BWE DC '22 festivities are underway!

JimHow

BWE DC '22 festivities are underway!

Post by JimHow »

Wonderful to see everyone last night, more pictures and accounts to follow!
Attachments
IMG_1686.jpg
jckba

Re: BWE DC '22 festivities are underway!

Post by jckba »

Looking forwards to more pictures and the wines that stood out from the pack for both last night as well as at tonight’s main event!
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

We were having such a great time that we stayed too long to get clear lineup pics. Hopefully someone took some better ones.
Some of my wines of the night were:

-1982 Dunn Howell Mountain-Damn if this didn't smell like 1989 Lynch Bages.
-1964 Fontanafredda Barolo- Blind tasted everyone on this and people did amazing well. Special props to MichaelP for nailing the vintage and region and then JimHarrigan for calling the Exact bottle.
-2002 Frederic Magnien Charmes Chambertin- In a lovely place, my favorite 02 Burg of the night.
-2014 PYCM Chassagne Caillerets- Really blossomed with air and had a beautiful zip/minerality
-1999 Jadot Corton Charlemagne- Holding up well in a great spot, rich but balanced. So fun to try. Similar to the 02 a few years ago.

0DE6D832-66D4-42E8-BCD0-8415C5EF3751.jpeg
2A40956D-54FA-4044-B629-0AFF006B0F5C.jpeg
FA9CD103-774B-4EA4-8457-0A599EE4791B.jpeg
Last edited by JoelD on Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

I agree that Dunn Howell mountain was drinking beautifully last night. I didn't get to try that particular Charmes Chambertin but I did enjoy the Ponsot one as well as the Clos des Lambrays and the Les Saint Georges. All lovely wines. The Togni was special - just love his wines. I have the '94 waiting to be opened. The Insignia magnum I brought was good but I was comparing it to the '97 I've had recently which was unbelievable.
I was disappointed with many of the whites (and I'm a big white wine drinker). Not that any were bad, just was expecting so much more especially from the two Peter Michaels. While they had tons of fruit both seemed to be in decline from when I've had before. The two whites that stood out for me were the Jadot Corton Charlemagne and the Heredia Blanc, a very different type of wine. I saw potential in the Pillot but a bit young for me to evaluate.
And of course, the Champagnes!!!
Brian Pinci
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

I glad every one looking good and enjoying seing each other.

Enjoy the momemt and have a good evening tonight

Eventhough I didn’t write a lot recently, always enjoy reading the forum. I wish i would have been able to be there

JeanFred
marcs

Post by marcs »

Argh! Can’t believe I missed an 02 Lambrays, have wanted to try that wine for years! Oh well, those are the risks of a BWE Friday night

Agree the 02 Magnien Charmes was terrific. The 64 Barolo was absolutely sublime, and the 73 Rioja that Jim Harriman had brought was honestly rather revelatory for me as to the possibilities of aged Rioja

The 92 Togni was drinking incredibly fresh, rich, and young. I really enjoyed a number of whites, especially the 2014 Pierre Yves Colin Morey Chassagne Caillers and the 99 Jadot Corton Charlemagne. The 92 Taylor Port I brought was just starting to smooth out a bit with age and had some beautiful bright fruit but was still too young and a touch boozy- felt like it needed at least 10 and possibly 20 years.

Had several other older Napa wines - the 94 Insignia and the 93 Spottswoode — that were very good and had perfect aged Napa typicity (plummy and rich) but lacked a little pizzazz and complexity, especially the insignia
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sounds like a blast! Well done, great to see some pics especially.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Looks like a great Friday dinner. Have a blast guys, and enjoy every single moment with other BWEers.

Great wine lineup.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Sounds like a lot of fun. 1964 Barolo is great - I've had the Fontanafredda a couple of times and its solid. Along with Rioja, the place for value in 1964s.

Glad to hear the 2002 Clos des Lambrays showed well. I have a magnum of it but have never tasted it. I have so many things to share with BWEers!

SF Ed
NoahR

Post by NoahR »

Sad to miss!