Seeking input on BWE convention venues.

JimHow

Seeking input on BWE convention venues.

Post by JimHow »

Joel has been doing yeoman work setting up our two venues for the upcoming Friday and Saturday night convention dinners.

Everything is more expensive these days as we come out of the pandemic. Joel has been working on Bistro Bis and Charlie Palmer. If we do Charlie Palmer on Saturday night the price will be closer to $300 per person, which may be a bit prohibitive for some. Charlie Palmer is closed on Saturdays so the staff would come in specially for us on that night, thus increasing the cost. I think if we do Charlie Palmer on Friday night the price will be reduced somewhat. The other way to reduce the cost is to invite more non-BWEers.

I talked to the mighty Stefan last night, Joel, I think he thinks $300 might be a little high and while he doesn’t mind a certain number of non BWE locals, I think he would prefer not too many. Of course he will speak up here for himself.

Perhaps you can elaborate more on the details of our options, Joel. As for me, I’m happy to go with the flow, I appreciate your efforts, it’ll be great fun no matter what options we choose.

I also discussed hotel options with the mighty Stefan. It seems to me the best options are the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill on New Jersey Street, as it is close to the restaurant venues, located close to the action, etc. J think prices are at about $300 per night, again, everything is pricier these days, it’s all Joe Biden’s fault. (Kidding.) Stefan likes the Washington Hilton over on Connecticut Ave, I like it too but it’s a little further away from the restaurants etc., we’d definitely have to take Uber or cabs. I’m gonna take a closer look at our hotel options on my trip to Alaska tomorrow.

Anyway, any thoughts or preferences are welcomed…
JoelD

Re: Seeking input on BWE convention venues.

Post by JoelD »

Thanks, Jim. I'll try to sum up the options fairly simply. Everything is more expensive right now as you mentioned. All of the options are tasting/pre fixe menus. Along with either apps or cheese/charcuterie boards to start.

Charlie Palmer is a wonderful setup. However they are closed on the weekends so they would have to open up just for us for the Saturday dinner. The cost is around $8,500 all in, Although I would work on getting us some extras for all of that. At current confirmations that would put it between 320-360 a person. However, I think a few more DC locals may join in. The food leaves a little to be desired compared to the other, cheaper options but the space is obviously ideal. I can explore the Friday option for CP, which should lower the costs. I don't know them yet.

Bistro Bis has been great. Many people loved it last year. It is an option for both Friday and Saturday. Cost is also up but more reasonable at around 200-230 a person. This will be in the same space as last year where we had the entire bottom half of the restaurant to ourselves. The food was great and so was the service.

Bistro Cacao is a third choice, backup option. This is around 6k all in. Around 220-250 a person. A little more expensive than Bistro Bis, probably. This is where we did the Saturday 2020 dinner. They said they can set up round tables for better mingling. Probably the third choice. Only an option for Friday. Good food and if they can alter the room, it is a decent choice.

I plan to do a bit more work exploring a few other options such as Black Salt and a couple other French bistros. However I think the above three choices are probably our best bet. Bistro Bis will be one of the nights.

Option 1. Same as last year. Bistro Bis on Friday. Charlie Palmer on Saturday.

Option 2. Bistro Cacao(or maybe Black Salt) on Friday. Bistro Bis on Saturday.

Option 3. Charlie Palmer on Friday(still waiting on the details/price on this). Bistro Bis on Saturday.

Please chime in with your thoughts by the end of this weekend if you have any. Also please PM me if any options would keep you from joining us. Since I'm still waiting on a few final details, I may just have to make an executive decision but I welcome input at this point that will help that.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I strongly prefer Bistro Bis for Friday. Charlie Palmers seems to be worse every visit. Last year featured missed courses and inedible food for our table. I realize that food is far from the main event with us but paying a substantial tariff for not even lackluster cuisine seems to be a waste of our money.

Bistro Bis, OTOH, has always been stellar in my experience. Bistro Cacao was also good though not at BB level, IMO. Black Salt is also outstanding.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

If it can work, I think we should go with Bistro Bis on Saturday night. Then pursue Friday venue. Black Salt would be my first choice. Bistro Cacao is fine. La Chaumiere (French Bistro) in Georgetown might work for Friday, I think they have a private room upstairs - I’m going there for dinner tonight and will check it out.

Chris Bublitz
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

As for hotels, my first two choices would be Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill and Hilton Capital Hill - both on New Jersey Avenue about a block apart.

