2010 Medoc and Pessac tasting. What a controversial night.

Claudius2

2010 Medoc and Pessac tasting. What a controversial night.

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Last night I did a smallish tasting of five 2010 left bank wines, being three from Pessac Leognan and one each from St Julien and Pauillac.

Before writing about the individual wines, I'd like to explain the format.
The tasting was at a local French restaurant, and the wines were decanted two hours before we started.
The temperature of the wines was fine when they were initially tasted, though they did get rather warm over the next 3-4 hours.
There were two bottles of each thus 10 bottles sipped down by ten tasters.
The tasters were from the UK, South Africa, Netherlands, China, Singapore and Australia (me, that is). All were tasting regulars.
Sorry the photo is a bit wobbly. Wines were:

Domaine de Chevalier
Smith Haut Lafitte
Haut Bailly
Leoville Barton
Pontent Canet.
Bdx 2010.jpg
Now the style of the wines attracted much more discussion than the actual comments about individual wines.
I am quite surprised. The wines were all properly stored (en primeur puchases which arrived nine years ago, stored in professional wine storage).
The wines were all very dark coloured with pinky/purple rims, looking like a few years old, and whilst I don't use the term "glossy", a few tasters mentioned it.

All the wines were low in acid and with the possible exception of Pontet Canet, they were low in tannins.
Terms used universally were that the wines were "soft", "open", "accessible", "gentle" and "simple".
I'll elaborate on this as the wines were not what I expected nor hoped for.
That is not to say that they were bad - not at all - it is just that they did not taste like classic Bordeaux to not just me but the majority of tasters.
The group was overall disappointed by the sameness of these wines, and their lack of structure.
Now I have had a few 2010's when 5 years old and they were clearly more tannic than these wines.
I can't follow how well reputed Bordeaux is so soft and easy at this age.
It is NOT storage or handling that was the issue here.
The back vintage Leoville Barton tasting of wines from 1982 to 2000 came from the same source and they were very good.

So what can I make of this?
I am rarely lost for words when it comes to wine from anywhere, but I am rather bewildered.
The wines offered virtually no bouquet the entire evening, thought LB was a bit of an exception. I'll explain below.
The three Pessac wines may as well have been poured together into one decanter and glass as we really struggled to see any site variations.
I drank them with a charcuterie platter, quite a lot of sour dough bread and slow cooked beef cheeks, followed by a cheese platter.
I thought they went well with the food though food didn't give me a different aromatic or flavour profile.

So let me outline the wines:

Domaine de Chevalier.
Medium bodied, gentle nose showing smoky dark fruit, a touch of savoury/tobacco characters. A touch of milk chocolate and mocha.
A very soft wine which was in last place overall.
it simply offered no complexity, had a loose structure and is what the English would probably call a luncheon claret. Commercial style.
I have a full case in storage (plus 2009) and I hope it gets better.

CT (Cellartracker) av score is 92.7 and I wonder if we are drinking the same wine.

Smith Haut Lafitte
Very similar to the Chevalier, a touch more dusty, cedary oak.
Nose and palate gave dark fruit, some cassis and blueberry, and a relatively short finish.
It had a bit more structure than the Chevalier, was quite nice and I'd be happy to drink it anytime.
But not a wine that impressed me. Second last to the group.
CT av score is 93.8. Whatever.

Haut Bailly
More earthy, mocha character than the two above. Seems a bit tighter with some violets, dark and blue friut.
With time some savoury characters emerged but still a gentle wine.
A touch more tannin though still low acid to the ripe and round fruit.
Slightly longer finish though it ain't no Haut Brion or La Mission.
CT av of 94.2. Sure...

Before I mention the Medocs, they were to my palate a step up and showed some individuality rather than the rather monolithic Pessac wines.

Leoville Barton
The nose of this wine was distinct with some balsamic vinegar, leather, pencil lead, ink, hung game and savoury characters and dark fruit.
Whilst the wine does show the vintage, it also shows the style of the estate.
The palate was fruity and rich, the tannins were moderate and it has a touch more acid than the wines above.
It was the slowest to emerge in the glass but also the most distinct.
I liked it but it wasn't as structured as as complex as I hoped.
CT av of 94.0. Yeah...

