Book Review: Grand Vins (Clive Coates, 1995)

AKR

Book Review: Grand Vins (Clive Coates, 1995)

Post by AKR »

Book Review:
Grand Vins: The Finest Chateaux of Bordeaux and their Wines
Written by Clive Coates, MW
1995 publication, 1st Edition, 813 pgs

This is an older reference book on a group of elite Bordeaux estates, selected by Coates using his own judgement. The author is a well known English wine writer, having penned a number of books, mostly on the collectible French regions, while also writing for his own The Vine, Journal of Fine Wine, as well as other periodicals. He has been involved in the industry for a long time, including as a merchant. At this point I'm unsure whether he is better known for his Burgundy commentary as he lives there now. I should make the point that although there are plenty of tasting notes in this tome, I don't particularly get much from them. Frankly, they are hard to interpret and unless one has been conditioned to his preferences many descriptors seem impenetrable, e.g. Stylish, Not Short, Fine Plus Again, Very Good Though, and so on. But Coates has done conducted extensive primary research, and he writes about the topic in an engaging style, so enthusiasts would be well served keeping a copy on the shelf, even if it might be only referred to rarely.

The preface/introduction run 25+ pages and cover a brief history of the region, varietals, the annual vineyard cycle, and some aspects of wine making. There is ongoing discussion of classification and prices of wines (as a proxy for quality) well before the better known 1855 rankings. Older Cocks & Feret as well as other reference points like Tastet & Lawton are used for that. I suppose that is how the author can occasionally note that estates are finally living up to the breed/reputation they might have held in prior eras.

At this point the book segues into sections on the major communes, beginning with an overview of the geography and the style of the wines, and then individual pages on his favorite properties. The latter usually are a few pages but some high profile properties may be up to a dozen, e.g. Lafite Rothschild. The estate overviews typically start with a summary, then a very early history (as in the 1300's to 1600's time frame) then paragraphs on ownership stages, as well as the vagaries on that. It seems family infighting and inheritance squabbles are a recurring theme across the centuries, leading to estates changing hands. Then there can be discussion of the current vineyards (as of 1995) along with changes, then the physical winery site with some particular attention to the architecture, and then lastly overviews on the wine with notes from a contemporaneous vertical if possible. Coates tends to report when the verticals were conducted, and give credit to famous collectors who organized them (Bipin Desai, Marvin Overton, Jack & Thelma Hewitt, etc.) and when tasting notes were included later (not from the vertical) that is noted as well. Unusually, especially with the very older wines, when bottles were negociant/shipper bottled that is discussed as well, and some famous wines from the 40's and 50's have examples where same vintage / different bottlers are contrasted. Given that off estate bottling has not been allowed for close to a half century it's not germane for modern, mainstream enthusiasts, but it's interesting nevertheless.

For those who care about why there are so many estates with similar sounding names, but different tasting wines, Coates has researched the family histories, as well as the land transactions. It can be fascinating but it's also really only of interest to the most obsessive. Today's consumer probably cares less about why/how Clos Haut Peyraguey came about (from Lafaurie Peyraguey) than whether its making a better Sauternes or not.

The book is now quite dated, so due to natural attrition and cycles, a handful of the estates covered are either now defunct as dedicated brands, or have been merged away. Still, their wines can still be found in deep cellars, or the auction circuit, so some information on them is helpful. Wine markets are so richly valued -- and efficient now -- that I don't think there is a huge edge though in learning about ancient l'Arrosee or similar, however. A couple of decades ago, it felt different.

In total there are 550 pages covering the specific estates, but of that total I'd note that Pomerol gets 65 and Sauternes/Barsac merits 70, which might be high given American collectors cellars holdings. Personally, I loved that focus and attention on favorite areas but could understand why some BWE's might look at the list and be puzzled. And again, not everyone would agree on the highlighted names -- l'Enclos is included in the Pomerol section while La Grave a Pomerol (or Trigant) is excluded despite sister/similar properties like Latour a Pomerol or Trotanoy are included.