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m fine with Chris’s suggestion of Bistro Bis on Saturday and Black Salt on Friday.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Maybe a white and Red Burg theme with champagne with the fish at Black Salt on Friday?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I actually just got a call back from black salt. They don’t normally do private events on Friday or Saturday but are willing to make an exception. Should be similar cost to bistro bis and cacao. We would get the back room. Hopefully not too tight. Going to talk with the chef tomorrow and see what we can work out.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
I’m fine with Chris’s suggestion of Bistro Bis on Saturday and Black Salt on Friday.
<<

+1

CheapTickets.com has 6 rooms at the Hyatt Capitol @ $242. The senior rate there is only $1 more.
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

I like Chris’ suggestion, too. I’ve never been to Black Salt - bucket list
Brian Pinci
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I also like Black Salt Friday and Bistro Bis Saturday. If Black Salt has enough space. How many can Black Salt accommodate?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Black salt said they can fit about 32 in their back room. We are only at 22-24 right now. I was there recently and while it won’t be as free flowing for mingling as bistro bis or Charlie Palmer, I think it will work. I can run by there once before booking to confirm.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds good to me Joel!
Black Salt on Friday, Bistro Bis on Saturday.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

JimHow wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:19 pm Sounds good to me Joel!
Ditto!
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

JimHow wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:19 pm Sounds good to me Joel!
Great, I'll do my best to make this work for us and finalize it. Thanks for the help and input!

Will hopefully have this all wrapped up by the time you get back from Alaska. Safe travels.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

While I'm at it, trying to figure out Black Salt menu. (It may be a full tasting menu as opposed to pre fixe like Bistro Bis).

Are there any restrictions I need to be aware of? I know there are a couple of seafood allergies. Shrimp in particular and maybe all shellfish for some?

Also is there anyone coming that doesn't eat red meat? The Thursday dinner last year that they did for us was sublime. It had veal and ribeye as the 3rd/4th course.

I will do my best to have some sort of options/backup menu for any allergies/strong preferences.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I booked the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill on New Jersey Street for Thursday - Sunday. It can be cancelled up to 48 hours before the arrival date.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice. I’m going to do the same.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Being an inherently cheap Sweet Ole Bill, at the same time I applied for a Hyatt credit card that is offering $300 on charges at Hyatt. The process is painless. I do need to remember to cancel the card after I get the first bill, but Siri will remind me to do this.
jal

Post by jal »

Bill, the Chase Hyatt card costs $95 a year and gets you a free night every year in Hyatt hotels category 1-4 (the Hyatt on Capitol Hill is category 4)
Jill and I have each a Hyatt card just for that
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

BTW, same is true of Chase Marriott and Chase IHG cards. $95/year and yes, we have them all just for the free nights
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm booked at the Hyatt Regency, 400 New Jersey Ave, from Thursday Oct 27 to Sunday Oct 30.
I did not go with the special credit card deals though, my life is complicated enough.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Update. Black Salt for Friday and Bistro Bis for Saturday are essentially booked. Awaiting final contracts early next week.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Peggy’s deathly allergic to all shellfish but will be ok as long as there are alternatives.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You da man!

Pistachios are a bad scene for me allergy-wise.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Thanks, Joel!
I am allergic to shrimp but can eat all other shellfish!

Chris Bublitz
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Salt and Bis perfect! We are fine moving on from Charlie.

Currently at the Hyatt near the White House as it was cheaper. Our friends in Georgetown that we normally stay with are moving to Cape Town. They promise us a wine experience there next year.

Michael-P
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Got a good rate at the Capitol Hill Hilton that is a block up the street from the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill.

Chris Bublitz
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

When I called Hilton, they said I could use free nights for Friday and Saturday nights at the Hilton Capitol Hill. That’s what I’m doing.

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Greetings from Fairbanks, AK, the weather is beautiful, a foliage of yellow and green in full swing.
Looking forward to seeing everyone in DC in a month!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Great choices. I might be able to do Saturday now as well. Joel and I have been in touch.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Peggy and I are booked at the Hilton Capitol Hill Friday and Saturday night.
ericindc

Post by ericindc »

Since i live and work nearby, If anyone is still looking for hotels, there is a new one a few blocks away on 1st st that just opened over the last couple months. CitizenM Washington, DC Noma. Looks nice. Some other hotels like the Phoenix Park, Hotel George, Yotel, Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Regency, and Courtyard by Marriot are all pretty walkable from Bistro Bis. I would avoid getting a hotel west of Bistro Bis near gallery place. as there is a large mens shelter at 2nd and D and there can be alot of shadiness happening at night when people would be walking back.

There are no hotels I'm aware that are walkable to BlackSalt.
--
Eric
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yup, BlackSalt will be a Lyft or Uber ride. But it is right next door to MacArthur’s.