World Cup 2022

jal

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by jal »

Really bad refereeing for Argentina - Holland and for France - England.
England and their penalty woes 🙄, at least they played their heart out and could (and should) have won.
Good game though, best so far.
If Croatia and Marocco make it to the final, I expect a 😴
Allez les Bleus
Vamos Albicelestes

And yes, tragic about Grant Wahl, I don't know if there's foul play there but at the very least there's a question of how simple bronchitis in a healthy 48 year old can be fatal.
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Appalling refereeing I agree Jacques especially in the Holland Argentina game.

I am a harsh critic of England but I think they were the better side after France opened the scoring.

And France has an even weaker defence than England, which Ing-er-Lund did not exploit as well as they should have (not helped by the inept refereeing), but England did not score in open play and France did twice, so on that basis France deserved to go through.

France took their chances very well, surprised to see Harry Kane not at least hit the target with the second pen.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Who’s the favorite now? Argentina?
Last edited by Blanquito on Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

While I usually root for the underdog, I am definitely rooting for an Argentina/France final. Morocco and Croatia both earned their spots, but I'd much rather see the battle of the titans in the final.

SF Ed
jal

Post by jal »

Blanquito wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:19 am How’s the favorite now? Argentina?
Argentina is all Messi all the time, Patrick. The team could perform badly but he can win games single handedly. The team also rallies around him and would love to win it for him. Tactically and physically they are good, technically they have some weak performers in key positions. Di Maria and Otamendi are past their expiration date in my opinion.
Best

Jacques
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

I think we must first congratulate Qatar for ensuring no English hooligan display! Maybe Alcohol (except fine wine of course) should be banned before during and after football matches... or maybe it is just a Brexit dividend ... ;)

England were largely dominant with lots of possession and a few in field chances but could not convert any chance with an excellent LLoris.

French defenders recklessly gave 2 unnecessary penalties (given while no real goal chance to prevent) expressing a bit of panic under English pressure. They were lucky pressure led to a misKane.

Half the English team were around MBappe when France on the offensive which gave Griezmann and others lots of space and...
Two beautiful goals,

England have very good young players to build from so it maybe coming back home next time

Lesson for France: can't afford to sit back when leading on the scoreboard as the defence is rather shaky/nervous... at least, there are the only side who did not go through extra time and sat back for a long period after 1-0 so will probably be the freshest side (plus they played a 2nd team against Tunisia)

So far, no extra time, no penalty shoot out (neither in 2018)
jal

Post by jal »

Solid performance Albiceleste!
Messi was amazing
Allez les Bleus!!
Give us a final for the ages! No Moroccan busparkers
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Who's going to win, Mr. Levy?
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I am looking forward to a narrow Argentina win on Sunday. Should be a great match-up with both sides more offensive than defensive.

SF Ed
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Going to be a great final. I'm sticking with Argentina to win it (their name seems to be written on the trophy) but wouldn't be disappointed to see France win it either.

Jacques - would be great to see Konate get a spot in the final starting lineup.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm pulling for France, even though I know nothing.
What was up with Argentina mocking those guys the other day....
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:30 am Massive game last night and it would have been a travesty if Holland had won on pens having played some negatively on extra time.

Au autre jeu immense ce soir (aujourdhui dans America). Nous Anglais sont vraiment les underdogs.
Ian
It is a shame that this is how the games get resolved. I feel sorry for the teams that are knocked out simply as someone has to be knocked out.
jal

Post by jal »

Jim,
I think the French are an excellent team, they do the minimum to achieve the maximum. The are just born winners with a fantastic coach. They were outplayed by England and Morocco and managed to win both games. My heart says Messi but my head is saying France.
And yes, the Argentinians did not exactly cover themselves in sportsmanship glory but I have long ago stopped expecting sportsmanship in soccer. For that, I turn to Federer and Nadal in tennis

Ian,
Konate was Gandalf on the bridge of Khazad Dum! What an awesome performance. He is so much better than Upamecano even if playing in the slightly unfamiliar role of left center back.

The Moroccans were very impressive, I was sure they would park the bus the whole game but falling behind early forced them to attack and they looked very good. They did themselves proud.
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

Claudius2 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:33 pm
Comte Flaneur wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:30 am Massive game last night and it would have been a travesty if Holland had won on pens having played some negatively on extra time.

