2001 Chateau de Pez St Estephe.

Claudius2

2001 Chateau de Pez St Estephe.

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks
This was one of the throwaway wines that Wendy brought home from the CEO’s old office. The wine had been left standing upright for a long time in an office that is only air conditioned Monday to Friday. Expectations were low and the cork collapsed even trying to ease it out with an Ah-So.

After picking out the cork lumps, I was surprised. The nose is classic Bordeaux. Cassis, cedar, iodine, smoky, gamey meat and anise. I would have guessed Sociando Mallet blind.

Palate was less interesting as the cassis fruit was showing its age but if the wine was well stored I’d expect a very nice wine. Drunk with steak, it was still pretty good despite the rather brutal storage. The tannins had largely fallen out and the acid was still firm. I decanted it just after opening and it was best drunk immediately. Still, I quite enjoyed it and this is despite the fact that the other wines salvaged from the same office were a mess.

Cheers
Mark

PS - I thought this was Ormes de Pez earlier though it really is Ch de Pez.
DavidG

Re: 2001 Chateau de Pez St Estephe.

Post by DavidG »

A pleasant surprise, and a reminder that red Bordeaux may be tougher than we assume. Not that I’d recommend that storage method.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nice! I had a pretty good 2012 de Pez sometime a while ago. Low expectations, yet lots of rich fruit on it.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Makes you and Mark de Pez dispensers.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I had the 2016 no too long ago and it impressed me to order a few 2020's. So far, my only 2020 futures purchase.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

DavidG wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:32 pm A pleasant surprise, and a reminder that red Bordeaux may be tougher than we assume. Not that I’d recommend that storage method.
Yes this wine must be indestructible.
I have little experience with the label previously, but was quite surprised it wasn't dead.
The oldest wine salvaged was a 1995 Prieure Lichine which I'll open soon along with the 2007 Cantemerle.

cheers
Mark