Bordeaux rules

Nicklasss

Bordeaux rules

Post by Nicklasss »

Well tonight, i forget all the 1er Crus Classés, or the terroir of Saint-Émilion and the renewal of the classement that consider money and mess more interesting than wine.

I opened a bottle of one of the most inexpensive Haut-Médoc, from the fabulous 2016 vintage, made approximately 2 km West of the limit of Saint Estèphe, Château Picourneau.

The 2016 Château Picourneau has a typical "Médoc" blend, with 65% cabernet sauvignon, 25% merlot and 5% petit verdot. The sandy with calcaire terroir is working just fine, in a vintage like 2016, to produce an excellent wine. Nice dark red color, nose of blackcurrabtsm blackcherries, light severe wood, and something mineral. Mouth is medium body, with mainly flavors of concentrated black cherries, ripe blackberries, smoky coal wood. At 14% alcohol, there is just enough matter to control it, good tannin, light bitter wood, decent long final on blackfruits and light black licorice. Dry, no sweetness. This is very well made, fruity but slightly austere at the same time. Tn: 88-89.

I sincerely think that this wine is clearly showing that even at an affordable level, red wine of Bordeaux can be competitive to any "less expensive" wine area in the World. Here, this 2016 Château Picourneau is less expensive than most basic California/Washington/Oregon reds, compete easily with wines from Rhône, Languedoc, Roussillon or Provence, easily cheaper than 99.9% of Bourgogne. It is a very good contestant to Aussie, Spain or same price cuvées from Chile. This wine proves why "Bordeaux rules".
AlexR

Re: Bordeaux rules

Post by AlexR »

Don't know Picourneau Nic, but you sure make me want to try it!

AR