Pontet Canet.
Very reticent at first, it opened overtime to reveal deeper, more classical Bordeaux fruit.
Some described it as "polished", "deep" and "spicy".
The fruit was clearly more impressive to my palate, showing the Pauillac Appellation as well as the vintage.
Tannins and acid are soft, though there is a bit of grip to the wine. The tannins are very fine and almost chocolaty - like some Australian reds I have to say. In fact,
With time, some earthy, gamey characters emerged, and a touch of spice and truffle.
Now this is nothing like the Pontet Canets I have drunk from earlier years.
At the same age, the 2000, 2001, 2002 and even 2003 were more tannic and other than the 2003, more acidic.
Having said that, it was to my palate the best wine, and it was also the group's pick.
CT av is 95.1 whatever that actually means.

Overall PC was the winner, followed by LB and Haut Bailly, virtually everyone putting the Dom de Chevalier last.

Now I drank 2010 Haut Bergey and Cos Labory St Estephe in the last few months, plus a few Cru Bourgeois of no great repute.
The Haut Bergey was very similar to the three Pessac wines above, and when I last drank it, I thought it was the producer - quite open style, ripe fruit, some mocha and nutty oak. Lowish acid and tannins. Seriously, the Haut Bergey tasted better to me and it was only decanted for half an hour after being pulled out of a wine fridge. On that basis, I would not rate 2010 as a top vintage in the Graves/Pessac region - though clearly some stars are likely to be found. The fruit lacks grip, the palate shows soft and ripe tannins and they all had some chocolate/mocha characters which I have to say reminded me of the Barossa Valley. If you said it was Turkey Flat I would arguably have believed you.

The two Medocs were to most palates a step up, and Pontet Canet was a deeper, denser and more structured effort BUT the soft, ripe characters of the vintage are still manifest, and whilst both were very pleasant, they were not captivating, complex wines. There is no intellectual or ethereal aspects to them and that I say with a sense of dismay.

I would love to do the same tasting in say, ten years time, but the typical reaction of the group is that the Pessac wines in particular will NOT make old bones. I would certainly hold the LB and particularly the PC for some time, though I have to say that I feel nervous about the future of the Pessac wines.

One last point.
Later in the night, I poured the leftovers out of the two bottles of each wine, wondering if I could see variations in the two same wines. No chance. They were the same. further, none of the wines had shed any tannins at all. I literally shook the last few drops out.

cheers
Mark
JCNorthway

Re: 2010 Medoc and Pessac tasting. What a controversial night.

Post by JCNorthway »

Interesting tasting and comments, Mark. I have only a few 2010s and have not opened any of them yet. Perhaps, based on your tasting, I should do a bit of investigating with my bottles.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Interesting experience, Mark. 2010 seems to be all over the place. Jacques, Jill and I most recently had that insane 2010 Troplong Mondot which we really liked, but Ian/Alex did not. We’ve experienced the 2010 GPL that some of us think is putrid. Now your notes. The Pontet and SHL were RMP100s, no?
AKR

Post by AKR »

I found that the 2010 DdC rouge took almost 2-3 days to open up and blossom. Haven't tasted the others that I can recall.

Maybe the modern winemaking has polished up the tannins.

Last night we had a 2000 St Emilion that tasted quite a bit different than the lat one, roughly six months ago.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for the details on your tasting of some 2010, Claudius.

Your comments about the Pessac wines are worrying. I think i don't have any Pessac from 2010. I can't remember exactly what i have in my cellar, but surely Calon Segur, Gloria(drank two of those already, with great pleasure) and Duhart Milon. I guess i have some Sociando Mallet too.

