The 2019 du Tertre has been uncorked and other ramblings....

JimHow

The 2019 du Tertre has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by JimHow »

Let's get it on!
My first 2019....
Attachments
IMG_1715.jpg
JimHow

Re: The 2019 du Tertre has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by JimHow »

A little candied on the nose and palate at the very outset but nothing too shocking.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow, only 13.5% it reads on the dark, barely readable back label.
A regular good old English styled classic claret!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hmm, I think I'm just going to have to reserve judgment on either the 2019 du Tertre specifically or the 2019 vintage in general.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

As for the 2019 du Tertre..

There's just not much interesting here.
No typicity.
Nothing here that reflects its varietal origins.
Nothing that would tell me I had just uncorked a Bordeaux, let alone a Margaux.
Or even anything from the eastern or western, northern or Southern Hemispheres.
This seems like the end result of 40 years of manipulation and fraud in French winemaking.
It is "only" 13.5 percent but it nonetheless seems hot. A 13.5% wine that seems like a 15%er, who would have thunk.
This seems like the end result of 40 years of hot drama from Bordeaux.
I for one have had just about enough of the drama from Bordeaux.
(It's like the recent US election. We've had enough of your bullshit, Trumpers/Bordeaux.)
Really? 40 years after 1982, THIS is what Margaux has to offer?
If this is Margaux, I'm Sally Smith.
Good grief.
Rating: 85 points.
Gag me.
StBlGT

Post by StBlGT »

Thanks for the note, Jim. I started a thread here around 3 weeks ago about feeling the alcohol in the 2019's...despite quite a bit of chateaux in the 13-13.5% range. I believe this is the third time reading about a low ABV wine tasting hot in 2019. I really hope this isn't true because I had high hopes for this vintage. Fingers crossed this was just the du Tertre speaking and not the vintage.
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Possibly a silly question (?)

But I’ve heard using reverse osmosis to reduce alcohol levels is absolutely rampant in Bordeaux at the moment. Could that explain why the wine tastes like / has flavours more in tune with 15% when the actual reading is a fair bit less? They’ve picked on those flavours and then tweaked the final alc?
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Ambrose,

Yes, it's silly question imho.

To my knowledge reverse osmosis is normally used to gain more alcohol by removing water, not the other way round :?: . It's not been used in Bx in recent vintages.

Jim,

Have you drunk too much wine recently? Maybe your bottle was faulty? First time I hear 13.5% alcohol tasting like 15%. I have just tasted some minor 2019 from St.Emilion at app.14% alcohol. Typical wines for the district and I wasn't feeling the alcohol.
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Appreciate the feedback Izak.

In the context of all the content I’ve consumed and conversations I’ve had, I’m quite genuinely flabbergasted to hear someone as well connected as yourself suggest that the practise is not rife in modern Bordeaux.

As for how it works I’ll default to wine spectator.

https://www.winespectator.com/articles/ ... t-for-5360

“ Some winemakers like the flavors obtained from extremely ripe grapes, but not the extra alcohol that results from the high sugar levels in the fruit. Reverse osmosis (or RO for short) is one technique they can use to reduce the alcohol without changing the fruit flavors and other elements in the wine.”

I really have no intention of being rude or ‘point scoring’ in here - that really isn’t my jam. I love that there are different opinions and outlooks on this page - it works so well - and I am among those that value yours. But if I did not clarify my comment I ran the risk of looking silly as a result of your reply which I don’t think is fair.

Forgive me.

I
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well, that does it. Selling all my 2019s.

You know, Jim, I had the same “no sense of place” reaction to the only 2019 I’ve tried so far, the Tour St. Christophe. It was very good-excellent and well balanced but nothing about it said Bordeaux to me. Didn’t worry me too much as it was inexpensive and I wasn’t expecting a whole lot of terroir, if there even is such a thing anymore in St. Emilion. Would love to hear your impressions on that one at this early stage.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’ll be giving more of a look at the 2019 Tour St. Christophe at a holiday barbecue tonight, I’m really pulling for the 2019 vintage to be good as the pricing seems rational. But that du Tertre was not my cup of tea. But… just one sample so far, way too early to formulate any opinions.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Ambrose wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:37 am Possibly a silly question (?)

But I’ve heard using reverse osmosis to reduce alcohol levels is absolutely rampant in Bordeaux at the moment. Could that explain why the wine tastes like / has flavours more in tune with 15% when the actual reading is a fair bit less? They’ve picked on those flavours and then tweaked the final alc?
Where did you hear that? It is not true. Very few people own RO machines and even fewer use them. When you use RO, you reduce water and alcohol, as well as potentially reduce other solids, which could impact flavor.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
When you use RO, you reduce water and alcohol, as well as potentially reduce other solids, which could impact flavor.
>>

Of course, Jeff. But you can lower the alcohol level by distilling off the alcohol and putting the rest back into the wine.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

stefan wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:26 pm >>
When you use RO, you reduce water and alcohol, as well as potentially reduce other solids, which could impact flavor.
>>

Of course, Jeff. But you can lower the alcohol level by distilling off the alcohol and putting the rest back into the wine.
That would result in a loss of flavor. But the bottom line is, there are very few RO machines around today, and I do not know of anyone using them, unless they want to remove water, which is not an issue lately.
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Appreciate your input Jeff.

Interesting points. It certainly contrasts what I’ve been told (mainly from winemakers who have previously worked in Bordeaux - plus a few writers I read have touched on it gently). I’m happy to remain sceptical either way - it’s all second hand information to me.

Of more interest, what would be your take on Jims experience with the 2019 du Tertre? Just a bit young and needs to shed some baby fat?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

After drinking the 2019 Tour St. Christophe tonight, Ambrose, I'm a little less concerned. I'll post in a separate thread today or tomorrow.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Ambrose wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:34 am Appreciate your input Jeff.

Interesting points. It certainly contrasts what I’ve been told (mainly from winemakers who have previously worked in Bordeaux - plus a few writers I read have touched on it gently). I’m happy to remain sceptical either way - it’s all second hand information to me.

Of more interest, what would be your take on Jims experience with the 2019 du Tertre? Just a bit young and needs to shed some baby fat?
It is Jim's experience. I am sorry, but I have no take on it. You can read tasting notes on my site for the 2019 if you wish.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Scary report Jim, on that 2019 Château du Tertre.

I hope that bottle was not representative of du Tertre or the 2019 vintage...

Did not received my 2019 yet, delivery reported to March 2023.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I got my six bottles of 2019 La Conseillante this week from MacArthur’s!