Lanessan sold to Ozzies

AlexR

Lanessan sold to Ozzies

Post by AlexR »

Château Lanessan, a cru bourgeois in Cussac (AOC Haut-Médoc) has been sold by the Bouteiller family to Treasury Wine Estates AKA Penfolds. Treasury also own Cambon la Pelouse and Belle-Vue, both in Macau and also in the Haut-Médoc appellation.

Lannessan is a 350 hectare estate with 85 hectares of vines, a large Tudor-style château dating from 1878, and a Horse Museum.

It is located a stone's throw from Château Beychevelle (indeed, some plots of Beychevelle adjoining Lanessan in the Haut-Médoc appellation have a special exemption to be incorporated into the Saint-Julien fourth growth).

My own experience is that Lanessan is a sturdy old-fashioned kind of Médoc featuring good value for money. Let us hope that the Australians raise it to another whole level.

The local newspaper says that this summer Penfolds came out with a blend of Australian and Médoc wines.

AR
greatbxfreak

Re: Lanessan sold to Ozzies

Post by greatbxfreak »

Ozzies=Aussies?
William P

Post by William P »

I thought we were talking Ozzy Osbourne and his wife.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Wow that is big news AlexR. The estate is pretty well distributed in the US so I wonder what edge Treasury brings to the table. I suspect we will start to see this at Costco now, though!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I’m a shareholder in TWE but it is not really an Aussie wine company any more as it now reasonably said to be international.

The CCP in its usual authoritarian way slapped high tariffs on Aust wines a few years ago so you may be able to pick up Penfolds and other Australian wines cheap. However TWE has largely recovered from the Chinese bullying in any case.