At this point, the vintage assessments begin, which cover 1947 to 1993 for the dry reds, a little less for the sweet wines. The white Graves are only covered for the 1980's era, and Coates has a lot of constructive criticism for producers there regarding sulfur, cepage, styles etc. In the vintage horizontal notes, scores are included (which were NOT in the property specific verticals) and one has to read closely to realize that these were different conducted separately. Coates has vast experience tasting the wines of Bordeaux, so sometimes there are throwaway lines, like 'I have not come across the 75 Le Gay since a half dozen examples 20 years ago' and its not gratuitous bragging. This is his trade, and he's been involved in it for 60+ years, well before it was fashionable. Reading the book today does take a little adjustment, given how long ago it was written.

This is a tome, at 800 pages, and despite my affection for Bordeaux, I had purchased this book back in 2016 (secondhand on Amazon for $4.35) ... and only finished it this week. True, the book is well suited for slow consumption, perhaps with a goblet of a profiled estate in hand, but it does take a long time to cut through.

Overall: I enjoyed Grand Vins (slowly!) and will be gathering up more of Coate's books. I disposed of hundreds of books the last few weeks -- some owned since my undergraduate days -- so I don't feel guilty buying more books that take will take some years before I eventually read. It's recommended to BWE who truly get satisfaction from the backstory of a vineyard/family when drinking a glass of Bordeaux. Used copies can be had for $7+ shipped. For those who care about whether a recent release is plummy vs. raspberry, they will be disappointed.

Thanks for making it to the end!

https://www.amazon.com/Grands-Vins-Fine ... 520202201 NOT an affiliate link. Xposted at WB too.
Racer Chris

Re: Book Review: Grand Vins (Clive Coates, 1995)

Post by Racer Chris »

Thanks for the review. I have a copy in my bookcase which I read thru the first half or so a couple years ago, and use now occasionally as a reference. Although he doesn't cover a good many of the estates I purchase from.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Good review, Arv. I would have said what you said in fewer words: "Nice to read for the history; worthless if you want tasting notes". ;)
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Arv
I bought this book some years ago in Australia but on release at a much higher price.
I like Coates’ writing style even if at times he can meander into pomposity and self-indulgence. He does have a good palate and I have read the historical data and other details.

I found his palate to be quite useful in that I tend to like similar styles. However there are a few wines which I have enjoyed which Coates did not, for example, 1989 Talbot which he gave 10 points out of 20 and described as a complete disaster.

He gives ratings and descriptors (fine, very good etc) which I find to be more meaningful than a 100 point scale.

Is there a more recent version of this book? Is so I’d be tempted to buy it. The main source I regularly use is Hugh Johnson’s pocket wine guide. I’ve largely given up on other books.

Cheers
Mark

PS - I checked and the 1995 edition is the only one though his Burgundy book was revised along with a few others in 2004/05.
AKR

Post by AKR »

My understanding is that he semi retired some ten+ years ago and has not been updating prior books.

I'm not sure the Bordeaux related books need to be updated though; the value is mostly in the history rather than specific wine commentary.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Very nice review, Arv.

I found the book useful for a decade or so after it was written. The château profiles are solid as you note. Clive’s TNs are in the British model where descriptions of structure are more prominent than the fruit salad/flower shop adjectives so beloved by the Americans. Moreover, he didn’t rate everything 18+ to 20 out of 20 since he wrote in the pre- grade inflation era before all the children were above average.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Arv,

Coates is one of the leading British wine writers of one generation back.

I've met the man. He is very self-satisfied and I was a bit put off when I saw him smoke a cigarette while drinking a glass of Champagne before dinner at a famous château.

The format of his book, like many others, makes it quickly obsolete, which is as pity.
By that I mean thatthe tasting notes from twenty or thirty years ago are of little relevance to all but a tiny number of people.
These take up too large a part of the book.

Coates is generally acknowledged to be more qualified with Burgundy rather than Bordeaux.

What I do very much like about Coates is this categorizing wines as "good", "very good", "exceptional" etc.
In other words, I am very conflicted about assigning percentage points to wine, although I can see that this has its advantages as well...

There is always room for new wine writers, and I stress the word *writer*. Critics often rub me up the wrong way, seeming manipulated and unable to distance themselves from any number of factors.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Alex
I agree with the rating system, and the one I use myself is arguably based on his.
I don't follow it entirely, and avoid terms like "fine" as I really don't know what they mean.
He was born in 1941 thus now in his early 80's writes very little.
tim

Post by tim »

This is my go-to book for older vintages. Ignoring the ratings, just the conditions on the ground and the top chateaux gives a good view into what is likely better-than-average and what is subpar.