SF Ed and MichaelP in SF

SF Ed

SF Ed and MichaelP in SF

Post by SF Ed »

Lisa and I had MichaelP and Nalan over for dinner last night. It was a treat to see them - it had been far too long.

We started by trying a MichaelP mystery wine. Looked old to me, a bit cloudy and red. Acid and little tannin on the palate, with ripe red fruit and a long finish. I was not at all sure what it was, but ultimately thought it was a CdP from the 1970s. It turned out to be a 1988 Rayas. It showed much older than I would have expected and a subtle and excellent wine. The few times I have had Rayas I have liked it, but I'd rather spend my CdP money on Beaucastel or Pegau.

We then had Champagne with gougeres. The Champagne was one I hadn't had before, a 2017 Ruppert Leroy Martin-Fontaine. Oddball grower Champagne, 100% Chardonnay with very low dosage. I liked it but it isn't for everyone, and something I would serve except with wine folks. Very vinous, very lean. Still tight, but lots of complexity and fruit to come.

With a homemade lasagna we had my mystery wine. Very youthful, purple in color, with ripe fruit but not a lot of depth and length. Knowing what I tend to serve, Nalan guessed 1964 Bordeaux. She was right - it was a 1964 Troplong Mondot. It never was a great wine, but very typical for a well-stored St. Emilion from 1964 with its ripe fruit. We all enjoyed it a lot.

Michael also brought a 1983 Pichon Lalande which we had non-blind. Very youthful and it great shape, it was a pleasure to drink. Very 1983 in being complete, balanced, and fully mature without being over the hill.

With a chestnut and cognac souffle we had a half of 1986 Rayne Vigne Sauternes. In perfect shape and the right time to drink it. Not too sweet, good botrytis, good upfront palate, and a great match with the souffle.

A good time had by all, and a great reminder to get together with your fellow BWEers!
1.jpeg
SF Ed
JCNorthway

Re: SF Ed and MichaelP in SF

Post by JCNorthway »

Sounds like a lot of fun with some interesting wine experiences. Thanks for reporting.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Cloudy mystery wines from Michael P, 1964s from SF Ed, even the “Gwyneth Paltro of wines” makes an appearance… Life is good. Long live BWE!
AKR

Post by AKR »

Lot of wine!
jal

Post by jal »

A BWE get together is always an opportunity to crack open the good stuff. Very heartwarming report
Too bad about the mediocre Rayas but at 34 years of age, it may have earned the right to be cranky. When Rayas is on, for me, it is a wow, best wine ever, experience.
Pichon Lalande was firing on all cylinders with the trio of 81-82-83
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

The food, though?
Gougères, Home made lasagna, chestnut and cognac souffle. Sounds amazing!!
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice report Ed.

Surely a nice time, and me too I miss my BWE friends.

Sad fot the Rayas, as i liked that wine and find it magic, when it is on. But i buy more Beaucastel too... Talking about the regular cuvėe of Beaucastel, what is the best age to open?

The 1983 Pichon Lalande has always been a solid Pauillac. And when you think about it, 1983 was kind of in the shadow of 1982, but good amount of solid red Bordeaux in the Médoc produced, like the Cordier Saint-Julien, LLC, Rausan, Palmer, Cantemerle and La Lagune.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

jal wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:40 pm Too bad about the mediocre Rayas
I don't think the Rayas was mediocre - it was WOTN for MichaelP. I think it is more that I don't properly appreciate Rayas, the same way I don't properly appreciate DRC and Petrus. Its not that they aren't good, but there are much less expensive wines that I like more from the same regions.

SF Ed
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Nice BWE dinner!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nice night.

Just took delivery of 3 pristine-looking 1983. Glad to hear these are still showing well.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Well stored bottles of the ‘83 Pichon Lalande like the one that I had last year that Dale brought to a dinner I organized at Harvest on the Hudson are awesome and in that fully resolved stage of Bdx excellence. And so good that Mark went out and sourced some afterwards.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice! Rayas is a wow for me too but due to the price my Châteauneuf-du-Pape dollars end up going to Beaucastel.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Thank you SF Ed and Lisa for hosting and making such amazing and yummy foods. And the great wines! The gougeres were light and airy and cheesy. Nalan would not normally eat such things (bread and cheese) but she went through quite a few. The lasagna was unlike any you've probably had because it was delicate and complex. I had a big second serving. Yum! The souffle was light and fluffy and SO flavorful. Wow!

And then the wines. All were good, no duds. I agree with Ed's notes with some differences noted:

The Champagne was more interesting, especially to wine geeks, than yummy. Good flavors but somewhat linear and a very short gone forever finish.

The Rayas was amazing. Yes it looked older than it was, maybe 70s or even 60s. And at first it was too cold but to tell much but after an hour it delivered. Rich, deep, complex and very long. Pomegranate, plum, cranberry. My WOTN.

I think both Nalan and I thought the 64 was better than SF Ed gives it, very enjoyable.

Michael-P