I have a tough time to say when should be opened the 2010 Médoc wines, even from your comments on LB and PC.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sat May 07, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Very interesting. This is how I've felt about a lot of 2010 Bordeaux that i've tried. Or they taste new world. I purposely have very little 2010, between the high ABV on a lot of the wines and the style. I do think they might be in a shut down phase right now though and I agree that it would be a lot better to do this in another 10 years.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nice notes and thoughts on a set of wines that were probably opened about decade too early and I would hope that 10 years from now the differences between said wines will be more discernible and especially since I own 4 of the 5 wines poured.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Interesting tasting for sure. I last tasted 1 2010 two years ago; it was La Lagune. I felt it was a waste to be drinking it then.

The sameness you described reminds me of 1997 Napa Cabernets. 1997 was considered a great vintage, but to me all the wines tasted the same.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Thank you for detailed notes, and what an interesting tasting.
It was a touted as a large opulent vintage with great acidity. I have only tasted the Giscours recently which was certainly well balanced.
AKR

Post by AKR »

stefan wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:59 pm
The sameness you described reminds me of 1997 Napa Cabernets. 1997 was considered a great vintage, but to me all the wines tasted the same.
I feel like the 97 Napa wines turned out fine with time, and if anything, were a bit less huge than what would happen when climate change and peak Parker influence kicked in maybe 5-10 years later.

Now, I can hardly recognize all the wines coming out of the region - there are so many names/brands that I have never heard of. Where did they all come from? Is this all internet riches being turned into vineyard passive losses?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Interesting and a bit worrisome. The 2010s were supposed to be crisper and fresher than the preceding 2009s, with more acidity to balance all the ripe fruit. Doesn’t sound like these bottles were delivering on that promise. Will they come around with more time?

Sounds like the wines were well stored and served at appropriate temperature. I’d ask if it was hot and humid enough to be a bad day for red wines all around, but you’ve been in that climate long enough that I’m sure you’ve adjusted to it.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Mark, interesting notes. IIRC, when 2010 was released it was considered very tannic and needing age. 2009 was the more open vintage. 10 years later is still in the grey area that may still be in the closed phase. Your notes reflex your experience, but I DEFINITELY would revisit in 10 years more. Also, do your trust the transport that got the wines to you? Too easy to heat damage.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I have no doubt that the 2010s are not ready yet.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
The person who brought the wines is entirely obsessive about storage and handling.
He took the wines out of a cool room and packed them in a temp controlled wine case - some hi tech Esky.
Even before we tried them, he pointed out that they were perfectly handled and I have no reason to disagree.
Having said that, do NOT buy back vintages of Bordeaux (or anything else for that matter) in a hot climate country unless you are 100% sure of their provenance.
I'd say exactly the same in Australia by the way. When I first started auctions in the 80's a high proportion were a mess due to hopeless storage.

I would however like to discuss the development of these wines.
I have drunk quality wine since the mid 70's and started buying Bordeaux en primeur in the early 80's.
I have no way of predicting the development of these wines as the tannins and acid were low, and the Pessac wines in particular were soft, open, and easy to drink. At this age, I would expect to see the structure of the wines more so than the fruit BUT the opposite was the overall finding.

The lack of structure worries me.
I have at least twenty twelve bottle OWC lots of 2010's plus numerous broken lots of a few bottles here and there.
Similarly, I have about the same amount of 2009's and the two vintages represent a fairly significant investment on my part, not to mention the annual storage costs. And wine is about twice the price here incl al taxes and handling than in Europe.
Most well renowned vintages over the last 50 years or so were balanced and structured young, though they had firmness on the palate.
Again the Pessac wines in particular were softly fruity and that is seriously about all they showed.
I have never tried Bordeaux that taste like this young.

