The reality about 2016

Nicklasss

The reality about 2016

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2016 vintage has produced excellent and superb red wines in the Bordeaux area. No doubts. But the more i open and taste 2016 red wines made in Tuscany, the more i think that this area is probably were 2016 produced something magic.

All red wines of Tuscany, from the 2016 vintage, have been truely nice, in a very balanced and classic style, and with a "luminous" side.

It is the same tonight with that second bottle opened of the 2016 Carpineto Chianti Classico Riserva, in the last weeks. I start by saying that this is a... a... a... 29$ bottle of wine. A glorious 29$, a phenomenal 29$, a pleasurable 29$, name it more qualities at 29$.

Dark red color, with a nose, a very nice nose with concentrated dark cherries, light spices, blackcurrants, violet flowers, redberries gelly, red licorice, and light sweet vanilla oak. Lot of elegance in that nose, with good fruit. In mouth, a perfect medium intensity long wine, on blackberry and blackcherry fruit flavors, with oak ashes, licorice, herbs. Flavorful in mouth. A very black fruit charecter of plums too. Lot of tannins, slightly austere, but long, with freshness, and that long black fruit and perfumed rosemary and dark coal finish. Tasty. Tn: 92.

I would say that this wine has surely use a bit of modern techology, but really to improve the wine, not to denature it. The Sangiovese on a very nice expression.
Attachments
What to not like in a sooooo nice Chianti!
What to not like in a sooooo nice Chianti!
JCNorthway

Re: The reality about 2016

Post by JCNorthway »

Nic, count me as a major fan of 2016 Tuscan wines. I have enjoyed several Chianti Classicos, And I have stored away a few cases of my favorite producers' riservas, based on their regular wines. I've also really enjoyed the 2016 Rosso di Montalcinos for current drinking. And based on tasting those, I've stashed a couple of cases of Brunello's, which I think will be great when their time comes. And looking beyond Tuscany, I think that the 2016 vintage of Barbaresco and Barolo with be classic when their time comes. I'm just not sure it will be in "my time."
AKR

Post by AKR »

I bought a number of Tuscan 2016's, mostly based on my delight with how the 2010's have been evolving. Sangiovese is a bit more drinkable in our heat out here, than Bordeaux or Rhone which are more our Fall/Winter fare.
jckba

Post by jckba »

2016 was a strong vintage across Europe much like 2010 was IMHO and I too bought more Sangiovese (CCR and BdM), more Nebbiolo (Barbaresco and Barolo) than I normally do and will certainly continue on with Tempranillo once the 2016 Rioja Gran Reserva’s start making an appearance in a couple of years.

I am also still actively backfilling 2016 Bdx when I find them at close to release pricing but am starting to feel that those days are coming to a close.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Agree that 2016 was a top Italian vintage based on the Chianti Classico and Brunellos I’ve tried. Yet as I read this thread I am drinking 2016 Ashbrook Margaret River Cabernet and we’ve been discussing what a great vintage it was there. And the Riojas I’ve drunk from 2016 have also been excellent.

So I can only conclude that 2016 was one of those rare vintages that excelled in most regions.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I used to buy too much of some regions when they had a good year. I think in 2016, I might have bought (tops) a couple cases of mixed Tuscan/Piedmont.
jckba

Post by jckba »

AKR wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:14 pm I used to buy too much of some regions when they had a good year. I think in 2016, I might have bought (tops) a couple cases of mixed Tuscan/Piedmont.
That’s an interesting observation but when we are talking about red wines from old world wine regions that have the ability to age for decades, overbuying is not really a concern of mine as when stored properly, it then gives me the optionality to either drink or to sell/trade down the line. My concerns are more with global warming and rising ABV’s as I certainly do not want to get stuck with a cellar full of wines that did not age well.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think most here have plenty of wine, and just getting to drinking existing stocks, in a timely fashion means that some temperance is needed on the incoming side. I still enjoy some short horizon/non ageworthy wines: Condrieu and other viognier types of blanc, Beaujolais, bubbly etc. and every glass of those means something of gravitas/maturity is ending up farther and farther on the far edge of its drinking horizon.

Perhaps some of this is also a specific situation to us: Mrs AKR drinks much less, if at all as does some of my family.

Among normal civilized peoples, even owning 50 bottles of wine would be considered excessive.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Fair enough so Arv, when are you going to be in NYC next?
marcs

Post by marcs »

AKR wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:13 pm I think most here have plenty of wine, and just getting to drinking existing stocks, in a timely fashion means that some temperance is needed on the incoming side. I still enjoy some short horizon/non ageworthy wines: Condrieu and other viognier types of blanc, Beaujolais, bubbly etc. and every glass of those means something of gravitas/maturity is ending up farther and farther on the far edge of its drinking horizon.

Perhaps some of this is also a specific situation to us: Mrs AKR drinks much less, if at all as does some of my family.

Among normal civilized peoples, even owning 50 bottles of wine would be considered excessive.
Damn straight. I think we all have that experience of seeing a civilians jaw drop in astonishment when we even hint at how much wine we have
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Damn straight. I think we all have that experience of seeing a civilians jaw drop in astonishment when we even hint at how much wine we have
When asked I "estimate" a number that is about 40-50% below actual holdings. :D
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JCNorthway wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:42 pm
When asked I "estimate" a number that is about 40-50% below actual holdings. :D
My stock answer is “too much.” I learned it from Peggy, who would offer it up as an answer when she would see me pause while struggling to come up with some non insane sounding response.
AKR

Post by AKR »

No one in my family has actually seen my off site. Although to be fair, the contents are slightly shrinking in size.
marcs

Post by marcs »

These answers are hilarious. Reading them is giving me a really positive “addicts enabling addicts” feeling of affirmation. Love you BWE!
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Nic, I agree 2016 was/is great in Tuscany!
I will need to stock up on some of them.

No other forum on the net, has such hilarious off topic treads as BWE, Love it!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Something is sure, i need more 2016 red wines from Tuscan, at all price ranges.

These will drink great in the next 15 years, while waiting the 2016 red Bordeaux to be ready.
jal

Post by jal »

AKR wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:13 pm I think most here have plenty of wine, and just getting to drinking existing stocks, in a timely fashion means that some temperance is needed on the incoming side. I still enjoy some short horizon/non ageworthy wines: Condrieu and other viognier types of blanc, Beaujolais, bubbly etc. and every glass of those means something of gravitas/maturity is ending up farther and farther on the far edge of its drinking horizon.

Ain’t that the truth. And I’ve been on a successful buying freeze since the year started. I estimate that at this point, we have about 300 bottles or so and I’m hoping to drop the amount by around 50 bottles each year until all that is left will be special bottles and ones that need aging. I figure 100 of these should be enough.
From now on, we’ll drinking much less, buying only for immediate consumption, and consuming existing good stuff with friends or on special occasions.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

I don't have a wine quantity problem. I have an insufficient storage space problem.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I get that warning from Google every week too.
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

AKR wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:47 am I bought a number of Tuscan 2016's, mostly based on my delight with how the 2010's have been evolving. Sangiovese is a bit more drinkable in our heat out here, than Bordeaux or Rhone which are more our Fall/Winter fare.
I went overboard on Tuscan 2016 wines based on how much I loved the 2010s, too. Don’t know when I’ll drink it all!
Brian Pinci