Barolo Communes & Single Crus

Chateau Vin

Barolo Communes & Single Crus

Post by Chateau Vin »

For Comte, jal, Tom in Dc, jckba and ALL other Barolo Wine Lovers-- Maps of Barolo Communes & Single Crus.. :D :D

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

(Best viewed in "Terrain" Base Map to see the slopes and their facings...) :D :D
jal

Re: Barolo Communes & Single Crus

Post by jal »

Beautiful, thank you for this Chateau Vin, but I have a problem with single vineyard nebbiolos. I just don't think the terroirs is distinctive enough to justify the premium in price. As opposed to Burgundy where Grand Crus and 1er crus were designated a few hundred years ago, Barolo and Barbaresco only started designating Single Crus about 40-50 years ago, the cynic in me thinks it is just a way to jack up prices.
Now, obviously some terrain is better than other, the top of a hill will have more concentrated wines than the bottom, older vines planted in some areas will of course produce more complex wines than younger vines but for me, Barolo and Barbaresco, even more than Burgundy is about producer and vintage first and foremost.
That said there are exceptions :D Santo Stefano di Neive, Sori San Lorenzo, Cascina Francia, Faletto, and a few others, but for wines that will not cost your first born I still would go for the regular wine (the normale in the case of the Produttori)
And please let's go ahead and debate this but for me, and I said this before, I find single vineyard Barolo and Barbaresco to be more of an intellectual exercise, trying find the strengths and flaws in each vineyard. I personally prefer blends which, when properly done, are more enjoyable and are a better reflection of the area and the winemaker as whole.
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

I read Kerin O'Keefe's book and she seemed to be of the same mind too, jal.

I'll check out the link and thanks for sharing that.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Very cool maps CV.

Just as there are people who wax poetic about specific Burgundy vineyards (and producers) or Bordeaux terroir, there are those who feel the same about the various Barolo, Barbaresco, Mosel, and even Napa vineyards. It’s a personal preference thing.

There are probably a number of different factors that influence people to delve into the nuances of one area but not another. Palate preferences, exposure to good examples, curiosity about a particular area, the opportunity to travel, probably others.

I came late to an appreciation of Nebbiolo. The Produttori Barbaresco blend was a satisfying and economical introduction. Never spent the time to or had much interest in really exploring nuances between vineyards. I did buy a few bottles of 2016 Produttori single vineyards to compare to the blend. It will probably be a while before it makes sense to open them. I’ll be back with more to contribute to this thread in a Blanquito or three. :D
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks CV and really interesting perspective Jacques. This had not occurred to me. Most of my burgundy holdings are 1er Cru, rather than villages or GC. I suspect I have just followed the same routine in Barolo and Barbaresco - for example I have a 12 bottle case of Produttori normale 2016 but a six pack of every single Cru. Food for thought. I am going to Piedmont on Sunday until Thursday next week so will report back.
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Meanwhile we had a warm up dinner on Tuesday - two of this group of eight I am travelling with…apols to Jim I am going to link from WP - not really a competitor and friends rather than family (BWE)

https://wine-pages.com/community/index. ... 022.13424/
jal

Post by jal »

Fascinating tasting Ian, seems like all the wines, including the simple Nebbiolos and Langhe showed well. And I agree about them needing a lot less time to show well.
Enjoy your trip, and in truffle season no less! I can't wait to read about your impressions.
Best

Jacques