Bday wine 2003 Domaine St. Martin Chambertin-Clos de Bèze

William P

Bday wine 2003 Domaine St. Martin Chambertin-Clos de Bèze

Post by William P »

Celebrated my 71 birthday by going to dinner with Linda and taking a 2003 Domaine St. Martin Chambertin-Clos de Bèze. Patrick Lesec is a Burgundy negociant so I have no idea who made this wine. Of course 2003 was problematic so I had no idea what was in the bottle. The Som destroyed the cork, it had to be strained and decanted. When he handed me a glass, I was a tad concerned. The color was ruby, no sign of any browning at the edge. The nose was exquisite, perfumy without heaviness. Flowers, cherries, earth, very expressive and clean.

First sip was equally splendid, a perfectly balanced wine that was fresh and lively. No sign of age. For my palate it was in a perfect place. It started the night singing and never waiver. On the palate, the wine was medium bodied, no sign of heat or bloat from 2003. It had a concentrated taste of fruit with out being full/ heavy bodied. Acidity balanced the rich cherry flavor with hints of baking spices, earth. Fresh, expressive, balanced with a long pleasing finish. I only had one bottle, wish I had more.

Bill
JCNorthway

Re: Bday wine 2003 Domaine St. Martin Chambertin-Clos de Bèze

Post by JCNorthway »

Sounds like it turned out to be a beautiful wine in spite of some reservations. Positive surprises are always nice. Great way to celebrate a birthday.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice note and happy birthday Billy. As Mister Jacques Levy often says, there are no bad vintages in Burgundy.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Happy Birthday, Bill. Sounds like you caught the Chambertin at the perfect time.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy birthday Bill. I'm happy to read that you're still young and we can catch up many more times in the coming years.

Always fun and satisfying when an unknown or unexpected bottle delivets the goods.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Happy birthday, Bill. Sounds like a tasty bottle.

I'm always wary of letting Somm's and Waiters open my wine so I'm glad it worked out.

I wonder if this is some sort of negotiant bottling? Doesn't seem like it shows up on the markets often.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Lesec has been blending up stuff in the Rhone too, with generally good results.

Happy Birthday!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Happy Bday Bill!
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Happy birthday. St Martin is also domaine Bart. They have nice plots in Chambertin Clos de Beze and Bonnes Mares, Chambolle Veroilles vill, Fixin 1er cru Hervelets and many Marsannay. Excellent producer, still affordable, I buy every year... until it becomes too pricey...
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Antoine wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:07 pm Happy birthday. St Martin is also domaine Bart. They have nice plots in Chambertin Clos de Beze and Bonnes Mares, Chambolle Veroilles vill, Fixin 1er cru Hervelets and many Marsannay. Excellent producer, still affordable, I buy every year... until it becomes too pricey...
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Is St Martin the negotiant bottling? Same exact wines?
William P

Post by William P »

JoelD wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:05 pm Is St Martin the negotiant bottling? Same exact wines?
It appears that Domaine St. Martin is the winery and Patrick Lesec is the negotiant. So I was wrong the wine did come from DSM. Lesec buys the wine from from DSM. Sorry for the misinformation.

Bill
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Belated happy birthday Bill

Inspired choice, what a beauty!