2005 d'Issan on the back deck after a long week, and other ramblings.

JimHow

2005 d'Issan on the back deck after a long week, and other ramblings.

Post by JimHow »

What a gorgeous late July night.
Quiet, 79 degrees, not humid.
Absolutely silent back here.
The 2005 d'Issan has been open for about 45 minutes, it was weird and shut tight at the outset but now it is blossoming beautifully.
Attachments
IMG_1550.jpg
JimHow

Re: 2005 d'Issan on the back deck after a long week, and other ramblings.

Post by JimHow »

Went to Fenway last night for my annual midsummer night game in the bleachers with my old law school buddies.
I've been going every year since my Dad took me to a doubleheader against the Twins in the heat of the pennant race in July 1967.
It's a place that connects generations.
We sat out in the triangle in straightaway centerfield, the section closest to the Green Monstah.
Just about where Bernie Carbo landed his legendary three run homer in the bottom of the eighth in Game 6 of the '75 World Series.
I was out there on a similar July night in '78 when Jim Ed Rice hit three homers in a weeknight game against Oakland... he would have had five in any other ball park, hitting another line shot off the Wall and yet another some 400+ feet into the deepest part of right center for a very long out. The Sox lost that game 8 to 7, with Jim Ed striking out to end the game in his sixth at bat with a runner on.
Last night was just perfect weather, a breeze blowing out to left center, where my man Xander Boegarts belted a three run homer in a 4-2 Sox win over Cleveland. Roger Clemens and Luis Tiant were in the old yard, we saw the Rocket pitch back in the 80s when we were in law school in Boston. Two Fenway Franks with mustard and a Diet Coke, great lifelong friends, and a soft breeze blowing out on a hot summer night at Fenway... with my favorite player hitting a game winning three run homer. It doesn't get much better....
Attachments
IMG_1551.jpg
IMG_1546.jpg
IMG_1544.jpg
IMG_1540.jpg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Boy the shelves were looking pretty bleak in the Hampton South store, Gerry, no signs of 2019s yet....
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

No, just a sad selection of 18's in Nashua. The Sox are too often painfull to watch lately.

Played golf with Michael Malinoski last Sunday and I popped a 86' Gruaud Larose after cooling off the the pool and having a burger. God, it was hot, 101 deg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah it's been hot. Mmmm '86 Gruaud.
Yeah, it's looking like the BoSox just don't have the horses this year.
Makes me sick to see the .320 hitting Benintendi suiting up for the dark side.

Mmm, the d'Issan is continuing to open up splendidly.
There's nothing about this that is screaming out 2005 to me.
It seems smooth, a little rustic and earthy, deep ruby colored, with classic Margaux nose.
Nice balance, not the instability that I've seen in some 2005s.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Can just imagine how the 2005 D’Issan is coming into its own
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I have had maybe a few 2005s since Primeur, and really thought they were progressing beautifully. Standouts, VCC (of course) Pichon Baron, Cheval, Langoa (only time I preferred it to Barton and a superb Latour. One of my favorite Bordeaux vintages. Only a dozen wines tasted recently, but very happy I went deep here.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, the 2005 d'Issan is really in a position of power and elegance, it is like a young college grad about to go for their post grad degree. The nose really screams out on this wine, it was barely evident at first but is now filling the room as darkness approaches in the quickly fading summer. A young Pole named Frederic Chopin is coming to me through the fingers of one Arthur Rubinstein on iTunes, the nocturnes. With the 2005 d'Issan, I'm in midsummer bliss!

93 enthusiastic points.
AKR

Post by AKR »

When I was in college I used to live near Fenway Park, on Beacon St., and one of my laboratory's chief had season passes for the Sox (they were modestly priced back then) and often he could not make one of the 81 or so games. So whoever was around could get the tix for free, so we got to attend a few games that way gratis. Still, back in that era, there were no sellouts, and bleacher seats were available on game days for $8, which was roughly the price of a movie ticket.

I once went to a game there where DH/1B Jack Clark slugged three homers, the final one in extra innings to win the game, and shattering a BMW's windshield parked behind the Monster, which astounded me as I walked home and saw that. Still, he injured himself on that final swing - he had chronic back issues - and hardly played anymore that season.

=======

What kind of glass is that with the d'Issan in the first picture? It's a huge stem
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

2005s are certainly sluggish coming around. Went deep here with 20+ cases and lots of beauties including Baron, Barton, Gruaud, Canon la Gaffelliere(superb), Pontet Canet, Malescot, Corbin, and others but a real surprise is the bunch has been Dauzac and Lafon Rochet. No real disappointments in this vintage.

Bosox having issues this year and felt bad for them when the Jays rocked them 28-5 a couple of weeks back.

My daughters in Boston this weekend with her husband and going to try to pick up some cheap tickets if possible for Sat game. On her drive back to Ottawa I've told her to drive up through the coast of Maine through Portland, Kenebunktport and Cambden before heading home. Any must stops Jim and I'll forward them to her.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Danny, it’s a 4pm game today, I would keep away from the bleachers, the sun is going to be pretty hot out there and will be setting down into their eyes as the game moves along. I like bleacher seats but usually for night games like the one we went to the other night. Having said that, bleachers are usually better than grandstand. I just checked the ticket site, there are still plenty of seats, the cheapest being in the $69 range. Which is crazy, we used to sit in the bleachers for $3.50 when we were in law school. If they sit on the third base side they’ll be in the shade the whole game but they’re probably limited to grandstand there.

If they’re heading up to Camden they should stop in Boothbay Harbor, the Cabbage island lobster/clambake trip is sold out but often there are last minute cancellations. Popham Beach if the tide is out is spectacular, where I have taken Jacques/Jill and other BWEers for a walk out on the rocks. Bar Harbor / Acadia National Park, of course, perhaps the most beautiful place in earth, rivaled only by Campobello Island just over the border into Canada, where the Franklin Roosevelt cottage is, where he contracted polio, and nearby Eastport Maine . Lobster rolls at Five Islands near Popham Beach.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just checked the ticket site again.
Their best bet is probably bleachers.

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/tickets/single-game-tickets

They can download the Ballpark app on their iPhone and get the tickets loaded on their phone.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice note Jim. I guess i was among the first to say that 2005 was a great vintage. On my side, my 2005 have never disapointed me.

Aaah, i saw Comte Flaneur this summer, and it was great time, but i you miss me all guys.

Tuesday, my brother was visiting, so we had the 1976 La Lagune that Comte gave me. Believe it or not, it was even better than the 1976 Magdelaine... i will report when more time.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

They enjoyed the game from grandstand 2 yesterday and sun not bad. They'll be heading up to Maine today and will look into your recommendations. I gave Melanie your email if they had any specifics they may ask you about along the next few days heading up the coast. Thanks for the suggestions.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice Danny, looks like it was a gorgeous day yesterday at Fenway, the weather has been great!