BDX in the 916

AKR

BDX in the 916

Post by AKR »

WilliamP summoned a few of the local cadres over the weekend, to partake in Bordeaux and beef. Everything was kind of jumbled up in our household, so I ended up bringing minion #2 over, and imbibing modestly. Still it was great to see everyone, taste some old wines, look at new crafts/projects, and perhaps say good bye to a faithful four legged friend.

Lots of great food: cheese and bread platters, sousvide/grilled prime rib with horseradish, Hasselback potatoes, green beans and mushrooms, and then berries with ice cream to close. Complex older wines are often better with primal, fresh flavors.

We started with

1980 Clos du Bois Cabernet Sauvignon 'Proprietor's Reserve' [Dry Creek Valley] This has been held since release and was from the era back when this producer actually had estate vineyards and made fine wine. Some might remember there 'Marlstone' bottling. Now after much corporate machinations, its just a big bottom shelf brand, from anonymous grapes. But this was lively, tasty showing red fruit and berry flavors. This was generally a 'regular' quality vintage in the North Coast.

1996 Pape Clement [Pessac Leognan] These are some of the last wines made before this estate started making bigger more powerful wines under Bernard Magrez. Medium weight, and very smooth. Maybe 1998 is the last before the volume was turned up? I do like both styles, but they're a little different. (It kind of reminded me of the 1996 Smith Haut Lafitte which was also quite different from the latter rouge at this estate) It's been a while since I have had anything from here. For those who might not know, wine has been made from these same vineyards since the 1300s.

1996 Lagrange [St Julien] Another reliable stalwart. This is fruity, minty, eucalyptus with layers of complexity now. Suntory makes such a consistent bottling here, and with good availability.

2006 l'Arrosee [St Emilion] This estate is now defunct, having had its vineyards rolled up into 'Quintus', along with Tertre Daugay and Grand Pontet. This used to be known for a finesse styled St Emilion in the 80's and 90's, but by this time, after some style changes - big bottle, oak, more volume - it is a more typical modern St Emilion. Still at this age the oak is soaked up, and the higher acid levels are ok. Still it won't make anyone forget their 1985 or 1990.

A bottle of the 2003 Leoville Poyferre was TCA affected unfortunately.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole
I returned back to the 916 area right about the time our hosts got a new puppy. Here's she is now at age 13...how the time has flown by! I look at bottles laid down decades ago, and dogs whose muzzles have now turned white, and wonder where did the years go. It seems like it was just yesterday.

Thanks for the dinner and hosting!
Last edited by AKR on Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claret

Re: BDX in the 916

Post by Claret »

Another great time in Sacramento. Thanks Bill and Linda, Arv and Terry.

The Clos du Bois was alive and pleasure giving from a modest vintage. One of my most aged California experiences.

Pape Clement was classic Graves with tobacco and earth notes.

Lagrange was in fine form and complex.

I truly enjoyed 85 and 86 l'Arrosee in the late 90's and this was a different beast. Ripe with oak tones, a big change in style from the elegant days.

I too remember Hana as a rambunctious puppy.
Glenn
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Arv,

Thanks for the notes. The 05 lArrosée is superb and sad to see this one get gobbled up for mass production of Quintus. The 05 is elegant with one of those noses at the moment that's make you want to sniff all night. Only 2 bottles left from a case and sadly the joy that this has brought over the last two years makes us sad that there will soon be no more. I don't have the 06 but seems like they had an off year from your description or it's in an awkward state.
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

I suppose 2006 was not as cooperative weatherwise, and even with all the modern techniques/efforts, it's still better to start off with a perfect season, like 2005.
William P

Post by William P »

It was great to see Arv and Glenn after the years of the pandemic. As Arv alluded to, there was a minor cloud over the dinner as Hana my Labradoodle will be put down on Friday. She was a great dog. Time just caught up to her.

The wine were excellent and the company better.

On comment on the 2003 Leoville Poyferre. It was mildly corked so I tried the Jedi plastic wrap trick over night. It helped but the wine was not cured. What I did ascertain while the fruit is no doubt beautiful in a hale bottle I believe it to be very out-of-balanced wine. There is far too little acidity. To my knowledge TCA may hinder smell and taste, but I do not believe it changes acidity.

Bill