Nobody will read or comment, but...

Nicklasss

Nobody will read or comment, but...

Post by Nicklasss »

Canada is making more and more good wine. That 2021Mission Hill sauvignon blanc reserve is a good example.

Brought back from my recent trip to BC. Pale, beautiful nose, blackcurrant bush, tangerines, lemon, a hint of candy. Nice mouth, flavors of sweet grapefruit, lemon, with a nice fat, but very fresh, honeydew melon. Length, a little bitterness, very good white wine. 12.5 % alcohol. Tn: 89.
Attachments
A very good dry white made in BC.
A very good dry white made in BC.
JimHow

Re: Nobody will read or comment, but...

Post by JimHow »

With global warming Canada will soon be producing age-worthy Bordeaux blends.
I still have the bottle of Inniskillin (sp) you gave me nearly 20 years ago, I'm guessing it may be a bit past its prime by now.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I like the color of that wine.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Nice note.

Jim faces a constant internal struggle between the Bordeaux wine enthusiast and the all wines enthusiast within him.

With that said, at a non-Bordeaux tasting Joel set up this weekend, I got some sneaky enjoyment out of a 2017 Silver Oak Alexander Valley, so I know the conflict...I may have to turn in my BWE card after that!
stefan

Post by stefan »

No comment 'cause I didn't read.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I read Marcus's and Stefans comments, does that count?

Marcus only tried that silver oak after he ran out of his "beloved 1992 Togni."

In all seriousness, I've been starting to hear some things about Canadian wine. Especially from the western BC regions. I'll be curious to see how this develops.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

Haven't tried this one in years but good not great sauvignon blanc from Mission Hills for my style. Still crisp, clean and unoaked so a friendly wine with reasonable acidity if I recall. Currently $23 at LCBO.

I agree that there's lots of reasonable wines being produced throughout Canada now and continuing to improve. Whether it be Niagara, BC or Prince Edward County not too far from us there are some pretty good producers and products getting better every year. Problem that I find trying many of these is there is typically better quality at lower price points from elsewhere in the world. I keep trying to sample and support local but my mainstay go to wines still are mainly old world. For sauvignon blanc that my wife goes through a lot of especially in the summer she sticks to New Zealand and occasionally Chile. Unfortunately both have high sulphite contents that I react to on the whole so I try to stay clear apart from sample tasting to get a feel for the wine. I don't like the flushing and sometimes nausea that comes with drinking too much of these wines. Not comfortable so I avoid them. Doesn't happen with red Bordeaux so I'm lucky there.

One of my favourite Sauvignon Blanc producers from Niagara has been Peninsula Ridge with the winemaker originating in France Loire region and styles his wines along the Sancerre style.
Danny
marcs

Post by marcs »

JoelD wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:30 pm I read Marcus's and Stefans comments, does that count?

Marcus only tried that silver oak after he ran out of his "beloved 1992 Togni."

In all seriousness, I've been starting to hear some things about Canadian wine. Especially from the western BC regions. I'll be curious to see how this develops.
Tell the rest of the story Joel - that Togni really was killer! :twisted:
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

stefan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:38 pm No comment 'cause I didn't read.
+1
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

We enjoyed BC wines when we visited Vancouver a few years ago, pretty much impossible to find in the US,
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

This is one Beaujolais-inspired BC wine that I recently enjoyed.
20220424_180458.jpg