Dinner with Jay and Peggy in London

Comte Flaneur

Dinner with Jay and Peggy in London

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Good to see Jay again and meet Peggy, for a lovely dinner at Noize restaurant and chat about all sorts of things with the top two topics being BWE and US politics. Question which is the most politically effed up country? Is it (a) the United States, or (b), the United Kingdom or (c), all of the above? The answer is of course (c), all of the above. Peggy suggested and Jay and I agreed that the downstairs space at Noize would be ideal for a BWE convention…

8C74FB9A-2BE1-4D83-9A7E-508B4F5B2B44.jpeg
Jay coincidentally pinged me on the 2009 Marcoux Chateauneuf Vieilles Vignes being available for a good price in England about the time as when I was tasting the otherworldly 1990 in the same room last Friday. So I acted on his tip off and took deIivery in time so that one of the wine choices took care of itself. That instead of a left bank because I had the bottle of Cheval Blanc standing up and I heard on the grapevine that Peggy likes champagne/sparkling wine. So that got me thinking.

When I plonked the Cheval Blanc on the table the expression of relief on Jay’s face was palpable as I explained how the bottle of Mouton Cadet had gone awol. Coincidentally I had just taken delivery of some English sparkling wines so I decided to take a huge risk with one of them and serve it blind.

My chutzpah paid off as this expressive and joyful sparkling wine immediately sang from the glass with apple and citrus nose, good richness but an overall impression of being lithe and light on its feet. The 2018 Gusburne Brut Reserve from Kent in England. I am tempted to buy some more…

The 1999 Cheval Blanc is a very grown up wine and slipped down rather well as we chatted. It is certainly not a shouty or showy wine. Ostensibly it is soft and inviting with cashmere lushness but there is plenty depth of dark fruit and structure there with licorice, tobacco, black tea and other complex nuances from the cab franc. My guess is that it is not quite at its apogee yet.

The 2009 Marcoux is a long way from its peak - probably a decade - and is rich, brooding and blue fruited now. These need to be cellared. The 15% alcohol is not particularly obtrusive, but I am not sure it will ever reach the heights of the 1990 we had last week. However on Jay’s recommendation I might track down some of the regular Cuvee.

We restricted ourselves to three bottles because J&P had a very early start in the morning as they set off for Athens, but there was time a digestive at the end.

1FB1AD74-6D7B-45B4-9264-C9701FD7C60D.jpeg
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: Dinner with Jay and Peggy in London

Post by JimHow »

Well done. Very well done indeed. Long live BWE.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Well done. Jay and Peggy are a great couple to handle with. MC enjoy Mrs Vino company a lot.

How many BWEers will past through London in 2022? I guess it is our turn next? I can't hide anything anymore, as MC spoiled everything's on Facebook...

I know Decanter magazine crew seems to have a soft spot for UK bubbly.

Good choice for the two red wines, but if both weren't fully ready, seem that you had a great time/company anyhow.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I have the bottle of Cotes Du Rhone standing up ready for your arrival in London Nic
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nicely done.
Comte Flaneur wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:02 pm I have the bottle of Cotes Du Rhone standing up ready for your arrival in London Nic
And hopefully some Fonsalette is in the cards.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks Comte, i hope it is a 2002. To match, i'll have a 1974 Croizet-Bages and the illustrious 1993 Batailley.

And jckba, i thought exactly the same thing: Fonsalette is a simple Côte du Rhône.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jckba

Post by jckba »

And more specifically, perhaps the illustrious Cuvee Syrah ;)
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I'm hopeful that I'll be in London next spring. If so, a dinner with Ian (and any other BWEers) will definitely be in order!

SF Ed
stefan

Post by stefan »

Congratulations! Sounds like you had a great time with J&P.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Greetings from Athens as we enjoy breakfast before a day of touring. As always, it was delightful to see the Comte. While that Mouton Cadet was sorely missed, the lovely Cheval Blanc was a wonderful substitute. I enjoyed the British sparkler. They're certainly making some wonderful sparkling wines though still not champagne level yet but closing in due to climate change I think. I agree with Ian on the cheval Blanc. Lovely now but still some room to grow. I breathed a big sigh of relief as he enjoyed the 2009 Marcoux old vines that I enabled him into purchasing. A BWE tradition.. It needs more time but was delightful. I think a London convention would be a splendid idea. It's been a few years since we've visited and it was a thoroughly enjoyable stay. We benefited from the delightful weather and I had a lovely walk through Regents Park. Thanks again Ian!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Was hoping to be able to join Nicola out there this week but the schedule does not permit. Have fun Nicola!
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

London sure seems like a BWE hot spot these days!

I've had a few English bubblies - they seem to be on the opposite side from most California sparklers relative to Champagne. More acidity and verve, less fruit and body. I've enjoyed the ones I've tried, but they been genetically selected by the fact that they were imported to the US.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Another great time in London hosted by Ian. Nice to see everyone had a good time but I don't understand the discipline of a 3 bottle night for three people? Very untraditional-BWE night.
Danny
jal

Post by jal »

Great time and dinner. Ian, you are quite the master host to travelling BWE'ers.
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

dstgolf wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:25 am Another great time in London hosted by Ian. Nice to see everyone had a good time but I don't understand the discipline of a 3 bottle night for three people? Very untraditional-BWE night.
Weak effort I know Danny but our excuse was that J&P had to rise at 5am the next day to catch the early flight to Athens and I had to be compos mentis to present at 8am the morning.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jal wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:01 am Great time and dinner. Ian, you are quite the master host to travelling BWE'ers.
Any chance that you might be swinging by London Jacques?
jal

Post by jal »

Maybe in the fall, Ian. We're now in Paris till Wednesday morning. Then Israel before heading back to the US mid July
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I'll be in London with the whole family from June 30th to July 7th.

Should have enough time for 2-3 pints of cleansing ale.
Hm$(still)

Post by Hm$(still) »

They are coming to Dallas in September and having dinner with Lisa and me. You are setting the bar very high, Ian.

Hm$
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The Wintons have made the pilgrimage to Maine, depleting significantly the state’s lobster roll inventory in one weekend.

Another BWEer will be traveling to BWE Mecca in August.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I’ll be in London in august probably with my kid, but we might be focused on kid-related activities…
marcs

Post by marcs »

Speaking of the kid (9 years old) he asked me the other day why I was so obsessed with wine. I explained and he listened politely and then responded with…”so it’s like Pokémon for grown ups then?”
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jal wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:27 pm Maybe in the fall, Ian. We're now in Paris till Wednesday morning. Then Israel before heading back to the US mid July
Keep me posted Jacques it would be good to see you and Jill in London Town
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

marcs wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:18 pm I’ll be in London in august probably with my kid, but we might be focused on kid-related activities…
I am sure you could squeeze in a cheeky glass or two Marcus. Let me know your arrangements.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

dstgolf wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:25 am Another great time in London hosted by Ian. Nice to see everyone had a good time but I don't understand the discipline of a 3 bottle night for three people? Very untraditional-BWE night.
The discipline of a 5:00 a.m. awakening., Danny lol. Greetings from The island of Naxos. I would call this the original farm to table as they produce most of the food you eat. Greece is a wonderful place and with the power of the dollar right now, very reasonable.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Here is a picture from our terrace.
Attachments
IMG_20220627_164554_01.jpg
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Looks a lot like Australia to me, lol.
jal

Post by jal »

Racer Chris wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:58 am Looks a lot like Australia to me, lol.

:lol: :lol:
Best

Jacques