Rousseau Chambertin or Chambertin Clos-de-Bèze
No votes
Other (precise which one below)
22%

Total votes: 18
Nicklasss

Haaaaa, Bourgogne wine

Post by Nicklasss »

Inspired by the OTT lunch of Musigny... An old uncle i did not know just went to the Great Tasting Room in the Sky, and left me a million dollars inheritance and... (dreaming...)
Last edited by Nicklasss on Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Re: Haaaaa, Bourgogne wine

Post by Nicklasss »

Of course, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses from Roumier, and not Chabolle.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I went with other and here is my rational. I don’t really chase the trophy wines per se and when a wine reaches a particular price threshold, I tend to look for alternatives. So if I had a rich uncle that died and I inherited a boatload of $$$, I would likely buy more wines with age that are ready to drink but would not really look to buy the types of wines that graced the table at Mark’s OTT lunch (though I might still have a couple of loose bottles that would qualify).
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I would buy GC Chablis, can't specify though because I don't know the best producers.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I'd probably go with Mugnier, but the Roumier is pretty good too so I voted for that.

SF Ed
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Even me, i'm asking the question, but did not voted yet. It is a very tough question, especially that the greatest white wines are something more special than red wines.

Hum, hard to choose.
jal

Post by jal »

Leflaive Montrachet
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I voted other, but maybe should have voted DRC.

Lots of different ways to interpret this question. I’ll answer as if the uncle’s will stated I had to spend the entire million on high end Burgundy or give up the inheritance.

Not having had any of the wines on that list, I have no real basis for an opinion other than reputation. I’d spread the money around, buy some of each, and get educated in high end Burgundy. That would probably honor my uncle’s wishes.

If dear old uncle perversely stipulated that I had to spend it all on one wine, as the poll suggests, I guess I’d pick La Tache because its siren song has been calling me the longest. Ever since experiencing a mesmerizing DRC Ech decades ago and hearing from the old timers at that tasting how if I liked that, boy would I be blown away by La Tache. I’d drink some and sell the rest to finance purchase of the others on the list.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nick I voted ‘other’ - Henri Jayer - which would either be his Richebourg or his Vosne Romanee 1er Cru Cros Parantoux - but a million dollars may not be enough
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I have finally voted for Coche-Dury.

If i would go for red, it would be one of the two Musigny.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

I bought 1 bottle of Drouhin Musigny (and 1 of Mugnier some years back) and several bottles of PYCM Corton Charlemagne stacked away. Sorry guys, can't afford the expensive stuff...went proletarian...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I went with La Tache / RC.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

On the same page with Jim and going with La Tache. Years back for my 50th I went looking for one and couldn't believe the price at the LCBO so I never pulled the trigger and have regretted it since. Can't even remember what I bought/drank for the occasion but I'm sure good or bad the La Tache would have been etched in the memory banks which are slowly starting to fail!
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I did not voted for La Tâche, but i would surely be happy to enjoy one with you Danny.

JeanFred and me are always trying to get some from the SAQ, but never been lucky...i'll let you know if that change.
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

As Jim and Danny, I voted for La Tâche!

One day Nic, we should be lucky and get the chance to buy one.

JeanFred
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

One day, around 2002, I bought a 1988 Romanee Conti La Tache, my young friends, on the streets of New York City, from a suspicious fellow who went by the moniker "Whuzzup__." I paid him $300 in three crisp Benjamins, on a chilly Manhattan afternoon, shortly before I was to meet a couple of suspicious characters known only as "AKR" and "Jal." I will tell you the complicated story of that bottle someday.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Hmmm....

I've never had Romanee-Conti or the DRC Montrachet..

I've had Coche but not the CC, great, great wines...

Ramonet remains a true love...

I've had enough Leroy reds to know they can be magnificent but they just don't scratch my back like DRC...

The Domaine d'Auvernay whites are amazing...

Roumier and Rousseau are both great...just great...

But...the most memorable, amazing, mind altering (Who knew!!!???) wines I've ever had from Burgundy have all come from Leflaive. And I've never had their Montrachet...

QED
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Like a few others I picked DRC La Tache or Romanee Conti but I’d be happy with any of these wines assuming that someone else is paying. If I’m paying well I’m happy drinking 1ers Crus and better village wines from producers who give good value as well as a memorable experience. Having said that I have given up on trophy wines irrespective of the region.

Cheers
Mark
stefan

Post by stefan »

I never tasted Romanee Conti. La Tache is great of course, but it has not moved me the way Musigny has, so I went with Roumier Musigny. I never drank a Leroy wine that I thought was worth 1/3 of its price (which I would not say about DRC wines)--for me, Roumier Musigy was a clear choice over Leroy Musigny.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

We had the pleasure of sharing a 2003 DRC Montrachet at Tim's 50th celebration in France 2018 if I recall and it was pretty solid. If La Tache or RC are a step up I like to have the experience. Coche Dury and Ramonet I've been fortunate to share and very good but I like stunning when you pay that much for a bottle. The others on the list I haven't any experience but always interested in sharing gem for gem.
Danny