1997 Mondavi Cabernet Reserve

JCNorthway

1997 Mondavi Cabernet Reserve

Post by JCNorthway »

Back in the early 00's, I bought some bottles of Mondavi's reserve cabs from several vintages from 1991 thru 1997. This was pretty much the end of my purchases of Cali Cabs (with the exception of Karl Lawrence, which I've commented on previously). I've found most of the Mondavi's to be very enjoyable with decent structure to balance the richer California fruit. I think my all-time favorite was the 1991, which I drank between 2001 and 2021, with the last one still being lovely.

Tonight the 1997, my last, was very enjoyable, though I think it now beyond its best. It still had a lot of good dark fruit flavors, but it was starting to lose its backbone. I'm glad I had this now, as I'm sure it will not improve with further aging. I still have a couple of 94's and 95's which seem to be developing more slowly that the 97. I will be checking in on them soon.
DavidG

Re: 1997 Mondavi Cabernet Reserve

Post by DavidG »

Thanks Jon, I have good memories of those Mondavi Reserves from the mid-80s to mid-90s. Those, the BV Georges de Latour, Montelena Estate, and Ridge Monte Bello were my go-to Calis back then.
AKR

Re: 1997 Mondavi Cabernet Reserve

Post by AKR »

Those producers are still the ones I trust, and recognize.

I'd note that at some point Mondavi shifted their house style away from winning max critical review points, and just stuck to what they thought would pair well with food, as well as age gracefully. That may have helped keep at least some BWE on their customer list, even if it might have led to some sales issues in the short run