2001 Domaine de Chevalier (rouge)

AlexR

2001 Domaine de Chevalier (rouge)

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I recently saw that there was something of a polemic about the wines of Domaine de Chevalier on BWE…
I’m in somewhat of the same situation as Izak in that Olivier Bernard has shown me great kindness over the years and served me some fabulous wines at his table, which makes a person naturally prone not to diss his wines…

That having been said, and with as much objectivity as I can muster, I’ve always liked Domaine de Chevalier, and honestly don’t see it as slick, modernized, and standardized.
Last night, I enjoyed a candlelight dinner with my wife at home to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This involved smoked salmon with Bollinger and bavette, or skirt steak, with shallots and dauphine potatoes. I decanted a 2001 Domaine de Chevalier. This looked much younger than its years, with virtually no bricking. The nose was suave and subtle, with hints of rose, violet, and plum. The wine was elegant and classic on the palate, reminding me of the fine Bordeaux of yesteryear. This was not a full-bodied wine, but with good acidity and follow through. It shows why I have long been a fan of the 2001 vintage. I expected this vintage of Chevalier to be further along. In fact, because of the sturdiness of the tannin on the finish, I think it is in the early part of its drinking window, and not quite at its peak.
An excellent showing in the non-blockbuster style.

Alex R.
stefan

Re: 2001 Domaine de Chevalier (rouge)

Post by stefan »

My experience with post 2000 DdC is slight. I am relieved to read this, as DdC has long been one of our favorite Graves,
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Hi Alex
This was the last vintage before the consultant Stephane Derenoncourt was brought in, which it has been argued was an inflection point towards a slicker more modern style of winemaking. Based on my - admittedly limited - anecdotes I think that is accurate - and regrettable - even if by all accounts OB and SD are nice people. The 2001 sounds like a super wine and for you to say it has only just entered its drinking window it must be one built for the long haul.
Hope to see you again soon Alex
Ian
ericp

Post by ericp »

Alex, I am quite surprised how well this wine performed from 01. I guess I'm a bit of a vintage snob! Is your cellar particularly cold?

Eric
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Belated Happy Anniversary Alex/Christine. The DdC was a perennial favourite through the 90s but the few experiences through the 2000s reflect possibly the change in consultant. I'm not averse to the modern style and still love the wine when I get my lips on it. Sadly none in the cellar anymore.
Danny
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I suppose I am responsible for the original polemic, comparing the fine 2000 to the totally anonymous 2005. And good as the 2000 was, it paled beside the great wines of the eighties, seventies and earlier.

For me, DDC has a terroir equal to Carmes Haut Brion and Pape Clement, and is capable of making wines of that ilk, and charging similar amounts of money. Dererencourt has his fans, but the wine is a Porsche running on low grade fuel.

I also love the Bernards.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Happy Anniversary Alex!

If you can be objective during a candlelight anniversary dinner with your wife you are a better man than I.