Bordeaux QPR - 4th Growths

Dionysus

Bordeaux QPR - 4th Growths

Post by Dionysus »

4th Growth Best QPR: Saint Pierre. this unassuming 4th Growth has for several years been consistently releasing beautiful wines which are more akin to high 3rd Growth properties – indeed critic rating of vintages over the past number of years may even push it close to the top of the 3rd Growth pile. However, the prices, particularly on release, are in keeping with its 4th Growth status. Just missing out are Tablot & Prieuré-Lichine.

4th Growth Worst QPR: Not a particularly strong view, but I ultimately decided that Beychevelle offered the “least best” QPR amongst the 4th Growths. The wine tends to perform adequately well, and can’t recall many poor experiences, but I guess it isn’t that far removed in terms of quality from the best QPR 4th Growths listed above, yet commands a significant premium (i.e. the most recent vintage is 70% more that Saint Pierre). Duhart-Milon finds itself in a similar position.
Conor
William P

Re: Bordeaux QPR - 4th Growths

Post by William P »

Since we are talking about QPR, I nominate Lafon Rochet. I also like St Pierre, but Branaire maybe a better value.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I like Talbot for its consistency across vintages, and I think it's in the top quartile of 4ths for overall quality.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Another vote for Talbot. What Chris said.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

In the Aquitaine Papers I had Beychevelle upgraded to a second growth and Talbot, Branaire and Duhart upgraded to third growths.

So the best fourth QPR would be out of those four and given the pricing I would say Talbot and Branaire would be neck and neck for best QPR.

But Lafon Rochet is very cheap I noticed and you rarely see a bad review.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9325&hilit=1855+classification
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus »

I can easily see the argument for both Talbot and Lafon Rochet. I do have a soft spot for St Estèphe's in general...I think the market under values this appellation more than most.

Beychevelle is priced as if 2nd Growth already, a 3rd Growth at least, so while a very good wine, not sure if it offers QPR
Conor
stefan

Post by stefan »

This is a tough one. Branaire Ducru. Or St Pierre. Or Talbot. Definitely a St Julien.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Saint Pierre for me also - though can appreciate the arguments for Lafon Rochet.