Re: BWE 2022 in DC October 28/29

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for organizing Joel.
I’m in for 28/29.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

In for 10/28 and 10/29.
Put us down for both David and PeggyG on Friday, though it could be just me.
Both of us Saturday.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

I am considering attending my first BWE event on the 28/29. Can someone debrief me on the goings on? I'll bring wine, of course, but what about hotel, food/lunches/dinners etc?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Awesome RP!
Good questions, I’m sure the answers will crystallize soon.
ericindc

Post by ericindc »

I am in for both days. Janet may be in California. Hopefully I'll know more about her plans soon.
--
Eric
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

RPCV wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:57 pm I am considering attending my first BWE event on the 28/29. Can someone debrief me on the goings on? I'll bring wine, of course, but what about hotel, food/lunches/dinners etc?
All of this is still in the works. But everyone from out of two generally stays in one of two hotels. Someone will have to remind me what these are as I live in the area. Also the last two years, the Friday dinner has been at Bistro Bis. The Saturday dinner was at Charlie Palmer last year. No organized lunches, but some may get together.

Where are you coming from, RPCV?
tim

Post by tim »

Would love to go, but apologies that I cannot make it. Will be headed to Paris end of October. Working on moving back. And between that and lots of work and personal crises, a DC trip isn't in the cards this year.

Miss y'all.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

JoelD wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:25 am
RPCV wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:57 pm I am considering attending my first BWE event on the 28/29. Can someone debrief me on the goings on? I'll bring wine, of course, but what about hotel, food/lunches/dinners etc?
All of this is still in the works. But everyone from out of two generally stays in one of two hotels. Someone will have to remind me what these are as I live in the area. Also the last two years, the Friday dinner has been at Bistro Bis. The Saturday dinner was at Charlie Palmer last year. No organized lunches, but some may get together.

Where are you coming from, RPCV?
We are in Columbus, Ohio.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

RPCV… Excellent!

The dinners on Friday and Saturday are the main organized events. Saturday is Bordeaux, sometimes with a theme but any Bordeaux is welcome. Friday is non-Bordeaux, often with 2 or 3 themes and sometimes just bring what you got. Organizers will post details and all-in costs for each dinner as we get closer. We all pre-pay the organizers.

Some people who fly in on Thursday get together for smaller dinners that night. Jim usually has a Champagne reception in his hotel room Friday afternoon, before the Friday dinner. We share phone numbers and emails to facilitate impromptu lunches or excursions to DC landmarks, one of which is MacArthur Beverages. Which is right next door to Black Salt, another wine friendly restaurant that has hosted a number of our smaller lunches and dinners.

DCA is the closest airport, but IAD and BWI can work as well. A cab/Lyft/Uber is easiest. There are also trains to DC Union Station which is very close to the usual hotels. DC Metro from DCA or IAD. At BWI, it’s a shuttle or cab from the airport to the train station a mile away, and then the MARC train to Union station.

There are numerous hotels near the restaurants we usually use for the Friday and Saturday dinners. As the date approaches people start posting places and deals so most of us end up in 1 or 2 places close to one of the restaurants.

Hyatt Regency on New Jersey Ave is where most stayed the last time. Some of us have stayed at the Yotel (used to be the Liaison) across the street. Or the Kimpton George, which is in the same building as Bistro Bis. Those are all walking distance to Bistro Bis, assuming that’s where we go. Expand the radius a mile and there are many more options.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

tim wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:53 am Would love to go, but apologies that I cannot make it. Will be headed to Paris end of October. Working on moving back. And between that and lots of work and personal crises, a DC trip isn't in the cards this year.

Miss y'all.
Good luck with the move, Tim, and everything else.

Who is gonna help me out when I get confused about which wine is in which glass?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Good luck on relocating in Paris, Tim. We hope to get there in 2023.
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

I’m in! First timer.
Brian Pinci
un bureaucrate

Post by un bureaucrate »

Who knows, maybe I’ll show up with some bottles… what’s the customary number to bring?

All contingent on whether or not I’m heading down to Mexico around this time, but I’d not… would love to see you folks in person!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done BP!

UP, as benevolent dictator of BWE, I order your presence.

It’ll be fun to see some new faces. And I can never emphasize this enough, there will be the mighty Stefan and other BWE history present, these are legends. Come join us… I never take these events for granted. We’ve been doing them for 22 years.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

barsacpinci wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:48 pm I’m in! First timer.
Will Dave be joining as well? And are you planning on both days, Brian?
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

JoelD wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:47 am
barsacpinci wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:48 pm I’m in! First timer.
Will Dave be joining as well? And are you planning on both days, Brian?
I will do both days. I haven’t talked Dave into it yet. I’m working on him.
Brian Pinci
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Nalan and I will join the BWE festivities for both Fri and Sat.

Tim: Guess we'll just have to organize a future BWE gathering in Paris to get you onboard. We'll miss you in DC.

