BWE France 2023?

JimHow

BWE France 2023?

Post by JimHow »

I was just looking at Danny's photo album from our historic trip to Bordeaux in 2015:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128424418 ... 8646/page1

We had an epic trip scheduled in 2020, just as the pandemic hit, and we had to cancel at literally the last minute.

Perhaps it is time to plan one last shindig in Bordeaux, perhaps next spring?

Howard Kwok at Tour Saint Christophe / Belfont Belcier has contacted me several times, he looks forward to our visit.
Michael-P

Re: BWE France 2023?

Post by Michael-P »

Maltus (Dome, Asteries, etc) was eager to have us visit too.

Michael-P
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie and I are in!
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus »

Hope to be in Bordeaux in early Sept for the Rugby WC.
But a quick flight for me, so can make it there most time of the year. So count me in.
Conor
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Happy, happy days, that 2015 trip was just epic.

A 2023 trip should be doable especially after disappointing 2021 vintage (thinking aloud), the biggest problem we might have is with big groups.

We also my have to pay more for visits.

But if global recession hits the Bordelaise would be more welcoming
tim

Post by tim »

I might be moving back to France later this year. If so, I can certainly help out as my work situation is much better than last year.

Would love to get everyone back together again in France!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

We are likely to be in on the proviso that my body will allow it.
This would be the last chance for me due to health.
I’m having two ops in August and will need some rehab but hopefully will be fine soon.
Cheers
Mark
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just heard back from Camille Meyrou at SHL, they are looking forward to our return in 2023!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yeah, Mark; I also know how with medical problems and procedures can interfere with wine events. Hope all goes well. Thing is, when you get old, there are only two possibilities:
1. You have health problems.
2. You don't get any older.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

We should seize the moment

What I would suggest we do is basically use the 2020 schedule as a template - we had a pretty good line up then - and what we could do is contact each and every estate and say we were so bitterly disappointed that the terrible scourge of covid gave us no choice but to cancel at the last minute and that we would now like to make good on our previous arrangement and come and visit you. Because they all agreed. And it would be hard for them to say no. It might also save us quite a bit of spade work. We could even schedule the same time of year, i.e., late March.

What say ye?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You are reading my mind, Ian, I was thinking the same thing.
Let's take a look at this next week, I'm a little busy this week.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Sounds like a great idea, Jim and Ian. I'm in.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:49 pm We should seize the moment
In my schoolboy Latin days, we would say 'carpe diem' which can be translated as 'its not illegal if you don't get caught'
marcs

Post by marcs »

This sounds great!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

If the world hasn't gone to hell in a hand basket by then we'd be in for another Tour de France!
Danny
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

stefan wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:36 pm Yeah, Mark; I also know how with medical problems and procedures can interfere with wine events. Hope all goes well. Thing is, when you get old, there are only two possibilities:
1. You have health problems.
2. You don't get any older.
Stefan
Yeah I keep saying that the human body is a work in progress.
It needs to go back to the factory for a redesign as the existing version is a failure and a new improved version is badly needed.

I can put up with the pain (spinal cord compression and joint degeneration isn’t fun) but I sometimes get a fatigue syndrome that is even worse. Last time I was at the local hospital, I asked for a new skeletal system and digestive system as well, so they said they’d see what they can do….

At least my sense of irony is still there. My sister has the same spinal disease which is linked to a pair of chromosomes so maybe we both need a software upgrade. Maybe Google can help.

Cheers
Mark
stefan

Post by stefan »

At least some parts can be replaced, Mark. I'll get new eyes in the coming month and Lucie is on the agenda for new knees. Last time I saw my doc I asked for a brain transplant, but he said you can get than only by going to Oz (not your Oz, I assume).
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

Let's push it a little later than March this time if possible. Late April or early May? would likely work better like 05/15. Just a thought in planning.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Amen, by brother, you are reading my mind.
Let’s do April or early May 2023.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie and I are keeping our calendars cleared until the time of BWE-Bordeaux2023 is decided.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

stefan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:30 pm At least some parts can be replaced, Mark. I'll get new eyes in the coming month and Lucie is on the agenda for new knees. Last time I saw my doc I asked for a brain transplant, but he said you can get than only by going to Oz (not your Oz, I assume).
Yes I having bones in my arm and wrist replaced with synthetic models. The spine can’t be replaced. Initial job was disc replacement a stainless steel rod and screws. Wonderful thought. Recent imaging shows the spinal cord compression is too severe and the surgeons felt the operation as initially planned would be too risky. The AS is completely degenerating it all along with scoliosis, several collapsed discs and arthritis in most joints.

Goad to hear your eyes are fine and good luck with Lucile’s knees. Don’t know what the Oz analogy means.

Cheers
Mark
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
Don’t know what the Oz analogy means.
>>

The scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz went to the wizard to get a brain.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Probably would have been better to go to the Wizard of Oz to get some ShirOz.

=======

I'm sorry to hear of these troubles Claudius2. One of my prior colleagues had similar issues, and after somewhere between 10-20 operations, he went on medical retirement.
Last edited by AKR on Sun May 15, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Arv
Yeah the skeletal system isn’t easy to repair. Nor can I regrow the bits already removed.
Wish we could just upgrade the software to a new version.
Can’t find the right program!

Thanks for you comments.
Cheers
Mark
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

We've been mulling renting a place in France next year, in part to celebrate mrs vino's transition (not using the R word) from 20 years at her organization. It would be nice to join the group for some tastings.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Gail and I are not planning to go at this time.

In 2020, we were at (and in some cases a bit beyond) the capacity limits at many châteaux. We'll free up two spots for new folks, assuming that anyone who was in last time gets first dibs on slots in the new trip.
smoore4

Post by smoore4 »

I'm a definite maybe. We may be in France by then so who knows. Of course I would be very interested in a Bourgogne trip. No offense to the BWE but it is more indicative of France and generally more beautiful. But the wines in the photos are clearly superior, reds anyway.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Tom In DC wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:21 pm Gail and I are not planning to go at this time.

In 2020, we were at (and in some cases a bit beyond) the capacity limits at many châteaux. We'll free up two spots for new folks, assuming that anyone who was in last time gets first dibs on slots in the new trip.
Sad face.

Tom, after all the work and effort you put in 2019/20.

I hope it is like the shark hunter Jason Statham in the Meg who refused to engage with Megalodon but ended up engaging in the end and defeated the dinosaur shark.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2005 BWE trip actually spent a night in Bourgogne before heading to Bordeaux, Steve, but I don’t think that’s going to be in the cards if we do what I think is our plan, which is to try to mirror the trip we had to cancel in 2020…. That Bordeaux trip we had scheduled in 2020 was insanity plus, what a tragedy that we had to cancel at the last minute.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Might be possible for me in 2023. But like Tom, i am ok if people that never went want to go, to leave my spot. I'm plan to go to Italy in 2023, with MC and the kids...

But maybe i should change my mind, and do one last stand in Bordeaux with all of you? If i'm not going, who will ask the silly questions?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Oh, no, Tom. It will not be the same without you and Gail. Hope things develop and ya'll will be able to come after all.

Nic, you gotta come.