Can I compare some yardsticks.
I bought quite a lot of 1982 EP wines in Australia when I was in my twenties.
I'd not even heard of en primeur then but the local importers and the usual critics (except a few English reviewers) raved about them.
I opened many wines at 12-15 years of age, and also managed to get some absolute bargains at auction in the 80's and 90's (accepting some failures due to crappy storage).
The 1982 vintage was ripe, rich, softly fruity young BUT with layers of tannins, acid and French oak.
I thought they tasted great young and the structure added to the wine rather than made it dry, hard or unforgiving.
Similarly, I'd say much the same about 1989 and 1990.
There was richness and depth of fruit but with mostly with good structure and depth.
And that is where the difference lies.
We were looking for more than what the wines actually offered.
I was hoping for richness of fruit, meshed with freshness, balance, structure and some tighness.
The Pontet Canet was the only wine showing reasonable tannins, noting that they were fine and ripe. Even then, it has to be described as a modern style. Having said that, it was to me easily the best wine.

I am wondering though if the wine world has just changed in my lifetime.
In Australia, many producers are now returning to their roots, with medium bodied reds with freshness and balance, rather than the huge, tarry, hi alcohol wines that were popular for some time (and realistically still are to some palates).

I have drunk numerous single bottles of 2014's and even the second wines, CB's and less famous estates tasted like my concept of Bordeaux. The classed growths such as Beychevelle, Lagrange, Ferriere and a few St Emilions reminded me of some 1988's some years ago. So I kept thinking after the tasting that I should load up the truck on 2014 and sell off the 2010's stating with Domaine Chevalier.

In the meantime, I'm watching a Zoom based auction here in Singapore (Winefields) and the 2010's are going for solid prices - typically the hi end of their estimates.

cheers
Mark
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Hmm, sounds like sending them to auction is tempting…

Harry suggested heat damage, which can be an issue no matter how well the wine is stored after purchase. If the wine sat on a hot loading dock or in a hot delivery truck somewhere between the chateau and the consumer it might have been cooked. But I’m not reading notes of stewed veggies or other indicators of heat damage, and no bottles showed pushed corks or signs of seepage.

Sure they are still young and probably in a dumb stage but if that’s the case they should be all tannin, acid, and structure with the fruit hiding. About the opposite of what you tasted.

I’ve opened a few 2010s (none of those in your tasting) to check on them at the decade mark (or before for some early drinkers), and I haven’t seen any lack of structure. A few were purchased as futures and cellared since release, others bought at retail in 2020. These are just me, no validation from other tasters:

Beychevelle in 2020: Purchased in 2020, perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Cassis, red fruits, a nice green streak, some tobacco on the nose. Medium-full body, crisp ripe fruit with good balance, still moderate tannins, just starting to show a bit of tertiary complexity. Still improving. Excellent.

Branaire Ducru in 2020: Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Pop and pour and followed over the course of the evening. Opens up within 30-60 minutes. Nice nose of cassis, mocha. Full bodied, lots of ripe fruit, good balancing acidity, medium-long finish. This has emerged from slumber and is drinking well but still no real tertiary complexity. Plenty of fruit, acid, and tannin to develop into something even more interesting over time. Excellent with potential for improvement.

Haut Bergey in 2018: Took an early look in on this. Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Not a very exuberant nose, but cassis and some earthy, smoky elements are there. Medium body, good balance, no complexity, medium finish. Nothing wrong here but not that exciting. Will wait a few years to see if any complexity starts to develop. Very good.

d’Issan in 2020: Retail purchase 2020, perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Dark fruits, coffee, hints of smoke and earth on the nose. Medium-full body, ripe fruit, good balancing acidity, hint of refreshing green, moderate tannins. Moderate-long finish. Has emerged from shut-down but not yet showing true aged complexity. Excellent now but should be better in another 5-10 years.

La Lagune in 2020: Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Opens over 90 minutes to develop a strong nose of cassis, dark fruits, forest floor, some oak. Full body, ripe fruit, no aged complexity yet, plenty of acid and tannin to balance the ripe fruit, will likely improve over the next decade but excellent now.

