Steak, steak, steak, steak, claret, Chinon and Chianti

Comte Flaneur

Steak, steak, steak, steak, claret, Chinon and Chianti

Post by Comte Flaneur »

A good friend of mine hosted a steak dinner in his apartment on Wednesday:

76A360EB-5853-4CDA-9BD7-069FF7AD89BC.jpeg

My system is still processing all those lovely steaks, here are my impressions of the wines.

Veuve Cliquot 2008

Served blind…a bit dull, lacking drive, a bit of a yawn, I didn’t want to speak up because I was worried it might be something posher like the next wine…87 pts…my #11th rated wine

Dom Perignon 2008 Rose

Lorra lorra fizz, good length but bitter red wine element on the back - ageworthy, nicely balanced ….then it suddenly goes up a gear as it warms and opens, sadly the last few drops - drank out of an ordinary flute - those last drops were sublime and I can see what the fuss is about, why the well heeled cognoscenti pay up for this stuff - candidate for rose wine of the year…93 pts…my #7wine

Chateau Palmer 1983

Delightful of course, but tired and lacking energy of a good bottle. Good bottles of Ch Palmer 1983, are epic like good bottles of Ch. Margaux 1983, both strong contenders for wotv. But this was nowhere near that level, but at the same time you have no difficultly in quaffing this…91 pts…my #9 wine

Leoville Barton 1985 en magnum

Fully mature now, mellow, almost zen-like, with tobacco and a lovely green note. Based on the first pour, like the Palmer it was losing a little bit of focus and grip, but otherwise still very lovely classical aged claret. It picks itself up, however, and ends up on a high note …93 pts…my #5 wine

Montrose 1985

Cool-fruited, tobacco and smokiness, nicely gripppy and tensile vs the Barton, just a point, and while the Barton came on strong at the end this was my wine of the flight, the difference was the Montrose had that extra bit of exhilarating tension. Just splendid….94 pts…my #3 wine

Duhart Milon 1996

I drank through a whole case of this early maturing 1996 with great pleasure, and Leon’s last bottle continued in that vein. Lafite like entry of lead pencils, cedar without quite the precision or presence of Lafite on the palate, but with appealing earthy tobacco notes. Classic Pauillac, at its apogee now…92…my #8 wine

Mouton Rothschild 1996

Unlike the Duhart, this 1996 has evolved painfully slowly, but it is now beginning to hit its stride. It is much more energetic, multi-faceted, layered and complex than its flight mate. It was my fourth ranked wine in last year’s 1996 tasting behind Lafite Margaux and La Mission, and this was the best bottle yet; but is still not quite fully integrated and fully mature. But is already shaping up to be an epic Mouton, and the best of the 1990s…96+ …my #1 wine of the night

Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissee 2009

Like the Duhart Milon a wine at its apogee, but more complex and interesting. This is ripe, savoury and well into its drinking window, still with a good line of grippy acidity overlaid with autumnal, mineral, ferrous, meaty, peppery and green notes. It finishes ever so well too…94 pts…my #4 wine

Clos Rougeard Poyeux 2004

Perhaps the most eagerly anticipated wine on the table this did not disappoint and exuded class. Absolutely top drawer and beguiling, it is intense with rich but cool fruits and at the same time beautifully balanced, with a refreshing mossy green note…95 pts …my #2 wine

Berardenga Chianti Classico Rancia Riserva 2007

My least favourite wine of the flight and came across as heavy and ponderous compared to the two Loire cab francs…90 pts…my #10 wine

Bonus: Caparsino Chianti Classico Riserva 2012 - now that’s more like it! 93 pts…my #6 wine
jckba

Re: Steak, steak, steak, steak, claret, Chinon and Chianti

Post by jckba »

Sounds like a great night and with 2 Loire Valley cab francs in the top 4; that seems noteworthy strong finish amongst this set of wines.
Last edited by jckba on Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m not surprised by the ‘96 Mouton finish.
Is it 2016-like?
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:21 am A good friend of mine hosted a steak dinner in his apartment on Wednesday:

76A360EB-5853-4CDA-9BD7-069FF7AD89BC.jpeg

My system is still processing all those lovely steaks, here are my impressions of the wines.

