2018 Haut-Bages Liberal.

William P

2018 Haut-Bages Liberal.

Post by William P »

I'm not a fan of the 2018s. It was a hot weather vintage and a little ripe for my tastes. Having said that, the ones I've had are well made, just a little over ripe. Which brings me to the 2018 Haut-Bages Liberal. I saw it at the big box store for $40 and thought I'd give it a try.

I am not very familiar with the HBL. I know it's a Fifth Growth and from Pauillac. The 2018 is 80% Cab and 20% merlot.

The bottle was opened and poured. The nose begins with cedar/cigar box/pencil shavings, then moves into the black berry family, and earthy phase.

Structurally, for 2018 this is a medium bodied wine. Sufficient acid for good balance. Tannins have been described by Neal Martin as chalky, I would describe them as powdery. Certainly the tannins are not aggressive. It does finish with an ever so mild drying sensation. Given the lush fruit, that is not distracting. HBL will not be a 20 year wine but there is room for improvement over the next five plus year.

The HBL was very approachable. Medium bodied especially given the vintage. Taste wise, rich blackberry, pit fruit, then a hint of wood/cedar.

The wine exhibits characteristics of Pauillac and very satisfying. At $40.00 a bottle, it definitely is a great QPR. This is a solid choice. I say 92 maybe slightly higher score with a few years of aging. I will buy this again.
Last edited by William P on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AKR

Re: 2018 Haut-Bages Liberal.

Post by AKR »

Pappadoc poured us some of their 1982 and 1986 a lifetime ago, but I don't think I've had recent examples. I have a 2008 on the 'drink soon' rack though!

I do like their newer labels though; they feel very classical to me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m not sure I’d ever had an HBL until I tried the 2014, was struck by its classic Pauillac traits, and bought another half dozen or so.
William P

Post by William P »

I had last 1/3 of a bottle last night and it tightened up and showed its tannic backbone. This is a wine of substance. I may have underestimated it aging potential. I think I'll return for a few more bottles. BTW the price was $40. Still it is a great value wine IMO.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

$50 at Saratoga Wine Exchange right now.
I see on Cellartracker that MickleThePickle gave it a 92 a couple days ago along with a hearty endorsement.
My impression was that HBL was a perennial underperformer, so I haven't bought any to date.
But maybe there's been a revival at the chateau recently.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I received my 2019 en primeur purchases yesterday and spent the rest of the day repacking one of the storage holds. The delivery included 6 HBL and I have bought this wine regularly since 2005. I agree it punches above its weight and is a good buy.

I wonder what the alc level is for the 2018? The 2019 was 14% and my view is that such a level is pushing the friendship.

I ordered 5 St Emilions, two Pessacs, four Margaux, three St Juliens and one Pauillac (HBL only) and no Pomerols or St Estephe, the latter partly as Johnny Depp had bid up Calon Segur….

Anyway my point is that ABV was 13,5% to 14.5% and the alc was lowest in the Margaux wines and St Julien, and highest in St Emilion - all the cast Emilions had 14.5% which worries me.

I didn’t buy any EP 2018s and haven’t liked the few petits Chateaux wines I’ve tried.

Cheers
Mark
William P

Post by William P »

Claudius2 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:17 pm I wonder what the alc level is for the 2018?
14.5%
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

William
I haven’t tried the wine but 14,5% in a Pauillac scares me.
The 2019 tastings showed that whilst most wines were not overtly alcoholic, a few right bank wines weighing in at 14;5% were a touch hot, though still drinkable. However I’ve found high alc wine from just about everywhere to age less well than those at say, 13 or 13,5%. My view of top Cabernet based wine is a little fixed - I look for balance, freshness and cool, long fruit characters.

Cheers
Mark
William P

Post by William P »

Claudius, I agree, I also prefer alcohol levels below 14% but in this case, I thought this wine handle it well. I did not find it hot.
AKR

Post by AKR »

JimHow wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:36 pm I’m not sure I’d ever had an HBL until I tried the 2014, was struck by its classic Pauillac traits, and bought another half dozen or so.
I think Pappa poured one for both of us at a Chinese place, maybe 15+ years ago. It was one of the few times I've ever had one.

This was the place that always had the outstanding salt & pepper scallops.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Never have tasted HBL...may have to grab one from Total S'wine.