2014 Conseillante

PghMike

2014 Conseillante

Post by PghMike »

Of course due to the wine of the year I picked up two bottles. Had the first last night. Really enjoyed how each sip was its own journey. I think I preferred the 2014 VCC but hard to say after many months. Had a little of this with a flatiron steak from the grill. Pairing was solid but the steak was a little overpowering for it I felt so saved most of it for after dinner.

Note from CT:
Decanted about six hours. A little very fine suspended sediment, couldve stood this one up a while before opening and pouring. Cherry, baked plum and a hint of tobacco and chocolate on the nose. Palate that starts with deep red fruit of black/bing cherries with some smooth chalky tannins and on the back half surfaces with brighter red fruit of strawberry and the acidity comes out. Medium body but definitely not "thin." Takes you on a very nice ride. Lingering finish.
JimHow

Re: 2014 Conseillante

Post by JimHow »

We’ll done PM. Joel is holding three bottles of the 2014 for me, I’ve got a lone 2016 in the cellar, and I’ve got six 2019s en futuro, that will probably be the extent of my La Conseillante stash til I move on to bigger and better things.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I have two or more bottles of Conseillante for 2000, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2017, with my significant (6+) holdings being 2000, 2010, 2014, and 2017. Basically my Bordeaux collection is structured around the idea that the world might end and if so I would need enough Pichon Baron (left bank) and Conseillante (right bank) to last me through a decade in a bunker.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thanks for the note Mike. Joel is holding 3 of these for me too. Looks like I’ll finally get s round to picking them up this fall.

I can’t say that Conseillante is my favorite realistically affordable Pomerol, but it’s up there and it’s the one I have the most of in the cellar. I prefer Trot and VCC but have accumulated more Conseillante over the years due to availability and price.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

The Conseillante is an excellent wine, and at its current price of less than $120, is a steal. But as I mentioned in a previous thread, the VCC is a much better wine, but it is now trading at around double the price. Over the next couple of weeks, I will be tasting Petrus and Trotanoy 2014, and will report. Should be interesting.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I have some 2014 Trotanoy in the cellar (no Petrus!) so I’ll be looking forward to your impressions Mark. I’m assuming it’s early days yet.
Betthoi

Post by Betthoi »

PghMike wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:56 pm Of course due to the wine of the year I picked up two bottles. Had the first last night. Really enjoyed how each sip was its own journey. I think I preferred the 2014 VCC but hard to say after many months. Had a little of this with a flatiron steak from this grill. Pairing was solid but the steak was a little overpowering for it I felt so saved most of it for after dinner.

Note from CT:
Decanted about six hours. A little very fine suspended sediment, couldve stood this one up a while before opening and pouring. Cherry, baked plum and a hint of tobacco and chocolate on the nose. Palate that starts with deep red fruit of black/bing cherries with some smooth chalky tannins and on the back half surfaces with brighter red fruit of strawberry and the acidity comes out. Medium body but definitely not "thin." Takes you on a very nice ride. Lingering finish.
Yes, this is a great wine. I tried it once and the taste is exactly as you described! Never tried it with grilled meat
JimS

Post by JimS »

Great notes - and I concur. It is a great wine and even better value at todays prices. I also give the nod to the 2014 VCC and it seems like the market likely agrees with that sentiment too given prices. Honestly, even though the 2014 VCC is now poking above $200/btl, and La Conseillante is low $100’s, I still think both are great values, relatively speaking.

Musigny, curious to hear your notes when you get a chance to try the 2014 Trotanoy and Petrus too!
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Postponed. My friend got Covid.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I tried Ch. Belair-Monange 2014 on Saturday and it was terrific, but quite unlike a Pomerol.