Veuve Cliquot 2008

Served blind…a bit dull, lacking drive, a bit of a yawn, I didn’t want to speak up because I was worried it might be something posher like the next wine…87 pts…my #11th rated wine

Dom Perignon 2008 Rose

Lorra lorra fizz, good length but bitter red wine element on the back - ageworthy, nicely balanced ….then it suddenly goes up a gear as it warms and opens, sadly the last few drops - drank out of an ordinary flute - those last drops were sublime and I can see what the fuss is about, why the well heeled cognoscenti pay up for this stuff - candidate for rose wine of the year…93 pts…my #7wine

Chateau Palmer 1983

Delightful of course, but tired and lacking energy of a good bottle. Good bottles of Ch Palmer 1983, are epic like good bottles of Ch. Margaux 1983, both strong contenders for wotv. But this was nowhere near that level, but at the same time you have no difficultly in quaffing this…91 pts…my #9 wine

Leoville Barton 1985 en magnum

Fully mature now, mellow, almost zen-like, with tobacco and a lovely green note. Based on the first pour, like the Palmer it was losing a little bit of focus and grip, but otherwise still very lovely classical aged claret. It picks itself up, however, and ends up on a high note …93 pts…my #5 wine

Montrose 1985

Cool-fruited, tobacco and smokiness, nicely gripppy and tensile vs the Barton, just a point, and while the Barton came on strong at the end this was my wine of the flight, the difference was the Montrose had that extra bit of exhilarating tension. Just splendid….94 pts…my #3 wine

Duhart Milon 1996

I drank through a whole case of this early maturing 1996 with great pleasure, and Leon’s last bottle continued in that vein. Lafite like entry of lead pencils, cedar without quite the precision or presence of Lafite on the palate, but with appealing earthy tobacco notes. Classic Pauillac, at its apogee now…92…my #8 wine

Mouton Rothschild 1996

Unlike the Duhart, this 1996 has evolved painfully slowly, but it is now beginning to hit its stride. It is much more energetic, multi-faceted, layered and complex than its flight mate. It was my fourth ranked wine in last year’s 1996 tasting behind Lafite Margaux and La Mission, and this was the best bottle yet; but is still not quite fully integrated and fully mature. But is already shaping up to be an epic Mouton, and the best of the 1990s…96+ …my #1 wine of the night

Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissee 2009

Like the Duhart Milon a wine at its apogee, but more complex and interesting. This is ripe, savoury and well into its drinking window, still with a good line of grippy acidity overlaid with autumnal, mineral, ferrous, meaty, peppery and green notes. It finishes ever so well too…94 pts…my #4 wine

Clos Rougeard Poyeux 2004

Perhaps the most eagerly anticipated wine on the table this did not disappoint and exuded class. Absolutely top drawer and beguiling, it is intense with rich but cool fruits and at the same time beautifully balanced, with a refreshing mossy green note…95 pts …my #2 wine

Berardenga Chianti Classico Rancia Riserva 2007

My least favourite wine of the flight and came across as heavy and ponderous compared to the two Loire cab francs…90 pts…my #10 wine

Bonus: Caparsino Chianti Classico Riserva 2012 - now that’s more like it! 93 pts…my #6 wine
Wow!! Some killer bottles, and some of the best cab franc around which brings me to this quote;

Charles Joguet, the great winemaker of Chinon, once said: "there are two suns. One shines outside for everybody. The second shines in the Foucaults' (Rougeard) cellar." 🙌
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

Always very interesting and formative to read you Ian.
happy to read for Mouton 96, one of my trophies in my cellar...

I'm curious to know how the Steak was, can you give us your thought and feeling…

JeanFred
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Hi JeanFred
I was paying much more attention to the wines but liked the first one the best: the River Cafe Tartare which was sublime. The Dexter rump was served very rare and was good, the Swedish sirloin was disappointing, while the chateaubriand was too well done for my liking, and I didn’t finish it … partly also because my system cannot process that amount of steak. In fact it took three days. That cannot be good for you and I already had bowel cancer once before, so I am not going to do that again…but that is not to take anything away from the generosity of the hosts Gareth and Fran, who also supplied the magnum of Leoville Barton and the demi-mag of Montrose.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Pre-1989, one hears so little about Montrose compared to other Super Seconds. So I read your note on the 85 with interest, and clearly at least that vintage is one I’d very much enjoy at Montrose. I wonder if Montrose’s so-so rep in the 80’s (and probably the 70’s too) is still mostly attributable to Parker’s lingering influence.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Wow, you must really trust your friend to eat steak tartare at his house!

Also, who is “Dexter” and why were you eating his rump?