2016 Cantemerle

Nicklasss

2016 Cantemerle

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, dinner at some friends place, we had

2018 Garnier Chablis 1er Cru Beauroy : great wine. Superb intense mineral, petroleum, fruit nose, very marked by the terroir. With an incredibly nice mouth, balanced between fatty fruit, freshness, white flowers and shell minerals. For the price, rival easily some higher prices Côte d'Or...tn : 93.

2019 François Raquillet Mercurey Vieilles Vignes : i bought that as Revue du Vin de France wrote that wine could be introduced into a Grand Cru tasting... and i guess it is about right. Mercurey is surely overlooked in Bourgogne, but this wine is just great. The mixture of medium density pinot fruit, spices, earth and light oak is already quite complex and appealing. Drinks marvelously well already and i guess it would be prefferred to most village wines from Côte d'Or, and many 1er Crus too... A very top wine, showing the real potential of Mercurey. Tn : 93.

2016 Chateau Cantemerle: as expected, more blackberries, blackcurrants and body than the Mercurey, but stays very Cantemerle by the serious complexity, perfect balance, excellent drinkability already and for long. Creamy blackcurrant, light vine wood, graphite and earthy tones. Of course, less powerful and concentrated than the 2009 Pichon Baron, but as much a pleasure to drink... man i like Cantemerle. Tn: 92.
Nicklasss

Re: 2016 Cantemerle

Post by Nicklasss »

Reading AlexR post on the other thread, Alex if you go to Côte Chalonnaise, you should try to go visit Raquillet.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Nic, your description of the Raquillet sounds very tempting. But I see only one listing for this wine in the US on Winesearcher. I happened to buy and drink a bottle of the 2005 vintage of this wine, and my note said there was no need to buy any more. So they have improved a lot in the last 14 years.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

I agree Nic, Cantemerle is really great QPR, an excellent wine. In my opinion the 2016 and 2014 are the best recent vintages. But I had 2018, that JimH has spoken well about, yesterday and it is not far off from those. I will try to get 2019 to try that.
William P

Post by William P »

Had this wine about a week ago. You nailed the description Nic. 2016 is a great vintage and Cantemerle made the most of it.