2019 Ch. Siran

William P

2019 Ch. Siran

Post by William P »

I saw Arv's post that 2019 Ch. Siran was at Costco for $25 a bottle; I thought I would venture into vintage 2019.  Sadly the Siran while a well crafted wine, was not the profile that I like.

Siran is a blend of 47% Merlot, 45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Petit Verdot, 1% Cabernet Franc.  The critics seem to like it but I found it very extracted.  I drank this at a friend's house so I did not give full attention to critiquing. The color was a dark almost opaque purple, like royal purple.  On the nose was ripe berries, blue and black.  There was a hint of oak, not offensive or overwhelming.  The nose was very fruit forward.  Some earth was present.

Structurally, Siran is balanced but with such big fruit I would have preferred higher acidity.  Given the heat of 2019, I suspect one plays the hand dealt.  The bottle was double decanted and within ten minutes of my initial sip, the tannins dissipated leaving a young and fruity mixture.  The initial tannins were roundish and mild.  The Chateau seems to believe this is a 20-30 year wine.  I wouldn't bet on that.

This is far bigger than medium bodied wine.  It's medium plus, plus or even heavy.  As I said with the nose, the initial taste is very fruit forward.  Blueberry jam, blackberry compote, some oak which was well integrated.  Later I experienced coffee/mocha.  The wine is so round and fruit driven there was a sense of sweetness.

Stylistically this is not in my wheel house.  While well made, I found little of place, neither Margaux nor Bordeaux is well represented.  It is a fine California wine.  The price is fabulous.  Good quality, but I am not backing up the truck.  I found the 2016 to be more to my liking.

Bill
Last edited by William P on Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimHow

Re: 2019 Ch. Siran

Post by JimHow »

Great note, Bill, I've loved the 2016 and even the 2018 as well.
I think I'll buy a bottle of the 2019 and taste it before going blindly into a case purchase.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I liked the 15 and 16 Siran a lot and I bought a bunch, but I admit liking them less over time. These vintages could be wines best Howed.

The 19 sounds bad, for my tastes. Thanks for the warning label, Bill!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for that report Bill. Very detailled and informative and scary at the same time, as i'm expecting a lot from 2019, as up to now i did not enjoyed any 2018...
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ugh! I bought some of this quite cheaply, but now I am paying the carry at 10% a year on the case so maybe I will stop out.
AKR

Post by AKR »

This link might work for some of you in private/incognito mode.

https://vinous.com/articles/chateau-sir ... 8-jun-2020

(It used to work for me, but now cuts out after a few paragraphs)
William P

Post by William P »

A quick follow-up note. I had another bottle to double check my first impression. This bottle was popped and poured with no decanting or slow oxygenation. I found the wine much lighter and fresher the first hour but as the evening passed the and the wine opened I found it got heavy and less interesting as reported earlier.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Interesting notes on the 2019 Siran. I went back to the Vinous website to see what their reviews said. Galloni rated it 94 with drinking window of 2027-2049. Neal Martin rated it 94 with drinking window of 2024-2060.

Galloni did say, "There's not a lot of subtlety here, but, then, again, who cares?"
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh there's not a lot of subtlety when it comes to Siran.
Bill's notes have me a little spooked but if I find a case at the $25 price out there on the left coast, I'm buying.