TN: a dinner with Mike

NoahR

TN: a dinner with Mike

Post by NoahR »

Great wine night at BlackSalt in DC to celebrate my friend Mike Grammer coming in from Toronto. Every bottle spot on, in flights:

1. 09 Cristal, 02 Bollinger, 06 Billecart Cuvée Nicolas
- Bolly edging out the other two but only barely

2. 17 PYCM vs Bouzereau Meursault- totally different styles. Bouzereau far more rounded and integrated. Colin-Morey needs a decade.

3. 82 Canon, 89 Rauzan-Segla, 00 PLL - all wonderful, with Canon on point and the winner for me. PLL drinking well but still a decade young for my tastes.

4. 02 Bertheau Amoureuses vs 02 Chevillon Cailles
The table liked the Chevillon a good bit but Amoureuses had a nose of candy and red berries and sweet spice on an ethereal palate and was the winner for me.

5. Kracher 98’s - the Chardonnay TBA was my favorite of these, over the welschriesling, with a bit of smokiness.
Attachments
AA20615C-8C51-4D80-82AE-94EB4F5C6A75.jpeg
0E009DBB-3DC6-4676-B5BB-B99984948199.jpeg
5D748FE3-4A2C-4EF5-9F8D-ECB3035D5E89.jpeg
jckba

Re: TN: a dinner with Mike

Post by jckba »

Nice lineup and that’s the Pichon Baron not the Lalande (PLL). So what was the WOTN and did yours differ from the groups?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Great lineup, Noah. A lot of wines that I am generally a fan of. How's the 06 Billecart drinking? I've been waiting on my bottles for now.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Don't see many comments on Kracher....those were all the rage in the 90's.

Nice notes
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

good to see you posting Noah; looks like a fun evening! I've been eyeing my 04 GA Bollinger. Might be time for as bottle soon.
NoahR

Post by NoahR »

It was indeed the Pichon Baron, not PLL!

The Billecart was wonderful - balanced, brioche prominent. Certainly better than the Cristal at this stage but I don’t know that I had a favorite between it and the Grand Annee…
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Another great dinner at Black Salt. All the wines were in very good condition, showed very well and tasted as hoped and expected. A great time was had by all!

The Champagnes were all quite different from each other and all were wonderful - I had no particular preference among them.

The two 2017 Meursaults seemed quite young to me. Both very good but I had a slight preference the PYCM.

Nice flight of Bordeaux with the 1982 Canon in a great place - wonderful mature, classy right bank. The 2000 Pichon Baron is a great wine that could use about 10 years to reach serious maturity. The 1989 Rauzan Segla is a very nice wine but was a bit overshadowed by the other two Bordeaux.

Wonderful 2002 red Burgundy, my favorite was which ever one I was drinking at the time.

The dessert wine flight was very interesting - all were very sweet, probably a little too sweet for me. My preference among these was the Chardonnay.

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done! Very well done indeed!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Looks like a great event.
I've got a tentative date with Mike for lunch next Friday.