Michael-P
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We’ll done indeed MichaelP, one of the original attendees at BWE Chicago ‘01….
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Glad you guys can make it, MP. Sorry to miss you, Tim. Good luck with the move back. Hope to catch you in Paris next year sometime.
un bureaucrate

Post by un bureaucrate »

Alright, count me in for both days. Will probably arrive the day prior, and depart the day after. Is there going to be a common hotel I should try to book? And is 6 bottles a good number to bring?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

un bureaucrate wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:41 pm Alright, count me in for both days. Will probably arrive the day prior, and depart the day after. Is there going to be a common hotel I should try to book? And is 6 bottles a good number to bring?
Will put you down. Mind sharing your first Name/last initial?

Nobody has decided on a home base hotel yet, but that should materialize on this thread as people find deals and chat about it. David's post above gave great general details but the specifics do change year by year.

I would say 4-6 bottles for a single person is a good number. Most people bring 2 per person, with a backup, per night. There's also a chance of a smaller Thursday dinner.
un bureaucrate

Post by un bureaucrate »

Thomas W.

My last hotel in DC shortly before the pandemic was the Watergate, which I loved, although it’s a little off the beaten path if anyone wants to avail themselves of the wonderful museums in town during their stay.

Thanks, I’ll certainly bring 6. Is the Thursday night dinner traditionally the “anything but Bordeaux” dinner I’ve seen referenced in other threads? Whatever the theme, I should be around for that, too.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When there is a Thursday night dinner it is usually Champagne-Bordeaux-Sauternes.

Friday night is usually Anything But Bordeaux, although I often bring Bordeaux anyway.

Saturday night is the main Convention Dinner, featuring Champagne, Bordeaux, and Sauternes.

We have been doing the convention every year since 2001 in Chicago, when we met to celebrate the first year anniversary of BWE. We have held annual conventions in Chicago, Napa, Sonoma, Bordeaux, Dallas, Miami, NYC, and numerous conventions on an every other year basis in DC.

I’m going to check the hotel prices soon but we’ve been finding the Hyatt Regency on New Jersey Street near the Capitol to be well located near the restaurants, easy to access the sites, and seems to be of good quality at usually reasonable rates.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I will unfortunately not be able to make this fall's gathering. I will be in California visiting a long-time good friend who is recovering from a recent stroke.
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:41 pm When there is a Thursday night dinner it is usually Champagne-Bordeaux-Sauternes.

Friday night is usually Anything But Bordeaux, although I often bring Bordeaux anyway.

Saturday night is the main Convention Dinner, featuring Champagne, Bordeaux, and Sauternes.

We have been doing the convention every year since 2001 in Chicago, when we met to celebrate the first year anniversary of BWE. We have held annual conventions in Chicago, Napa, Sonoma, Bordeaux, Dallas, Miami, NYC, and numerous conventions on an every other year basis in DC.

I’m going to check the hotel prices soon but we’ve been finding the Hyatt Regency on New Jersey Street near the Capitol to be well located near the restaurants, easy to access the sites, and seems to be of good quality at usually reasonable rates.
Are we doing this up as a full convention with all three dinner nights? I thought it would be a little less formal as we might also do something in the spring. But I'm fine either way!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m going to consider it an official annual convention so we don’t break our streak, but I’m planning on just going with the flow. Two or three dinners, a couple lunches, walking around, etc. Looking forward to it!

Sorry you can’t make it JC, one of the original Chicago ‘01 attendees!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I feel some pressure now...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nicola...
A three night surgical strike into DC.
I know you can do it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looks like we settled my murder case, fingers crossed, 4 years for manslaughter, he's got half of that in.
We've just got to get some immigration questions answered. Looks like my October is opening up a bit, but I still want to do it on the 28/29th.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Nicklasss wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:37 pm I feel some pressure now...
All the peer pressure, Nic. You should definitely make it down. I’ve missed drinking with you on zoom calls. I will bring you lots of Beaujolais!
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Logistics of evening events downtown DC will not work for me. But I would love to come and meet up for lunch and Mac Arthur's.

Best, Dan
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Flights purchased (arrive Fri, depart Sun) and hotel booked.
Did I see any theme for Fri or Sat?
Will source wine from the cellar in the coming weeks.
Michael-P
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Doesn't seem to be a specific theme for this year. Although a few have mentioned that it could be fun to have some 1982's and 2002's in the mix. Wines that are drinking well now seems to be the consensus.

Also, just a bump message for anyone that doesn't see their name on the confirmed guest list on the original post. Please post again and the names of your party/days attending. Thanks
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Lee and Regan will be there Friday eve and Saturday departing Sunday
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looking good!
Joel, did I see that Tom and Gail are coming?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Tom did post that he bought airline tickets, but that was before we finalized everything. I can put them on, but I was waiting for a final confirmation post that they would both be attending both days. Doing the same with a few others that I'm pretty sure are coming as well.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Both days for me! Costumes?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes!!!!!!
Harry Cantrell is in the building.
With COSTUMES, no less.

Omg, you silly people who are missing these epic BWE events in their final last convulsions...
You have no clue.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Probably should put me and Marjorie (Hoffman) down for both Friday and Saturday.

Chris Bublitz
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Nicklasss, Nicklasss, everyone is waiting to see your name and that lovely lady MC on the list for Friday and Saturday.

Chris Bublitz