TN. 2018 Coudert Clos de la Roilette Tardive

JoelD

TN. 2018 Coudert Clos de la Roilette Tardive

Post by JoelD »

After hearing about this recently from Nicola and jckba, I found a few from a retailer/wholesaler I like and boy this did not disappoint. From a warmer vintage, but only at 13% alcohol. This was just lovely, dense, dark fruited but light on its feet. It only needed about 20-30 minutes in glass to come around. Great structure and clearly still on the young side but very approachable now. It's on the bigger/denser side for a fleurie, almost Morgon like in some ways. I really wish I had bought more than 3 as the rest sold out quickly. This is in contention for the best Beaujolais that I've had and also one of the best sub $30 reds that I have had in a long time. I highly recommend this. 93-94pts
6CB2A0FF-7DFF-40F2-BF57-6766F9BEF01D.jpeg
Nicklasss

Re: TN. 2018 Coudert Clos de la Roilette Tardive

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi Joel. Happy to read that as i also bought a few bottles, and have some left from the regular cuvée.

I don't know how they do that, but like wrote it is a dense wine, light on it's feet, complex, and with strong Gamay character. And i agree, at a very acceptable price. Clearly hit all the cases of a great wine.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Glad you enjoyed and I lined both 2018 and 2019 releases of the Fleurie and Cuvee Tardive up at my parents a year and a half ago and I decidedly preferred the 2019’s to the 2018’s. As far as where we stand vintage wise, 2020 has sold through chez Bowler (the NY metro area distributor) and the 2021’s should be arriving in the near future.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIL4jYeHFDn ... MyMTA2M2Y=
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Those 2019's certainly sound great. I'll have to try to acquire some. How do you think these wines will age? I wonder if they'll lose some of things I love about Bojo's on the younger side.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

For my part, it is the 2020 i have access.

I guess Crus du Beaujolais of that quality, can age for 7-10 years without problems.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Nicklasss wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:02 pm For my part, it is the 2020 i have access.

I guess Crus du Beaujolais of that quality, can age for 7-10 years without problems.
I'm quite sure this wine Can age. But my question is will it truly get better? Whereas I worry with this wine and many Beaujolais that they will lose a lot of the youthful freshness that makes me love them.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/fo ... e36701156/

Not all of them, but i guess the best ones can. And i would bet 2 dollars that this 2020 Clos de la Roilette (the regular, i did not taste the tardive yet) will be better with some age. Normally concentrated balanced wines age really well, and serious great Beaujolais improving for 7-10 years? Why not? Foillard Morgon Côte de Py probably a good example.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I did a tasting of Morgon Cote du Puy last month in 2018 and 2019 vintage from five producers. Mee Godard and Foillard were my cherry-picks. Two different styles. Excellent wines.

Next month it is special cuvees time like f.i.Corcelette and Passerelle 577 (Mee Godard) plus Fleurie from Foillard in 2018 and 2019 and 2018 Clos de la Roilette.

In the meantime, I just purchased some 2020 vintage from Mee Godard, Thivin and Foillard, 24 bottles. 2020 vintage in Beaujolais is maybe better than 2018 and 2019.

Among these 24 bottles, there are three bottles of each of Clos de la Roilette standard bottling and Clos de la Roilette Vendange tardive. I'm also interested in Griffe de Marquis from the same producer, which gets 6 months ageing in Burgundian oak. The producer, Coudert grows his Fleurie vines very close to Moulin-a-Vent borderline, which can explain more concentration compared with other Fleuries. Never tasted Fleurie wines from Coudert and Foillard.

I look forward to tasting these wines.🍷😋

These Beaujolais buys are instead of Bordeaux 2021 primeur buys, which I decided not to invest in.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Nicklasss wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:19 am https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/fo ... e36701156/

Not all of them, but i guess the best ones can. And i would bet 2 dollars that this 2020 Clos de la Roilette (the regular, i did not taste the tardive yet) will be better with some age. Normally concentrated balanced wines age really well, and serious great Beaujolais improving for 7-10 years? Why not? Foillard Morgon Côte de Py probably a good example.
+1
Moulin-a-Vent wines, followed by Cote de brouilly age better than a typical Beaujolais. Moulin a Vent bojo are denser, richer and a bit more tannic (probably because of manganese content in their soils) than a typical beaujolais, giving it a longer aging profile of 10+ years. If I am not mistaken, I think Coldert Roilette borders Moulin-a-Vent AOC and was once part of Moulin-a-Vent AOC until it got its own AOC.

Among Moulin-a-Vent producers, other than Chateau Moulin-a-vent (which has several crus), I love Domaine Diochon. It's a great qpr which sells around 20 to 25 bucks, and I recommend it...

With summertime approaching and with all the talk about Beaujolais, I think I will pull a split of 2019 Dom. Diochon VV Beaujolais and report back. Will check on the 2020 version of the same later this summer, and save the rest of my 2019s and 2020s for a bit of aging...
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Chateau Vin,

You repeat my words about the location of Coudert's vineyard...?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

greatbxfreak wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:44 pm Chateau Vin,

You repeat my words about the location of Coudert's vineyard...?
Hmmm... there could be other reasons why it came out that way... ;)

After reading Nicklass’s answer to Joel’s question, I started to type my response (that’s why I started with +1...). Then half way through, I got side tracked as I had to attend to some pressing issue. I came back later, finished my intended response and submitted.

Little did I know that you responded before I pressed the submit button. So, those were the chain of events...
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Chateau Vin,

It's Ok, no bad feelings. 😁