2014 Domaine de Chevalier

Nicklasss

2014 Domaine de Chevalier

Post by Nicklasss »

Maybe, did i should not open tonight? Maybe, de Chevalier is modern and finally in the darkness? Maybe 2014 is not that much an interesting vintage? surely these three statements are lies.

I opened the 2014 Domaine de Chevalier, inspired by JimS experience with the 2014 Meyney, and JimH super positive view of the vintage, and because the 2 first bottles a few mouth ago was cranky good.

Dark red color, nose is all about Graves, with those smoky blackcurrants, minerals, concentrated red berries, light black olives, and some austere oak notes, red licorice, and cherries. Medium tone nose, but well defined. Mouth is strict, straight, with a good core of dark berries, severe soil mineral flavors, bitter cherries and again that severe oak tones. Strong tannins, and bitter very blackberries on the medium austere final. Is that wine finaly shutting down? Or not and it is just very masculine and traditional? Anyway, was a great match for the "Boston cut steak" on the gas bbq. 2 Previous bottles were a bit more "friendly", but that one tonight is still very drinkable, in a austere Graves style. Tn: 90.
Attachments
A strict and no glossy traditionnal character tonight. Remind me a young Magdelaine.
A strict and no glossy traditionnal character tonight. Remind me a young Magdelaine.
Nicklasss

Re: 2014 Domaine de Chevalier

Post by Nicklasss »

Some cigar aromas now on. With still nice blackcurrants. More fruit in mouth showing in. Nice. Maybe an extra point!
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nice note Nic and thanks for the check-in as I have a case sleeping.
William P

Post by William P »

Thanks for the note Nic. I drank one a few months ago and I agree with your assessment. I think it is closed for business and for more than few years. It should be a nice wine when it awakens from it's slumber.

Bill
JimS

Post by JimS »

This is one that really seems to be moving in the right direction. Nice note, Nic. I very much so concur…think there is definite upside in several years. Have you tried any of the more recent vintages in the name of experimentation? A recent blurb by William Kelley has me pretty excited about the direction of DDC.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi JimS.

I have some 2016 and 2018 in the cellar, but did not tried any.

In the past, i tried the 2015 and thought it was quite solid too, among the Pessac Léognan. I guess the best Left Bank areas in 2015 were Margaux and Pessac Léognan.