2012 Château La Conseillante (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol)

jal

2012 Château La Conseillante (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol)

Post by jal »

• 2012 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (9/14/2022)
    We had this with a roasted rack of lamb and a simple green salad. Dark almost inky black, nose of black forest cake. This is a delicious hedonistic wine with a high level of purity. Layers of flavors and what it lacks in complexity it more than makes up for in hedonistic pleasure. No extraction or ripeness, good balance and not overly alcoholic even though it says 14% on the label. Will probably not gain more in secondary flavors and I would drink my remaining bottles over the next 10 years or so but I don't forecast much improvement. The finish is good. (93 pts.)
Best

Jacques
marcs

Re: 2012 Château La Conseillante (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol)

Post by marcs »

I picked up three bottles of this for my sons birth year but seems like it might not be a long ager?

I have plenty of other wines laid up for him that will be (like the 2012 Monte Bello, 2012 Faiveley Corton, and two bottles of 2012 Latour) so I won’t be entirely devastated if I have to drink it myself before he is of age…
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Interesting that this is drinking well already. Although based on other 2012's I've had. And how well the 2010 La Conseillante drank last year, this isn't surprising. This sounds very similar to the 2010 actually, albeit with less complexity and structure.
jal

Post by jal »

marcs wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:03 pm I picked up three bottles of this for my sons birth year but seems like it might not be a long ager?
The age old question. It will last a long time in my opinion. I just don't think it will improve much or gain in complexity.
Best

Jacques
Ognik

Post by Ognik »

:geek:
Monte Bello 12 is a good choice in 2012.
Not sure if Conseillante is.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the update Jacques. This was brilliant and compelling in its youth aged 3-4, when I tried it a couple of times, and oh so cheap.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:01 am Thanks for the update Jacques. This was brilliant and compelling in its youth aged 3-4, when I tried it a couple of times, and oh so cheap.
I know, incredibly cheap! No one had caught on to how good it was and 2012 was perceived as an off vintage. I wish I had bought more than 3

IME Conseillante tends to drink well throughout its life, although that may be changing with newer vintages like 2016 that are bigger and more tannic