2013 Geyserville and 2010 Gloria

Nicklasss

2013 Geyserville and 2010 Gloria

Post by Nicklasss »

Two very nice wines.

The Joel Gott sauvignon is nice. In a New Zealand style. Grassy, lemony, fresh and good.

The 2013 Ridge Geyserville is at a perfect spot. Lost a bit of the initial power, mellowed with zinberries, spices, blueberries, licorice and light cocoa powder. Balanced is nice, still some meaty tannins flavors, long fruity character, with lot of elegance for a Zin. Very top. Tn: 93.

More later, have to board in a flight.
Attachments
Two excellent red wines
Two excellent red wines
thumbnail_IMG_5095.jpg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 308 times
Nicklasss

Re: 2013 Geyserville and 2010 Gloria

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2010 Château Gloria is still needing a few years, but quite satisfying now too. Dark color, nose of violet flowers and fruits, comex vanilla and noble wood oak, dry tobacco, blackcurrants. Mouth is dense but not too much at the same time. Tasty Saint Julien, very 2010 with that light very ripe fruit, blackberry and blackcurrant flavors, creamy exotic sweet oak, with ripe redberries and minerals. Long, very seducing, but with also a light austerity in the tannins. A glorious Gloria! Tn: 92.
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Sounds delicious.

What would be a good year to buy some Ridge Zins? 14’s, 16’s & 19’s look to be available here in oz.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

They’re all great Ambrose, the Ridge zins are great year after year. Geyserville 2016 is great.
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Thanks Jim, will pick some up for sure.

Been listening to a lot of the Levi Dalton podcast while we do monotonous work on our farm at this time of year. The best guests tend to be American - partly because of the lack of a language barrier but also because their stories are so interesting. The John Gilman episode for example is great. But also hearing about these old vine Zinfandel vineyards from various producers - or this episode:

https://www.illdrinktothatpod.com/episo ... e-meredith

where Carole talks about discovering the source of zin in Croatia is really inspiring and interesting.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Dalton's podcasts are by the far the best wine related ones I've ever heard.

Those are some good vintages there Nicklass!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Ambrose, i would say like Jim, they're all good! I did not tasted many new vintages lately.

But i must say that the 2013 Geyserville the other night was probably one of my favorite of all time. I liked the 2015 Geyserville too in the past.

When it comes to Ridge Vineyards, seems like Geyserville and Lytton Spring never fail!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Interesting interview, thanks for posting Ambrose.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I had both of these years ago, when i was still early in my collecting. Probably had them both too young. Gloria needs a while. I had the 99 last week and it was just lovely. Perfect time to drink it, good fruit and acidity, structure that softened with a bit of air.

Maybe its time for me to revisit some of these Ridge zin blends. I haven't bought or drank them in a while.