2019, Calon Segur, Johnny Depp trial....

JimHow

2019, Calon Segur, Johnny Depp trial....

Post by JimHow »

So....
I'm just a country lawyer from Maine.
I have not seen much of the Depp/Heard trial, but from what I have seen, it is staggering how inept these lawyers are.
These folks must be being paid, like, what, in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions for their services?
Honest to goodness, I have seen better performances from first year law students in moot court. Good grief.
There was a lawyer from the Heard team who looked 25 years old and was reading her cross examination notes like a sixth grader in some classroom presentation.
And, frankly, that judge seems like a total lightweight.

Speaking of Johnny Depp....

So the 2019 vintage is about to hit the shelves.
Early on, the likes of 2019 Calon Segur, Leoville Barton, Lynch Bages, Rauzan Segla, etc., where coming in at $79 at Zachy's and elsewhere.
My goal is to get these wines at similar prices moving forward. I predict I will, in NH if nowhere else.
I just got six bottles of 2019 Rauzan Segla at the original Zachy's price of $79, with a little help from my friend Musigny 151.
Now my goal is to get 3-6 bottles each of the usual suspects: Leoville Barton, Calon Segur, Lynch Bages, etc., etc., etc.

Gerry et al, if you see 2019 Calon Segur and Leoville Barton in the $80 range, please let me now!
Chateau Vin

Re: 2019, Calon Segur, Johnny Depp trial....

Post by Chateau Vin »

Hmm...

79 bucks for rauzan is a good deal...But I would be hard pressed to find that price range for calon or Lynch...

I don’t understand zachys stuff... their normal pricing is way above most of the retailers. The normal rauzan pricing is 109 and there are several retailers offering at 85. And I don’t understand their shipping charges either. They must be packaging in gold foils I guess... :lol:

I like klwines, total and jjb. I even love b-21 for their low prices, and no one can beat their 12 bucks flat shipping if the total purchase under 12 bottles is above 175...
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Chateau Vin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:04 am Hmm...

79 bucks for rauzan is a good deal...But I would be hard pressed to find that price range for calon or Lynch...

I don’t understand zachys stuff... their normal pricing is way above most of the retailers. The normal rauzan pricing is 109 and there are several retailers offering at 85. And I don’t understand their shipping charges either. They must be packaging in gold foils I guess... :lol:

I like klwines, total and jjb. I even love b-21 for their low prices, and no one can beat their 12 bucks flat shipping if the total purchase under 12 bottles is above 175...
I agree, will be tough to find those prices for the lynch or calon i think. But I hope you can so I can too!

Have you had good experiences with b-21? I've always been skeptical of florida retailers and the shitty shipping conditions etc.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JoelD wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:24 am

I agree, will be tough to find those prices for the lynch or calon i think. But I hope you can so I can too!

Have you had good experiences with b-21? I've always been skeptical of florida retailers and the shitty shipping conditions etc.
I have bought several times from b-21, so far I have had normal experience. But I always got my stuff shipped in winters though...Never had them ship anything even in spring, as it’s pretty warm shipping to SoCal from FL...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JoelD wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:24 am

I have bought several times from b-21, and so far I have had normal experience. But I always got my stuff shipped in winters though...Never had them ship anything even in spring, as it’s pretty warm shipping to SoCal from FL...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Early in the 2019 futures campaign at Zachys I had Lynch, Leoville Barton, Calon Segur, and Rauzan Segla all queued up in my cart at $79. I didn’t pull the trigger. Eventually the wines either all sold out or rose in price. I was able to get Rauzan Segla for $79 the other day. I previously got Montrose fur $130, and La Conseilante for like $109 at MacArthurs. I think we’ll be able to get similar pricing when they go on sale in NH.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I hope you're right, Jim. If so I may have to make a trip up. Wow on that La Conseillante price, I got a couple bottles at 170 and thought that was a good price. Luckily I got some Montrose at those prices too, along with Lynch in the 80-90 range.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I take that back, Joel, I checked my MacArthur’s receipt, I paid $169.99 back in March 2021, I got 6 bottles.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

no issues with B-21 for me. Good shipping rates and free shipping every month on the 21st. You have to email them but they do reply.
ericp

Post by ericp »

JimHow wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:53 am Early in the 2019 futures campaign at Zachys I had Lynch, Leoville Barton, Calon Segur, and Rauzan Segla all queued up in my cart at $79. I didn’t pull the trigger. Eventually the wines either all sold out or rose in price. I was able to get Rauzan Segla for $79 the other day. I previously got Montrose fur $130, and La Conseilante for like $109 at MacArthurs. I think we’ll be able to get similar pricing when they go on sale in NH.
I think the Lynch was more Jim but the others were right around that price point as I got some Barton and Poyferre right around there from Gordons.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, E, I’m looking to get 3-6 bottles of my usual suspects from 2019, including Calon Segur, Leoville and Langoa Barton, Lynch Bages, Lafon Rochet, Sociando Mallet, Giscours, etc., etc. I already have ordered La Conseillante, Montrose, Tour Saint Christophe, and Rauzan Segla. I’m going to be relying heavily on Gerry M to report in on the NH deals.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
White said the couple ran up a $160,000 bill with a wine merchant by the end of their marriage.
>>

That must have been a merchant from whom Depp did not buy much.
ericp

Post by ericp »

BD - I might have to tag in on the GAS - Gerry Alerting System. man, thats a bad acronym :lol:
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Musigny 151 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:47 am And speaking of Depp
https://www.insider.com/johnny-depp-amb ... 2022-4?amp
Sometimes, when you compare, you have a different view.

