How is everyone in Florida, South Carolina, etc. doing?

Tom In DC

How is everyone in Florida, South Carolina, etc. doing?

Post by Tom In DC »

Some areas look terrible. Gail and I hope everyone is safe.
Nicklasss

Re: How is everyone in Florida, South Carolina, etc. doing?

Post by Nicklasss »

Me too, hoping no harm to any BWEers.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

I’m on the east coast; just got some rain, no damage.

As you know, the west coast got hit bad. Jacques is in Israel so I don’t know how much he knows about his property but at least he is safe.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
jal

Post by jal »

Thanks for checking, we were in NYC when we heard we have some water damage from a leak in the roof so we canceled our trip to Israel. We will go back to Sarasota Monday to assess the extent of the problem, but it looks like mainly our floor and some of the furniture may be ruined.

The important thing is that we are safe and lucky, praying for people in Fort Myers and the badly hit areas.
Best

Jacques
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Happy to hear you friends are safe!
AKR

Post by AKR »

Yikes. I had always thought the Gulf side of the state was safer? My cousin is in Tampa and said they lost power, and that was about it. He has a generator and all that though.

Any word on Berns?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That’s good to hear, I hope the damage isn’t too bad Jacques.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Arv:

You reminded me about the story after Katrina that a famous restaurant, like Berns, in New Orleans had no power for a few weeks when it was 100f outside and had to claim insurance for their cellar but then the insurance company sold the cellar off to some company that buys cargo from train wrecks. Maureen Downey found some in a shop in San Francisco and told a bunch of us. Prices on most were about 1/2 market, although the few 1st growths I saw by the time I got there were more like 90% of market. Some wines showed real heat abuse but most looked good. A real Russian roulette! Will that happen with Berns?

Michael-P
jckba

Post by jckba »

Glad you were in NYC Jacques and hope the damage is not all that bad.

And I think when you have as much wine as Berns in Tampa, you absolutely need have to have some sort of generator back up otherwise you would certainly open yourself up to this.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Michael-P wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:13 am Arv:

You reminded me about the story after Katrina that a famous restaurant, like Berns, in New Orleans had no power for a few weeks when it was 100f outside and had to claim insurance for their cellar but then the insurance company sold the cellar off to some company that buys cargo from train wrecks. Maureen Downey found some in a shop in San Francisco and told a bunch of us. Prices on most were about 1/2 market, although the few 1st growths I saw by the time I got there were more like 90% of market. Some wines showed real heat abuse but most looked good. A real Russian roulette! Will that happen with Berns?

Michael-P
At least with automobiles, something that has been claimed as a total loss, would get tagged with a salvage title and the buyer would (in theory) be aware of what happened, and could make a price/value assessment. With untitled tangibles that doesn't happen and seems almost fraudulent.
jal

Post by jal »

jckba wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:45 pm Glad you were in NYC Jacques and hope the damage is not all that bad.
Thanks, we were supposed to be there for two days en route to Israel but ended up staying a week. Got back yesterday and the damage is mainly ceiling and floors, the building manager covered the furniture and we are now in full ceiling repair mode. We will have to change the floors. Small price to pay for dodging a major bullet
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Glad you and Jill are ok Jacques. Repairs can be a pain but at least it’s fixable, and sometimes a fun opportunity to make changes.