordeal had a happy ending, Chris.

How did your 93 year old father enjoy the great wines ya'll drank?
Bill,
He only drank two of the wines I think. The DdM and the 1982 Talbot. He preferred the baby Montrose, which imo says a lot for that wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great pics.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Wonderful story and notes filled with wonderful emotion.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m wearing that green LL Bean shirt your Dad is wearing…
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Sounds like a lovely way to celebrate a birthday, RC. I'm envious of your father - I hope I can still enjoy Bordeaux wines when/if I reach 93!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great story Chris. Glad you made it in one piece. You're very lucky to still have your dad to celebrate with.

That 82 Talbot is a legend. It was my first-ever full-case purchase of any single wine back in 85. Glad to hear it's still kicking ass, just like your dad.
AKR

Post by AKR »

What a weekend adventure! Glad you made it safely and were able to share some great wines with family.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Some further information on the red triangle which lit up on the Prius dash:
A 1yr warranty replacement hybrid battery had just been installed on Tuesday, and maybe a couple hundred miles driven after that. I would normally opt for a longer warranty but Mary is hoping to replace this car before the year is out. The bad battery that was removed had a 2 year warranty and had been installed by me about 32 months ago.
When I put my OBD2 scanner on this morning the only fault code pointed to an internal problem with the battery.
Maybe they can repair the old battery and bring it back in a few days.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

What car trip under bad weather conditions. You made it to your brother's place safely, this what is important.

1982 and 1986 Chateau Talbot are legendary wines, as are the same vintages of Gruaud Larose. But of course, always more impressive when it is a Fourth Growth that reach that level.

I lurked at some 2015 Talbot last year, but did not bought any, and i feel bad now reading your report on it.

And your father is very lucky to be able to still enjoy his birthday party with his kids.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Glad you made it up there safely Chris, sounds like a hairy drive. I remember getting caught up in an ice storm on the I-95 when I lived in CT. It was scary.

Your dad looks in fine fettle for 93.

One of my biggest regrets has been not buying more Talbot from the 1980s, beyond the odd bottle, here and there, of the 1986.

The 1989 we drank late last year was superb and the 1985 that Patrick brought over and shared the day before he flew back to Denver was sensational.

Last Saturday a friend of mine opened a pristine bottle of 1982 Gruaud - among other treasures - for his 50th birthday celebration, which was just an epic bottle.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:25 am (no) more Talbot from the 1980s, beyond the odd bottle, here and there, of the 1986.
While I generally live a life without regrets, this might qualify. ^^^
jckba

Post by jckba »

A nice cross section of Bdx wines there to celebrate your dads birthday and there’s just something to those old Cordier bottlings.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I also brought two other bottles but the party ended shortly after dinner. A bottle of the 2004 Belair was opened and left behind with only a glass poured. I'm sure Charley enjoyed the rest of that. And a 2012 GPL was opened in our hotel room.
I finished the GPL at home Sunday evening. It's an excellent wine but a touch more acidity would take it to the next level imo.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Chris
It’s great that he can still enjoy some excellent wines at 93!
Cheers
Mark
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Chris,
Seems like you had some great wines, love seeing the nice family photo's.
Happy birthday to your dad! Amazing to hear about your father enjoying wine the age of 93 year.

Best, Dan
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Congrats on your Dad's 93rd B-day! The 1982 Talbot is an exceptional wine. Try the 1986 Talbot if you get the chance - very similar and one of my "aha" wines back in the day.

My Mom turns 93 on March 24th - any of us with parents that old and still in good shape (which my Mom is) should count ourselves very lucky indeed.

SF Ed
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

SF Ed wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:05 pm Try the 1986 Talbot if you get the chance -
Karl is out of 86 Talbot. That's why he sold me the '82, and I'm really glad he did!