Rochemorin in 2015 (a very nice early drinking QPR that Robert Goulet here turned me on to): Pop and pour a few hours after bringing this one home from the store. Dark red to rim. Opens up nicely in less than 30 minutes to show Graves-y stony minerally earth, ripe fresh red fruits, cherry, bit of leather and cassis on the nose. Medium body, nice balance with crisp fresh fruits, minerality, palate follows the nose, bit of tannins, medium finish. Nice Graves typicity and great QPR. Not sure if this is made for the long haul but should continue to drink well for the next 5-10 years. Very good to excellent.

du Tertre in 2020: Retail purchase in 2020, perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Nice nose of cherry and cassis with some earthy and savory notes. Medium body, crisp fruit, nice acidity, nice fresh green streak, grippy tannins, medium finish. No aged complexity yet but it’s out of its shell. Not as big or as promising as a recent 2010 D’Issan but will likely be better in 5-10 years. Excellent.

Figeac in 2020: We had this blind at the 2020 BWE DC Convention. I lost my notes on this but it made a good showing. Not at the level of the 1990. I recall thinking it had a bright future.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had a 2010 Madiran last night (Alain Brumont's Montus Prestige) and that showed a lot of structure, but eminently balanced with decanting/vinturri....and cassoulet. It will age effortlessly, perhaps another 10-20 years.

There might be some unique circumstances that Claudius2 faces that others don't, as my instinct would be to not to do anything rash. Selling wines that you know, and where provenance is true, is likely going to mean the wines wont be replaced in our inflationary world.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I think this is a great time to sell high, Mark. Maybe start by offloading 1/3 to 1/2 of your 2010's. Also checking in on recent reviews and CellarTracker to decide which ones. Then reassess on what you've kept in another 5 years. As long as the world economy doesn't go fully to shit, they should retain or increase their value.

I'm sure some 2010's will be great. I totally agree with you about the 2010 DDC though. But I'm personally skeptical of both 2009 and 2010 and have kept my backfilling to a minimum based on prices and style. I'm still backfilling 2000-2005 and then generally skip up to 2014 as well.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I second Arv in trying to not to do anything rash.

Claudius, if the wines that you had were not from your stash, then try a bottle of the same chateau or two from your stash to ascertain if you feel the same.

That would give you a better picture for what you want to do with your 2010s...
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Also, in semi jest, how is the Covid status of the group?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Chateau Vin wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:58 pm I second Arv in trying to not to do anything rash.

Claudius, if the wines that you had were not from your stash, then try a bottle of the same chateau or two from your stash to ascertain if you feel the same.

That would give you a better picture for what you want to do with your 2010s...
Yeah I largely agree though I am wondering if I was too greedy when the en primeur offers came out here. I overdid it partly as I left most of Bordeaux behind in Australia in 2009 and most of it was sent to auction the next year or two - just too risky and expensive shipping it all to Singapore.

In the meantime I am definitely going to look out for more 2014. Rather surprised it wasn’t loved much by the trade. I will continue to watch the auctions but won’t flip the 2010’s now. I will however send off the last of the hi alc Australian Shirazes to auction. I simply can’t bear the idea of opening them any more.

DavidG
I have cases of several of the wines you mentioned incl the Haut Bergey which I did pop and pour a few months ago and it was again an open wine with plenty of ripe fruit. I actually liked it though some of the commentators here were rather unimpressed with it based on responses. Yet it did have a soft, rather loose structure which I thought was the house style and not a Pessac character of the vintage.

If that is the direction that Graves/Pessac is going, I am rather disappointed as the four wines incl Haut Bergey were not like my historical view of the region. And Haut Brion and La Mission are to my palate unquestionably two of the finest wines in Bordeaux, offering different characters to either Medoc or right bank wine.

I also keep thinking of the 2008 right bank tasting I went to several years ago. That modern, open style was evident when they were several years old so maybe I just have to accept that the region is getting warmer and the wines more modern.

Cheers
Mark
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Mark, I hope Haut Bergey is not an indicator for all of Graves/Pessac. I find it less complex and not that interesting. I would say it's the estate rather than the vintage that is not that exciting here. It's OK for early drinking but Rochemorin pushes the same buttons for less money so I've stopped buying Haut Bergey.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Haut Bergey in general is as boring as a '93 Baitailley.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I am almost sure the DDC will not improve (see earlier posts about the incredibly boring 2005). The property has extraordinary terroir, and the 2010 was in the Dererencourt era of non descript wines. I understand 2019 is better, will taste it as soon as mine arrives.

