Margaux Mini-Vertical

s*d*r

Margaux Mini-Vertical

Post by s*d*r »

CHÂTEAU MARGAUX MINI-VERTICAL - Eddy V’s, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (6/21/2022)

The local wine group decided to get together to sample a few vintages of Château Margaux with some age on them. We included examples back to 1981, probably the oldest vintage that could show well, based on prior unhappy experiences with ones from the seventies, sixties and fifties. Unfortunately the host, who was to bring the 1986, was quarantined by the Omicron monster.

A mature Chablis was the perfect palate cleanser to accompany the tasty seafood appetizers.
  • 2002 Verget Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Peter R.’s bottle. Astoundingly fresh at age 20 and thrillingly devoid of oxidation. Medium yellow. A touch of oyster shell but not really austere. Light-medium weight, slightly soft. Delightful. With a bit more acidity it would gain even more in freshness. No end in sight for this Premier Cru. (92 pts.)
  • 1981 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Hugh’s bottle. He wisely decided to select it as our introduction to the Margaux mini-vertical. It performs exactly as you would expect, a softer, gentler, less concentrated Margaux. Perhaps surprisingly, there is absolutely no sign of fatigue on the palate and no brown or amber in the color. Soft tannins, good acidity, modest length. A mini-Margaux indeed and nothing out of place. (90 pts.)
  • 2000 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Hugh’s bottle. This is coming along nicely as was easy to predict even when in its infancy. Very juicy, fruity, bright and exuberant. The oak has settled down somewhat so it’s a bit less glossy. Tannins are rounded, acidity is fine. Pretty fragrance. No harm in drinking now and easily the group favorite this night. Could peak in just 3-5 more years and probably will drink best for a decade, but not decades, beyond. (92 pts.)
  • 1988 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Gary’s bottle. I was pleasantly surprised by the showing of this unheralded vintage of Margaux. Very deep color, even darker than the ‘00. The bouquet is quite distinctive, featuring a lot more charcoal and tar than usual layered above the dense black current fruit. As it sat in the glass, it unfolded and relaxed so the firm tannins became more approachable. There’s a lot of life here and it seemed the most youthful of the examples from the eighties on this night. Not a crowd favorite but to me the most intriguing wine of the night. (92 pts.)
  • 1990 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Quite lovely and my Wine of the Night of the mini-vertical of Margaux - but I was the only one to select it as such. Medium garnet color, considerably lighter than the ‘88 and about the same as the ‘82. Nicely fragrant. Noteworthy balance. Integrated tannins. Framed more by the acidity than the tannins. A suave middleweight and no evidence of the torrid summer. Clearly fully mature and no reason to age any further. (93 pts.)
  • 1983 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Peter R.’s bottle. Obviously corked immediately to everyone else but it took me a couple of sips to agree. NR (flawed)
  • 1982 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    A nice example of the famously variable ‘82 Margaux yet somehow it doesn’t thrill. The fruit is slightly muddy and the typical Margaux fragrance is in there but lacks freshness. The tannins are not coarse but far from silky. Not tired exactly but other bottles are better. Perhaps storage prior to my acquisition is the culprit. (92 pts.)
I had previously had a prejudice that Margaux, even if wonderful at best, was the most irregular of the First Growths. I was pleased to discover how consistent it can be, at least in this era. Most of the included wines were made by the late Paul Pontaillier, whose brilliance was on display. I wonder if more modern vintages will last as well as these did.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
stefan

Re: Margaux Mini-Vertical

Post by stefan »

Nice tasting, but it is shame the 1983 was corked. When on, 1983 is one of the best Margaux IMO.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I wonder when was/is the golden period of Chateau Margaux? I have a ‘96 that I’m holding for a special occasion, plus those ten ‘14s I bought a couple months ago.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks Stu for the notes. Nobody could accuse you of indulging in grade inflation!

Jim the golden era for Chateau Margaux has basically been since 1978 when Corinne Mentzelopoulos took over the estate. The estate had a patchy run in the 60s and 70s, but you can find some good bottles from that era, like the 1971 we enjoyed last November, see link below.

For me it is #2 in the FG pecking order after Lafite.

If I had to pick three top wines it would be the 1983 - which was wotn at our November 2021 Ch Margaux dinner - the 1996 - which was slightly below par that night - and the 2010 which was not in the line up.

https://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com ... aux#p99061
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Quick correction. Andre Mentzelpoulos bought the estate in 1978 and died in 1980, when his daughter, Corinne took over.

Agree the 1983 Margaux is a superb wine, and on song, my favorite. Just bought a few bottles from what looks like a great cellar, and looking forward to opening one.

My pecking order is Latour at the top, followed by Lafite. All the rest bunched up behind those two.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Are the first growths doing anything special/different/better with corks now to address potential taint issues?

It seems like it would really hurt the brand, and the consumer, when a year like 1983 is off given the patience invested.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I had dinner with Timmy in Paris once, he brought a 1983 Mouton… corked.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Andre bought in 1977.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

My current favorite mature vintage of Margaux is 1983.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.