Need to sell - Full cases?

Michael-P

Need to sell - Full cases?

Post by Michael-P »

Need to sell some wine and wondered if folks think there's much premium between a full case (OWC) vs just 6 bottles of the same wine. With only 6 bottles I then don't need to sell all of a certain wine if I only have one case.

Michael-P
JCNorthway

Re: Need to sell - Full cases?

Post by JCNorthway »

Michael, I can't tell you how much of a premium there is for full OWC cases, but there definitely is a premium based on my observations of auction prices.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Consignment is usually a good option as you usually get to set the price and if you are on the West Coast like I seem to recall, you could give Benchmark a ring as I think they take a 20% commission.
AKR

Post by AKR »

My hunch - without looking at any data - would be that the higher the price, the more an 'OWC Premium' might exist.

========

I hope you are able to contain this problem.

As I have explained to my better half, when wine bottles are left alone - unattended & unfondled - they breed at night like the 'Trouble with Tribbles' which is how cellar rack slots keep on getting filled up.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

There can be a small premium at auction. Generally not when selling retail in my experience as that OWC gets broken down and sold individually anyways. As stated it above, with the very blue chip wines it might command more of a premium but lately it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I wouldn't touch 20% commission right now personally. Lower rates can be found, depending what you're selling.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Thanks for the input. It will be sad to see them go.