After these notes, I pulled out a a Lanessan 2010. I decanted it three hours before sitting down, but tasted it every hour or so. Closed and dour, it wasn’t doing anything for the first couple of hours, it began to improve just before pouring, and blossomed in the glass. It was actually quite a stunning wine. One thing I wanted to check after Mark’s write up was the acidity. I thought it was correct, and did not see any softness.

My gut is that the wines may have closed down, and going through an awkward stage. Hard to say as I have only this sample and a Giscours, but I would give it several more years before getting rid of them.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the interesting post Mark.

I have had mainly good experiences with the 2010 vintage and put quite a few chips on the table.

During 2020, during the lockdowns, I participated in quite a few virtual tastings with the likes of D’Issan, Leoville Barton, Haut-Bailly, Smith Haut Lafitte, Giscours among them - and the 2010s always showed very well - they were big masculine, strapping wines, which carried their high alcohol well.

For sure the 2009s were rounder, more opulent and accessible but my impression was wow! What a couple of fab vintages, and so different in personality.

Iirc, with the 2019, my favourite D’Issan was the 2010. I invested in a case and a couple of extra bottles to boot. I drank one of the 2010 bottles and it was disappointing squidgy and unfocused - quite disappointing really - I was quite flummoxed - similar to your experience.

Last year however, Chateau Margaux 2010 was a sensation.

A final thought.

When we do these tastings, it is often not sufficient to ensure that these wines are at the right temperature at the beginning of the tasting. When wines heat up they become more diffuse. To be clear I am not casting any aspersions, but temperature is so absolutely critical. It always pays to err on the side of serving wines too cold. For Bordeaux, even more so for burgundy.

I tried the 2010 Haut-Bailly with Alex and Patrick in six months ago at the estate and it was a classical structured claret, a superb wine. I am not surprised about the DDC, see Mark’s post.
Camille_wine

Post by Camille_wine »

Hello Mark,

Very interesting post, the tasting seems to have been done properly, thank you for giving all the détails such as the wines came in two bottles, and all of them were bought En Primeurs.

This is very inexplicable that you found those 2010 so boring, I don't get it.

However we would be glad to invite you to Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte next time you're in Bordeaux to retaste our 2010 with you and maybe a few others as well :)

Please let me know next time you pass by : camille@meyrou.com
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Welcome to BWE, Camille!

We had a wonderful visit to Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte in 2015 with M. and Mme. Cathiard, and we look forward to getting back there again, hopefully in the spring of 2023!

I was able to find Danny's photo album of our 2015 trip to Bordeaux, including our visit to Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte the evening that the Singapore president Danny Fan was there, the Cathiards were very gracious to come out into the garden with us...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128424418 ... 8646/page1

The pictures from SHL are mostly on pages 3 and 4 of the album.

JimHow
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Camille_wine wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:53 am Hello Mark,

Very interesting post, the tasting seems to have been done properly, thank you for giving all the détails such as the wines came in two bottles, and all of them were bought En Primeurs.

This is very inexplicable that you found those 2010 so boring, I don't get it.

However we would be glad to invite you to Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte next time you're in Bordeaux to retaste our 2010 with you and maybe a few others as well :)

Please let me know next time you pass by : camille@meyrou.com
Camille
Many thanks for your reply.
The SHL wasn’t boring and I did say that it is a wine that I’d be happy to drink anytime.
The tasting was done very carefully and the ten participants are all regular Bordeaux drinkers so the the lowish acids and tannins were a surprise to us. However tastings like this are always a glimpse in time - and I reason I don’t give 100 point ratings.

I also have quite a few cases of 2010 and also 2009 Bordeaux and am most certainly not giving up on them. I will however leave them alone for some time and am quite intrigued how they will develop with time.

Cheers
Mark