BWE West Coast Dinner Notes

AKR

BWE West Coast Dinner Notes

Post by AKR »

Last night BWE stalwart Cabfan summoned the extended cadre to his vineyard home for dinner and a tasting.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10042
The theme -- loosely -- was 1980's so everyone brought something broadly from that era. There was no requirement to dress thematically or get the hairspray out, but old school tunes were playing as everyone arrived. We gathered in this bucolic region, zoned for horses and vines, and I even saw a big mule deer under a tree on my drive up the winding road (no doubt plotting how to either gobble up a garden or headbutt an innocent SUV).

A number of the wines were served blind but only one was decanted; most were uncorked and allowed to 'slow ox'. The majority had been purchased a long time ago, even on release, but there were a few recent auction acquisitions. Everything seemed sound, except for an off bottle of the 86 Gruaud Larose. (I didn't taste it, so its not in the notes).

There was lots of food. We started with charcuterie, pate, prosciutto, foie gras and bread. Then dinner was lamb, roast vegetables and a green salad. A cheese course was next, and then we closed out with chocolate dipped strawberries. No one left hungry (or thirsty!).
Lots of great wines, especially from the 80s
Lots of great wines, especially from the 80s
As everyone arrived we started with a

88 Perrier Jouet Rose 'Fleur de Champagne' [Champagne] This was from a magnum, and if one wants to keep sparkling for the long haul, methode champenoise in large format will indeed keep better. When this was opened it gave a satisfying 'pop' and was sound and tasty. After having had a flat 1990 'Winston Churchill' a while ago, I knew when we heard hissing fireworks as it was uncorked, that all would be good with this rose!

61 Rivetto [Barolo] orange/citrus, smooth texture, most of the fruit has receded. unusually charming label.

45 Troplong Mondot [St Emilion] This was presented blind, and in a decanter. Tannic, drying, and clearly old, yet dark in color. I had guessed it was from the 40's but thought it was a Pomerol - there wasn't much basis for that guess though. Some scorched earth here. I thought it was pretty tired but others quite liked it. IIRC, during this era the owners of this and Ausone, Belair were all the same.
BWE West
BWE West

45 Pontet Clauzure [St Emilion]
Presented blind. The label was a little hard to read on this one, and was quite distinctive anyways. I have not heard of this property. It had some flesh, compared to the Troplong. But also some tuna can notes which can happen when scorched berries are used in the vinification. Some hollowness in the midpalate.

66 Beychevelle [St Julien] For my tastes, this showed very well. The vintage is reputed as a hard one, but this example was silky, smooth, polished and dense. The wines from here sometimes gets downmarks for not lasting as long as others from the commune, but this has developed admirably.

66 l'Evangile [Pomerol] Also very good, after its funky nose blew off. The color was a full bricking.
Last edited by AKR on Mon May 16, 2022 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKR

Re: BWE West Coast Dinner Notes

Post by AKR »

The host with the most
The host with the most
90 Trotanoy [Pomerol] Also served blind, but not decanted. I found this to be much more youthful, vibrant than the other blind bottles. It has lots of sweet fruit and is generally delicious. I think people must have loved it, since the bottle was drunk up quickly.

80 Heitz 'Marthas Vineyard' CS [Napa] This was served blind, and was pretty zippy/acidic. There is only a small marker on the label which denotes that the flagship cabernet is different from their other vineyard designates of that era - Trailside, Bella Oaks, etc. I have observed that Heitz wines can seem a bit 'thin' when compared to other peers in panel style tastings.
A full table
A full table
82 Pichon Baron [Pauillac] This is a bottle, that, despite the large production, isn't seen as much as it might be considering its classification and the vintage. I think most of the 82 Baron was drunk up young, while collectors went for the Pichon Lalande. This 82 is still very structured, and has some fruit left. I had a glass on the second day, and although fading, it remains quite good.

82 Talbot [St Julien] It remains awesome and is fully mature. There's not much more to say about this.

83 Montrose [St Estephe] I get some iodine, citrus, and ferrous notes on this. By this point I was starting to fall behind the rest of the group because of contemplative note taking, or general dawdling.
00 Canon [St Emilion] Rich lush, spicy, mature with some red berries. Upon further reflection and a glass a day later, there is still a lot of structure left.

86 Henriques & Henriques 'Bual' [Madeira] some maple flavors, quite tangy, even some hot alcohol

83 d'Yquem [Sauternes] Amber color, orange rind flavors, a very long finish.

Afterwards, we retired to CabFan's cellar where we saw some of his older treasures, while people dueled with his pinball machine. We even had a virtual appearance from our Quebecois Nicklass! It was a great time, and thanks to CabFan and his family for hosting/feeding everyone! Also, our hosts have about 1 acre of vineyard planted to chardonnay and merlot so everyone left with a gift wrapped bottle of single vineyard merlot. Professionals are handling the viticulture and vinification, on a mezzadria basis.

PS: I am not sure why but a number of pictures are refusing to be attached properly; I have put them in this album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bn8J8ZjtVr9NLFA9A
Last edited by AKR on Mon May 16, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Very nice report Arv, and made in an "artistic way" with the picture.

All i can say is : i'm jalous of the company, the 1990 Trotanoy and the Chateau Evans merlot (not made by Rolland i hope...).

1982 Talbot and 1983 Yquem, surely great stuff. And two 1945 and 1966 in one night, well done.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Thanks Arv. Nice to see so many familiar faces!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Arv,

Thanks for taking the time and putting up the review with photos in tow. Nice to see everyone still looking great and drinking well. Can you explain mezzadria basis??
Danny
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

dstgolf wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:12 pm Arv,

Thanks for taking the time and putting up the review with photos in tow. Nice to see everyone still looking great and drinking well. Can you explain mezzadria basis??
Arv can explain it better with more details...

But I think it’s the same as letting out farm land for someone else in exchange for part of the crop.

The thing is we used to do it. When we owned farm land back home, my dad was getting older and I moved to the US. So we used to let out the land for someone else to farm in exchange of part (usually half) of the crop. It’s called ‘kowlu’ in our language...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great post, AKR, thanks for the report.
The BWE West Coast contingent is looking lovely!
AKR

Post by AKR »

Chateau Vin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:20 pm
dstgolf wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:12 pm Arv,

Arv can explain it better with more details...

But I think it’s the same as letting out farm land for someone else in exchange for part of the crop.

The thing is we used to do it. When we owned farm land back home, my dad was getting older and I moved to the US. So we used to let out the land for someone else to farm in exchange of part (usually half) of the crop. It’s called ‘kowlu’ in our language...
Yes, it's an Italian form of share cropping, although in this situation the gentleman grower is getting the 'rent' in bottles. In this arrangement the landowner doesn't shed the risk of hail, wild boar infestations, etc. Their vigilant tuxedo tiger - Boo - is keeping the latter out though!
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Great notes and pics, Arv. Hard to tell but it sounds like the 80's bottles were your favorites of the night and the rest were quite fun and interesting to try? Did any wow you? Wotn?