Au autre jeu immense ce soir (aujourdhui dans America). Nous Anglais sont vraiment les underdogs.
Ian
It is a shame that this is how the games get resolved. I feel sorry for the teams that are knocked out simply as someone has to be knocked out.
Mark, at some point in the not too far past, instead of penalties teams were eliminated by coin toss. Penalties are definitely a crappy way to determine a winner, but no better way has been found. Golden Goal and Silver Goal just left fans with an abrupt strange finish.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
Penalties are definitely a crappy way to determine a winner, but no better way has been found.
>>

When I was coaching kid's soccer in the last millennium, in one league ties were decided by short overtime periods. At the end of each overtime, the number of players on a team was reduced by one. I thought that was much better than having an idiotic penalty kick-off.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Up to now, what a final. 3-3, and not over yet...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow!
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

What a match. And I'm not even a real soccer fan.
jal

Post by jal »

Best Final ֵֵֵEver
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Argentina’s keeper is terrific. Against the Dutch and now French, he came up huge in the penalties.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jal wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:18 pm Best Final ֵֵֵEver
Agreed
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I usually find soccer boring but this final match was incredible. First half was all Argentina and it looked over up until that penalty kick 80 mins in then a few minutes later game was tied. Those last 10 mins in regulation had us on the edge of our seats but two penalty kick goals in the last ? mins made us question any bias in the reffing to let the blue back in the game. I'm not a fan of deciding the finals on a shootout and not sure why extra time is not sudden death but this was THE most exciting soccer match I've ever seen. That doesn't mean I'll become a convert moving forward.... Until 2026!
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
Best Final ֵֵֵEver
>>

Only until it went to a kick off. I repeat: this is a ridiculous way to break a tie. Can you imagine the Super Bowl being decided by lining up five players each team to try to kick extra points?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:50 am >>
Best Final ֵֵֵEver
>>

Only until it went to a kick off. I repeat: this is a ridiculous way to break a tie. Can you imagine the Super Bowl being decided by lining up five players each team to try to kick extra points?
I couldn’t agree more, oh wise one. This is the biggest turnoff for me with soccer/European futbol. Why not do something like what baseball does nowadays with a runner on 2nd base to start the extra innings? How about something like sudden-death while taking a player off from each side for every 3-5 minutes of the 2nd extra time until you’re down to 2 players a side including the keeper. If still tied, the keepers get pulled too and then it’s one-on-one.

Think of the drama! Come on, Messi vs Mbappé mano an mano to decide the World Cup? And so much more satisfying than penalties.
Last edited by Blanquito on Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim

Post by tim »

While it is a crazy way to decide a tie, on the other hand it really does demonstrate the strength of the entire team versus just two players. Yes, it is dependent on the goalkeeper and some luck, but it is also a testament to the skill of the five that take the shots.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
Yes, it is dependent on the goalkeeper and some luck, but it is also a testament to the skill of the five that take the shots.
>>

OK, Tim; you have convinced me. Ties at the end of a short overtime in the Super Bowl will henceforth be decided by having five players kick extra points. We'll test the foot skills of the five who take the shots. I mean, the game is FOOTball, yes?
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Not a band final. Not as good as Istanbul 2005 ... :D :lol:

Seriously, was a great WC and an epic final to cap it off. Got to be pleased to see Messi finally lift the trophy he most coveted.
jal

Post by jal »

The intensity, the drama, the commitment of the players, the coaching, this was an unreal, edge of your seat, spectacle. We were treated to a wonderful final and a "where were you when?" moment in time.
Both teams missed chances in the last minute of extra time. Breathless.
As for penalties, no one likes them but there are no good solutions, Golden Goal (sudden death) was tried and abandoned, so was Silver Goal (the team that is in the lead at the end of the first 15 minutes of extra time wins).
One solution I have heard is to play as many 15 minutes periods as needed but allow for 5 more subs after 90 minutes to have some fresh legs, another is to allow subbed players to return, I don't know, I'm a purist. The drama of penalty kicks adds a different dimension to the game even if a win through penalties is somewhat unsatisfying.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
a win through penalties is somewhat unsatisfying.
>>

Your understatement of the year. It ruins an otherwise good sport, even if some other archaic rules (substitution, for example) should be changed as well.