I thought many were spending too much on wines here. Not anymore. Even stefan looks like an "amateur" vs the Heard-Depp couple!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

By the way, looking forward to get my 2019 this fall. I know i have some bottles coming, that are among Jim's favorite: Lynch Bages and Grand-Puy Lacoste.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Some people are rating the 2019 Lynch at 100 points!
stefan

Post by stefan »

For sure. Certainly I have never spent $500 on a bottle of Spanish wine; not even $100.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I got my first shipment of 2019s. Three splits of Gazin and three bottles of La Lagune. I think La Lagune is a bad purchase, and stefan will attest to that...
stefan

Post by stefan »

If you must buy LL, the time to do it is on futures, when you know that the storage has been good.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

As I understand it all shipments of LL in the past present and future have/will sat in the hot sun for days on end.
AKR

Post by AKR »

stefan wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:43 pm For sure. Certainly I have never spent $500 on a bottle of Spanish wine; not even $100.
I don't understand it either - especially given my taint rate as 5 of 7 bad bottles in the last year were Spanish - but some of them are scarce, and thus get bid up after they get flashy reviews. At least I can understand 40 year old classic Rioja, which is genuinely hard to find because most of it was drunk up, and if stateside, was not generally cellared properly. Too many of the older Rioja (purchased after market) seem more faded than what I've held myself, when I compare 1994 - 2005 examples, which are the only ones I've made limp wristed efforts at backfilling.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I believe they were identified as Vega Sicilia. Presumably the Unico, which is up in that rarified atmosphere. And from TwentyTwenty, liquor store to the stars and not known for bargain prices.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

ericp wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:11 pm BD - I might have to tag in on the GAS - Gerry Alerting System. man, thats a bad acronym :lol:
🤣🤣 I check out the various inventory sources a couple of times a week and I'll dutifully report in at the 1st siting.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I can only guess that if Depp "wins" the case, that is, if any outcome can reasonably be called a win, the price of Calon Segur will escalate.
Depp will have to throw some big parties and treat the entourage with numerous cases of it.

I think we need to invent a Calon Segur crypto currency including NFTs of the Estate and chais.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So I was scrolling through channels last night and Aquaman was on.
I watched most of it, too tired to finish it.
She was pretty good! I can see how that would've been a fun summer movie.
I never heard of Aquaman or Amber Heard before this trial.
I hope she wins the trial, Johnny and his supporters are schmucks.
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Agreed. The amount of support he is getting is baffling
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

JimH,

When Heard cried while examinated, there were no tears to be seen.

My daughter says she showed fake feelings and lied a lot.

I hope Depp wins.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

greatbxfreak wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:44 am JimH,

When Heard cried while examinated, there were no tears to be seen.

My daughter says she showed fake feelings and lied a lot.

I hope Depp wins.

Hard to get any roles if u can't even fake cry!🤔😉
tim

Post by tim »

I think Amber Heard is a total liar, the evidence contradicts everything she says. I hope Depp wins big on this one. She is pretty evil.

Though I have to give her credit for liking Vega Sicilia Unico. She has good taste in Spanish wine.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Ambrose wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:52 am Agreed. The amount of support he is getting is baffling
I wish they would just give their money to me, so I could buy wine. They are not worthy.
Although Amber is worse, Johnny is still a scumbag.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I don’t know which one is worse, and don’t want to. From what has filtered through my attempts to look away, it wouldn’t bother me if there was some way both could be losers. And in fact both probably are after the media shellacking they’ve received.

Calon Segur OTOH… wouldn’t mind having more of that in the cellar.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Calon Segur fans vindicated.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I will repeat it : i can believe he left Vanessa Paradis for the Aquawoman.

This seems like a good warning to me, if i would quit MC for...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We live in insane times.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That dashing hunk's career has gone down the shitter because some gal wrote a single op ed. Got it.
We are so fucked, my friends, and 99% of the population doesn't even realize it.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

To celebrate 🍾 the Depp verdict...I'm watching one of my all time favorite movies 2nite

https://youtu.be/_64Qv0jV_PY

Niel Young scored it the studio watching it on a giant screen

https://youtube.com/watch?v=w0CFj7ehqF0&feature=share

Stunning cinematography by Robbie Muller

🔥💪🙌
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I'm curious, Jim. In which way do you mean that this is insane?

There are arguments to be made on both sides. When that came out, I think it was around the height of the MeToo movement where lots of peoples careers were in question because of accusations. Some sadly quite true, and some like this were not(at least according to the jury).

The false accusations are the worst in my opinion, because it not only sets back that movement but also fucks "innocent people" in the process.

Is this similar to the debate about cops lying on the stand that we had last year vs guilty people getting away with crimes?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This doesn't even come close to the issue of cops lying on the stand, Joel.
This country has a long First Amendment history of making it difficult to establish defamation lawsuits, particularly against public figures.
Johnny lost his case in the UK, where the standard is more friendly to the complaining party.
There are reasons why we don't want to open these cans of worms resulting in huge multi-million dollar verdicts.
The nexus between a single op-ed article and the "ruination of the career" of a guy who has inflicted massive amounts of damage on himself is tenuous at best. The internet circus-like mugging of Heard on line is a symptom of a very, very sick society.
Now I see Kyle Rittenhouse is licking his chops to sue everyone for defamation in light of the Depp verdict.
Let the fun begin....