2019, Calon Segur, Johnny Depp trial....

Claudius2

Re: 2019, Calon Segur, Johnny Depp trial....

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I'm watching the price of Calon Segur on en primeur.....
And I have to say, watching even a few short videos of the trial makes me feel rather nauseous.
A bit like a pirate being keel hauled for amusement. Oh well.
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:52 am That dashing hunk's career has gone down the shitter because some gal wrote a single op ed. Got it.
We are so fucked, my friends, and 99% of the population doesn't even realize it.
Didn’t he lose Pirates of the Caribbean specifically because of her op-Ed and accusations?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The same accusations that a British judge found "substantially true."
What a rabbit hole we are going down.
tim

Post by tim »

The British trial was a joke.

Depp won because there was overwhelming evidence that she was lying, and virtually none that supported her accusations. And it was also clear from the evidence that she was using the accusations to further both her career and her divorce settlement.

He deserved to win to clear his name. He did not have the benefit of "innocent until proven guilty" because he was assumed guilty in the eyes of his potential employers. The pretty outrageous op-eds that are coming out now in support of Heard are continuing that process.
tim

Post by tim »

If they are smart, she'll do a quick appeal and they'll settle for $3.5m out of court, most of which will go to the lawyers.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Depp will be back....he is uncancellable! (Is that even a word?)😆
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Next post.
Last edited by greatbxfreak on Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Jim,

I'm disappointed with your views.

You believe more what the English tabloid paper The Sun was writing about Depp and Heard than the papers in your own country. The English tabloids were guilty of mocking Amy Winehouse to death and some years ago of driving a well-known woman show figure to death as well a few years ago.

You don't even dare mention the exceptionally bright Camille Vasquez, Depp's lawyer, who literally shot down the defence of Heard in pieces and got her to confirm the bad things she did to harm Depp.

You are talking so badly of Depp. And another person on the forum is calling him a scumbag.

I'm with Tim.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/01/jury-deli ... -decision/
AKR

Post by AKR »

One nice thing about this trail was that I didn't have to pay $12 to get quite a bit of entertainment out of it.

I hope it gets appealed, and we get a sequel of a trial. And more special FX.
tim

Post by tim »

JimHow wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:18 pm Good article in The New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... _content=B
Really terrible, biased article that purposefully omits evidence that were brought out in trial that contradicts the statements in the article. For example:
Heard did accuse Depp of domestic violence when she filed for a temporary restraining order against him, in 2016, and, at that time, she appeared in paparazzi photos and on the cover of People magazine with apparent bruises and lacerations to her face.
Heard did this:

1. Six days after she had last been with Depp for the supposed bruises (and no lacerations)
2. One day before being photographed in public with zero bruises
3. A few days after she had filed for divorce without informing Depp and seeking spousal support
4. Later slipping up and admitting that TMZ had been informed of her intention to file for divorce
5. The same day that TMZ was informed that she would be at the courthouse and which side of her face the bruise is on so it can be properly photographed

Etc etc.

The evidence in the case OVERWHELMINGLY supported his version of events. These types of articles are a travesty pushed by a few advocates that completely misrepresent reality to support a very radical agenda.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Everyone salivating over this lawyer who crossed Heard. I thought she was about a C-minus. She read all her questions, like we used to do in law school. Everyone jumping on the fact that she had a back and forth over whether money was actually donated or pledged to ACLU. Not sure how that was even relevant. I defend guys like Johnny every week of the year. I’m scheduled to pick three juries next week for the June trial list, all three defendants are charged with domestic assault. This was not a criminal trial though. This was a defamation lawsuit. I think most legal experts in this field think the verdict is a travesty.
tim

Post by tim »

I agree with you Jim that the adoration over Depp's legal team, especially Camille, is overblown. Though I don't agree about the "most legal experts" comment (at least not the ones I've read).

One of the big lies that is being propagated right now by the radical press is that the backlash against Heard was from "Depp's fan base". The pushback was from people that watched the trial, or at least the key moments from the trial. I think a lot of people went into this either neutral or not caring one way or another. But the spectacle of Depp on the stand created a set of watchable moments, and each day it became more clear that Heard was lying.

This isn't a commentary on the impact of using defamation cases in order to attack allegations of abuse. I agree that can potentially lead to negative consequences. But in this case Depp had suffered actual and significant harm, and despite having a high burden to prove, the evidence convinced a jury to agree with him.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha I just went on the NYT site, where Michelle Goldberg called it a travesty...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/02/opin ... rdict.html

Is there any word on whether she is going to appeal? He seemed awfully abusive slamming those kitchen cabinets while finishing off his morning Bordeaux magnum. That alone was domestic violence. Who does that stuff in a healthy relationship?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Anyway... Gerry, let me know when you see some 2019 Calon Segur in New Hampshire....
tim

Post by tim »

JimHow wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:44 pm Ha I just went on the NYT site, where Michelle Goldberg called it a travesty...

Is there any word on whether she is going to appeal? He seemed awfully abusive slamming those kitchen cabinets while finishing off his morning Bordeaux magnum. That alone was domestic violence. Who does that stuff in a healthy relationship?
Heard edited down that video and sold it to TMZ the day before her deposition. That nugget that came out during the US trial. The cabinet may have been a victim of domestic violence, but there is no supported evidence that Heard was. Yet another example of her manipulating the narrative.

And that NYT opinion is exactly the kind of misrepresentation and inaccurate reporting that I was talking about earlier.

But I'd gladly open a 2019 Calon Segur if I had some.
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:44 pm Ha I just went on the NYT site, where Michelle Goldberg called it a travesty...

Slamming cabinet doors is domestic abuse? Damn, I’ve been the victim of abuse for sure then. No wonder I drink so much — ptsd!
tim

Post by tim »

For those that have the stomach for it, here is a transcript of one of the recordings of Depp/Heard, some of which was played at trial.

I don't recommend reading or listening.

https://annsilvers.com/blogs/news/johnn ... transcript
AKR

Post by AKR »

Yikes. I read a few min of that, then clicked out.

How can anyone treat Willy Wonka like that?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Defamer of a Calon Segur fan has "lost faith in the American legal system", to wit:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/19/arts ... ement.html

Depp is such a fan, he even painted a visage of his favorite estate. His magnus opus took a decade -- his devotion leaves me shamed. How can I call myself an enthusiast compared to an artist like him?

AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Well you probably heard (haha) that Amber just negotiated a settlement with her ex. The court fined him 2 million, but her 10 million.
Her press release was a masterpiece of hipocrisy and bad faith. Her settling should in no way, ever, be taken for an admission of wrongdoing. And the American judicial system is rotten to the core and mysogynistic.
Amber is the ultimate victim.
From her point of view, that is...

Alex R.