Magdelaine dinner to benefit World Central Kitchen. September 9th.

Musigny 151

Magdelaine dinner to benefit World Central Kitchen. September 9th.

Post by Musigny 151 »

Most of you know about my passion for VCC. However I also have another love, the wines of the now defunct Chateau Magdelaine. For those not familiar with it, Magdelaine was a small chateau in Saint Emilion, and produced some of the great old fashioned wines from that appellation. They were understated and elegant, but also possess an amazing amount of substance and concentration. And it has managed to stay under the radar. Sadly, I wrote in the past tense, as 2011 was the last vintage of Magdelaine. The owners, the Moueix family, incorporated it with another Saint Emilion estate, Belair, to create Belair Monange. I can’t say I love the wine, but I will add a couple to the tasting, to see if anybody sees a real improvement.

Over the last few years, I have bought a lot of Magdelaine, and feel it is time to put some to good use, and do a tasting of the wines as a benefit Jose Andres World Central Kitchen. While a lot of money was given to them at the beginning of the invasion, apparently donations have dropped off, so the need is even more pressing.

I plan to do a dozen vintages from 1970 to the final one, 2011. If can get enough people (say 14) it will be a Friday, and I am looking at September 9th. Yesterday, Nancy and I went to check a steakhouse in Irvington NY, Hudson Prime. Food was delicious, and as this will be early, I think they will close off the back room, to effectively give us a private space. Given that I have serious health concerns, I do have to make it a condition that you are vaccinated.

Not sure if this is appealing enough to entice you to come to Westchester, but if it is, I am figuring a minimum donation of $375 plus the cost of the meal.
Nicklasss

Re: Magdelaine dinner to benefit World Central Kitchen. September 9th.

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi musigny. Don't think i can attend, but you surely deserve all my gratitude for that nice idea.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Appreciate the interest, thank you
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Orl Bobby and I had the '82 last year...was a tour de force ,very ready, very classic, very complex

Sounds like a wonderful event
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I would love to join Mark but it coincides with a European Central Bank meeting which I can’t miss.

I am hoping to do my own Magdelaine dinner here in London for prostate cancer. I have wines lined up from 1976 to 2017.