Bordeaux in November?

un bureaucrate

Bordeaux in November?

Post by un bureaucrate »

Hi all. I’ve not yet been to France, but with the strain of bureaucracy weighing a little heavy lately, I am giving serious thought to traveling out to the land of Bordeaux in November.

Have any of you been to Bordeaux in November? Good time, or bad time, to visit? Thanks to greatbdxfreak’s recent vintage report, I at least know a cheese shop I’d love to visit, but what are some stand-out, must-visit places to check out, aside from favorite chateaux? Any other advice?

Thanks,
Thomas
AlexR

Re: Bordeaux in November?

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

November is not a bad time to visit, but keep in mind that the 1st and 11th are public holidays.
And the Bordeaux climate can be pretty gray and wet.
The advantage here though is that this is well and truly outside the tourist season.
The city of Bordeaux is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a good base from which to visit the wine country.

If you have any specific châteaux you would like to visit it would be good to send them an e-mail and ask to do so at a specific time.
Of course, logistics (time between estates) needs to be taken into consideration.
Visits between 12 and 2 are out of the question. Two visits is fine for an easy-going day, four if you're gung ho.

Best regards,
Alex R.
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

I remember having nice visits at Ducru Beaucaillou, Giscours, Pichon Baron and Suduiraut. But that was ages ago.
Brian Pinci
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

What Alex said. I have been to Bordeaux around November three times.

I went to Bordeaux in early November 2011. It was grey and cool as Alex described but a quiet time and good time to visit. Last year Patrick and I visited Bordeaux in the last week in October, which was a bit warmer and less grey!

Write to them well in advance and the more knowledge you display the better. There is no harm in aiming high either. The worst they can say is no. Or not even reply.

But in late November 2017 we got into Lafite.